Avionics panel design software

Llk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
glbtrottr
I know that different shops use various software to cut panels.
I’ve heard of xpanel, I’m familiar with SolidWorks (not a panel program but a CAD suite)…

My question is…who has a library of the existing dimensions for panels of certified aircraft already? Say I have a C150M, an M20E, pick your plane and ywar. Is there someone with an extensive list of panel dimensions where you start with blank metal and overlay dimensions of avionics as needed ? As well as dimensions for existing available avionics?

What do the pros use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use TurboCAD and have a decent list of previous panels, as do I’m sure many others. That is proprietary information (intelectual property), though. You may find a shop that will share, but they may charge you for it.

My question is…who has a library of the existing dimensions for panels of certified aircraft already? Say I have a C150M, an M20E, pick your plane and ywar. Is there someone with an extensive list of panel dimensions where you start with blank metal and overlay dimensions of avionics as needed ? As well as dimensions for existing available avionics?
I used the panel designer at https://hangarflying.com/ for the last update on my RV-4. They've overhauled the site since I did my work there but it look like they've got panel blanks for several TC'd airplanes (172, PA28) and a lot of avionics and instruments. It used to be free, I didn't check to see if they've started charging for use since I last used it.

Nauga,
and panimal logic

We use TurboCAD and have a decent list of previous panels, as do I’m sure many others. That is proprietary information (intelectual property), though. You may find a shop that will share, but they may charge you for it.

I appreciate it - but “proprietary” is precisely what I am not looking for. I don’t need to see anyone else’s previous designs - I am simply looking for the BLANK TEMPLATES people use for any model year, and the collection of instrument templates available to date. What brilliant designs some avionics shop had doesn’t concern me; the dimensions of a standard “pick your airplane” - 19xx baron, 19xx duchess, 1976 150, etc is what I’m looking for.

I began doing CAD in 1985 with computervision, CADAM and cascade, to date myself- and I own SolidWorks. I’m not unfamiliar with the concept. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, and want to know who sells actual templates and what people use to cut material once a panel is designed…

I used the panel designer at https://hangarflying.com/ for the last update on my RV-4. They've overhauled the site since I did my work there but it look like they've got panel blanks for several TC'd airplanes (172, PA28) and a lot of avionics and instruments. It used to be free, I didn't check to see if they've started charging for use since I last used it.

Nauga,
and panimal logic
That's the same I use. It even gives you an estimate on the price (hardware only)

I appreciate it - but “proprietary” is precisely what I am not looking for. I don’t need to see anyone else’s previous designs - I am simply looking for the BLANK TEMPLATES people use for any model year, and the collection of instrument templates available to date. What brilliant designs some avionics shop had doesn’t concern me; the dimensions of a standard “pick your airplane” - 19xx baron, 19xx duchess, 1976 150, etc is what I’m looking for.

I began doing CAD in 1985 with computervision, CADAM and cascade, to date myself- and I own SolidWorks. I’m not unfamiliar with the concept. I don’t want to reinvent the wheel, and want to know who sells actual templates and what people use to cut material once a panel is designed…

The manufactures for the most part have not developed the cad files for their products. The shops that have spent the time developing those files are entitled to be paid for that work. If you want to do all the cad work and put it out there in the public domain great, but I doubt anybody that has developed those files for their shop will want to give the data away.

I have a guy local to me who I have helped get set up with panel design. He is using CAD and a plasma cutting table. I think he just purchased one of the panel design software programs commercially and went to work.

There are several type groups who share this info freely though. The PA32 group and the C310 groups that I belong to certainly do.

If you’re that great with CAD, you’re going to spend more time trying to avoid working than you would if you just sat down and drew everything yourself. None of the panel drawings I’ve found for free were up to my standards for accuracy.

Everything I’ve done I’ve drawn on my own. My local avionics shop does the same.

Back