Avionics install lead time

KYPilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
KYPilot
If everything works out (which we know it always dose in aviation) I’ll hopefully be getting prebuy eval on plane purchase (sold my first plane 2 years ago-so by no means a pro at this but not a newbie either). The plane has a very old panel (kln 90/kx 155/ancient comm&transponder/skybeacon). Eventually want to upgrade it quite a bit and get rid of steam gauges but initially want to put a new navigator (650/440) immediately upon purchase. What kind of lead time are you all seeing for avionics install? Is there more of a delay on equipment or scheduling for labor? I’m sure this is different in every market, just trying to get an idea of what I can expect (going to call some local shops of course). TIA

My understanding is Garmin equipment is backordered 4-5 months... That is what my hangar neighbor was just told from his avionics shop.

6 months is what my avionics shop told me a couple weeks ago.
Some Garmin avionics are available sooner and some longer than 6 months.
My friend had a garmin 650Xi, 345 audio panel, I275 installed earlier this year by the same shop I use. All of that came in and was installed in approx 4 months. The 255 radio/nav has taken 7-8 months to be delivered.
\We are taking his plane over to have it installed finally the 28th of this month. It was ordered in March, took about 8 months for delivery.

Last edited:
Garmin seems to rotate which items are backordered. Maybe if you order a GTN 650 Xi today it will come tomorrow or maybe it will come next June. Talk to a Garmin dealer to get a quote and try to get them to order things for you with a reasonable estimate of an install date. (Better, talk to two or three of them to get quotes.)

I got a quicker turn around on Aspen, found a good used lynx-9000, and I do believe JWG has 440s in stock.

I’d figure 4-6 months lead time on any Garmin equipment right now. Lead time on other brands doesn’t seem as bad but getting an opening in a shop may still take a while.

Call the shop you’re planning to work with and ask these questions.

GFC500 took me 12 months, they had problems with servos and I heard they move manufacturing to resolve issues.
You will end up spending more money (installation costs) if you do the work piece by piece.

I got a quicker turn around on Aspen, found a good used lynx-9000, and I do believe JWG has 440s in stock.
Definitely ok with a 440 if timeframe reasonable. Only used 430/650 but honestly never liked the menu flow to them.

GFC500 took me 12 months, they had problems with servos and I heard they move manufacturing to resolve issues.
You will end up spending more money (installation costs) if you do the work piece by piece.
Agreed, I’d like to do it all at once but multiple factors probably won’t allow (lead time, budget, partner’s avionics aspirations, etc)

On the schedule for 10/10. Pushed back to 10/30. The Aspen showed up in 2 weeks but the servos for the Aerocruze are delayed.

Now ain’t the time to be redoing no panels. Buy a plane ready to go.
I'm redoing my panel because, although I could sell the plane at a bit of a gain, I wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement (with or without the panel I want) without over-spending. So I'm just over-spending on the panel and hedging that gas prices will be high during the work and low afterward. (Future me narration: It turned out that AvGas went down to $1.50 per gallon the entire time my plane was in the shop, and then spiked to $10 per gallon immediately before the acceptance flight.)

I'm redoing my panel because, although I could sell the plane at a bit of a gain, I wouldn't be able to find a suitable replacement (with or without the panel I want) without over-spending. So I'm just over-spending on the panel and hedging that gas prices will be high during the work and low afterward. (Future me narration: It turned out that AvGas went down to $1.50 per gallon the entire time my plane was in the shop, and then spiked to $10 per gallon immediately before the acceptance flight.)

I just put a new motor on my rig…took 6 months. Had to be done though.

This week Starting my Aerocruz 100 auto pilot install plus Aspen E5. Everything came in on time except for the servos which were delayed about three weeks.

Back