Avionics upgrade in 205

Theboys

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Theboys
I'm planning a avionics upgrade on my cessna 205. Option one is aspen efd1000pro with garmin 530. Pma8000b-t audio panel and use my old transponder for now and my nav com that I already have. Option two is a g500 with a gtn750 with compatible built in audio panel and transponder. No decision yet on number two com. The quotes I have are similar for what is included in each package. Of course the g500 package is more expensive. I would like to hear a few opinions on this. I'm leaning towards the g500 package.

Save $4k and get the 650. You will only use it to input your flight plan and select your approaches, don't really need the larger screen

I'm planning a avionics upgrade on my cessna 205. Option one is aspen efd1000pro with garmin 530. Pma8000b-t audio panel and use my old transponder for now and my nav com that I already have. Option two is a g500 with a gtn750 with compatible built in audio panel and transponder. No decision yet on number two com. The quotes I have are similar for what is included in each package. Of course the g500 package is more expensive. I would like to hear a few opinions on this. I'm leaning towards the g500 package.

I am going through the same process for my Arrow.

G-500 and 430W similar price to an Aspen 2000 and a GTN650

G500! You won't be sorry

I love my G600, and ALWAYS buy the bigger screen with Garmin products, 530 over 430, 750 over the 650, you will never regret the bigger display and more information! :D:D

I would consider how much your aircraft is worth and how much IFR you do as much as cost. Painful as it is to say, it is really easy to over buy avionics for older aircraft. If this is a "lifetime" plane, truly, then I'd do the G500. Otherwise I would keep the cost down as much as possible like a simple Aspen and good GPS.

G500! You won't be sorry
I'm in this camp. I replaced the steam gauges in my DA40 with the Garmin G500 and would take this over the G1000 that comes in newer DA40s. I think the Aspen displays are too narrow. The SVT option for the G500 was about half the price charged for the G1000 when that time comes.

I love the physical size of the G-500. ( mind you I have only flown the simulator). In reality the G-500 is comparable to the Aspen 1500 setup, in that is has no redundancy and has a PFD on one side and a MFD on the other.

In my mind if I am going to go with the smaller physical size of the
Aspen 1500 I should be getting more bang for my buck. Since the Aspen 2000 has redundancy (reversion) for the PFD I put it on par with the G-500 even though it is smaller.

So, if comparing the G-500 with the Aspen 2000 here are some ballpark numbers

Aspen 2000 setup with the EA-100 AP interface is around $23,500 installed.

The G-500 with the GAD-43 AP interface is around $25,000 installed.

Aspen is compatible with more stuff than Garmin.

Garmin is still bigger.

Aspen Synthetic Vision is less cost

Aspen plates are less expensive and are Georeferenced. You need to buy the Jep app for about $2100 to buy the more expensive Jep Plates to get georeferencing.

Lots to consider.

None of the above includes a GPS or a new Audion Panel. You should be able to get the PMA-8000 with BT for around $2800 installed.

GTN-650 $11,995 no GI-106A
GTN-750 $15,995 no GI-106A
GNS-430 $9,995 no GI-106A

I love the physical size of the G-500. ( mind you I have only flown the simulator). In reality the G-500 is comparable to the Aspen 1500 setup, in that is has no redundancy and has a PFD on one side and a MFD on the other.

In my mind if I am going to go with the smaller physical size of the
Aspen 1500 I should be getting more bang for my buck. Since the Aspen 2000 has redundancy (reversion) for the PFD I put it on par with the G-500 even though it is smaller.

So, if comparing the G-500 with the Aspen 2000 here are some ballpark numbers

Aspen 2000 setup with the EA-100 AP interface is around $23,500 installed.

The G-500 with the GAD-43 AP interface is around $25,000 installed.

Aspen is compatible with more stuff than Garmin.

Garmin is still bigger.

Aspen Synthetic Vision is less cost

Aspen plates are less expensive and are Georeferenced. You need to buy the Jep app for about $2100 to buy the more expensive Jep Plates to get georeferencing.

Lots to consider.

None of the above includes a GPS or a new Audion Panel. You should be able to get the PMA-8000 with BT for around $2800 installed.

GTN-650 $11,995 no GI-106A
GTN-750 $15,995 no GI-106A
GNS-430 $9,995 no GI-106A

For about 25k they don't include the gps than what the heck are they giving you for 25k besides this little LCD and wiring? I thought getting a g500 included gps? This avionics business is wild they are making a killing off this stuff.

I guess the 172 has a GDL88. Personally the GDL88 with diversity antennas looks like the ultimate "TCAS-like" traffic system availabe.

Here's a question that you might not have asked yet:

What autopilots can be interfaced to the G500 vs the Aspen without additional approvals?

If the G500 can seamlessly integrated into a top of the line garmin autopilot

vs

Aspen to ???

Which one will be a better install after the fact, later down the road?

Both can work with the older Legacy styles like the Century and Piper labeled Century. This is at a cost however, The GAD-43 is needed with the G-500 at a cost of $4995 and for the Aspen you need an EA-100 at a cost of $2495

Those are all I have researched as I have the Piper IIIB

The autopilot question is a legitimate one, my 421B had a Bendix A/P and the G600 wouldn't work with it, so I put in the single Aspen unit.
Here's a question that you might not have asked yet:

What autopilots can be interfaced to the G500 vs the Aspen without additional approvals?

If the G500 can seamlessly integrated into a top of the line garmin autopilot

vs

Aspen to ???

This airplane has an old Mitchell Executive II autopilot that works for the heading bug anyways. Its my understanding that a lot of old hardware (DG, Horizon, ??) would have to be retained to keep it anywheres near operational.

IDK if there is enough panel space to keep the autopilot operational and install the G500.

The difference in price installed I was quoted for the g500 versus the single screen aspen was about 3500. The quoted price difference for the 530 versus the 750 is 1900. The audio panel for the 750 is about 1800 more but it is hidden and operated with 750. Same with transponder. I'm going to do one or the other. The g500 won't work with as many autopilots but will work with mine they say. I fly the g1000 and really like that, but, have never flown with aspen. I could get along with a 650 I think and don't know if in long run it wouldn't be just as well to spend the extra for the 750. I know that money wise this is not a good investment but the airplane is very nice and with the avionics upgrade will be a fantastic plane. Just got done hand flying steam gauges 5.3 hours (different airplane) in hard imc and that wears a person down. Either one of these packages will be improvement over that.

Looks like the upper instrument panel is the same dimensions by eyeballs.

C205:

VS

G500 late model 210

The difference in price installed I was quoted for the g500 versus the single screen aspen was about 3500.

Something about that doesn't sound right. The difference between a G-500 and Aspen1000 should be closer to $8000

I originally wanted to go with the 750 for the larger screen, but if you have either the G-500 or the Aspen it is their screen you will be looking at not the GPS. With this in mind I decided to save $4000 and go with the 650

The quotes are from two different places. The guy who quoted the aspen is on the high side on the whole bid it looks like. (But I have used the higher guys services before so know him.) Like the 2000 difference for 530 versus 750.

ok just curious,

My challenge is that my local shop has offered a G-500 with a free 430W. That puts the pricing delta very close between the G-500 and the Aspen 1500

I have to weigh whether or not I really want the older 430W and how is he able to offer this. Used 430W's are going for $6K to $7K

Save $4k and get the 650. You will only use it to input your flight plan and select your approaches, don't really need the larger screen
I agree to some extent -- if you get the G500 package, the bigger screen of the 750 is a bit wasted (but not entirely, so if you have the money, why not?). But either way, I've flown with both setups, and the G500 is a far superior flight deck.

I would really like to fly both. I have friends with the Aspen but don't know anyone with a 500, so all I can do is play with the simulator which is pretty awesome.

In order to afford the 500 I would have to go with the free 430W and that is bit of a sticking point for me with the 430 going our of production soon

Back