Avionics Shop?

Fast n' Furious

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iJustLanded
I'm having a problem with my KFC-150 autopilot not wanting to track a VOR or ILS/LOC while in the NAV or APCH mode. The flight director also does not want to display deviation from the course or glideslope. Both NAV heads (the HSI and the number 2 OBS) work normally. Pretty certain that a trip to the avionics shop is in the works but in the meantime does anyone have any good hints as to what I can do (keep it clean, please!) to track down the problem and failing that, any good recommendations for an avionics shop in the NJ, Delaware or Eastern PA areas?

Fast n' Furious said:
I'm having a problem with my KFC-150 autopilot not wanting to track a VOR or ILS/LOC while in the NAV or APCH mode. The flight director also does not want to display deviation from the course or glideslope. Both NAV heads (the HSI and the number 2 OBS) work normally. Pretty certain that a trip to the avionics shop is in the works but in the meantime does anyone have any good hints as to what I can do (keep it clean, please!) to track down the problem and failing that, any good recommendations for an avionics shop in the NJ, Delaware or Eastern PA areas?

Can't give any specific shop recommendations, but look for a shop that has all the special equipment required to isolate the problem.

Also you can cut the cost of diagnosis considerably if you can be specific about how you set the A/P, and nav gear when it fails to work. Try to find a way to duplicate the problem on the ground if at all possible. Either way write your setup and symptoms down for the tech, as things tend to get a bit confused when passed by word or mouth.

I've had good experience with Penn Avionics. they just moved to N99 (brandywine at West Chester, pa)

J.R. I've had my KFC-200 to the shop couple times. Go to a shop that has the full set of test equipment for that AP as Lance said. It's a specialized, expensive deal, but can trouble shoot the whole system. Otherwise, they're just guessing. And if it's gonna get bench tested, get the entire system checked or you may get to be a repeat visitor!!

As Lance said, do all you can to isolate the problem or you will be paying for a test flight where they try to do the same thing and don't know the problem as well as you.

Dave

If this was happening in the airplane I fly for work I would simply ask the autopilot/nav system/flight director what the problem was and it would self diagnose. Unfortunately, while Rocinante is really pretty, she's just not that smart. The NAV receivers are recieving the NAV signal and displaying my deviation from that course properly. The flight director is not commanding corrections and the autopilot with not follow the selected course in NAV or APCH. On the GPS side of the house, everything is pretty much good to go. Spin up the avionics rehabilition AMU account....we've just gone to DEFCON Four! :eek:

Performance Aviation at Flying W (N14) in southern NJ has a really good avionics shop.

I've never used them, but I heard lots of other pilots wax happy about the shop at Lancaster, PA (KLNS).

If you are willing to fly a little farther east to Hartford-Brainard (HFD), I highly recommend VIP Avionics. Rob Lenert and his staff are very good and they have all the equipment to make the diagnosis. You'll get an honest evaluation.

Fast n' Furious said:
Spin up the avionics rehabilition AMU account....we've just gone to DEFCON Four! :eek:

Geesh, only DEFCOM four! You must have some GREAT benifits or a family trust you haven't told us about :goofy:

Dave

Maybe I understated the level of response, Dave. Let's just go to weapons free and the use of credit cards has been authorized. This is not a drill.
JC
Defending democracy...not practicing it!

I'll put in a pitch for Quaker Avionics at Quakertown (UKT). Eric knows his stuff and have never had a bad experience. Never used Penn Avionics. The shop at Lancaster has had some good reviews.

Gary

Thanks to Bob B and Gary for their recommendations. I'll do some calling around on Monday and see who'd like to have my "bidness". We've just cancelled Christmas at our house in preparation for this.

Fast n' Furious said:
Thanks to Bob B and Gary for their recommendations. I'll do some calling around on Monday and see who'd like to have my "bidness". We've just cancelled Christmas at our house in preparation for this.

Uhh Awwww! Didn't mean to be the one to cause the 82nd to go on standby!! (A former room mate of mine was with the unit when it did that during the Pueblo crysis. After it settled, they deployed the 82nd to RVN instead of Korea--since they were all dressed up with no place else to go.)

My past experiences on the KFC-200 haven't been terrible--worst was $1,000. Hopefully it will be a lesser issue than what I had. Did have to rebuild the HSI once also.

Dave

Call Airport Radio in Easton, PA (Braden, N43) and speak with Charlie. He does excellent work.

RotaryWingBob said:
I've never used them, but I heard lots of other pilots wax happy about the shop at Lancaster, PA (KLNS).

Lancaster Avionics. 717-569-1953; owner is Mark. They do all the avionics work on the Mooney. Wait until after Mark calls me back regarding my static/transponder/altimeter check scheduling before putting your aircraft on the schedule book.;)

I spoke to Mark at Lancaster Avionics today. The airplane is scheduled to get the once over on 1/4/06 if not before. Real easy bunch of folks to talk to and eager to get the job done. Thanks to all for your recommendations.
John

Went to Lancaster Avionics today. Mark and Todd got me right in and work started within ten minutes of me pulling up to the door. The tech already had a plan in mind based on our discussion a few weeks back and got to it. Nice breakfast over at the terminal and a visit to the pilot shop and voila.....Rocinante was all mo' betta. Found a bad relay, replaced it, made some adjustments, did some testing and some paperwork and I was on my way. Less than one AMU. These guys are great. I recommend Lancaster Avionics wholeheartedly! Thanks for the tip Ed and company.

Back