Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters

Larryo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Larryo
All,

I've written a few times about possibly adding a sub menu titled Avidyne Users, perhaps under Technical.... similar to the sub menu under "Places to Fly"

If this is the right place to post, please let me know if this can work. Thanks.

Larry Olson
St. Pete

Unless there is an overwhelming response of 'Yes yes we need this' responses, I doubt you can convince us that the volume of Avidyne topics present thus far justify such a need...

Chuck,

Larry had posted about starting an Avidyne User's Group. I don't know whether or not we have enough PoA'ers to justify a separate forum. However I do think PoA would make a good home for such a group.

Hopefully it will be a nice way to bring in new members.

Joe

IOW - one more vote for such a forum

Chuck,

Larry had posted about starting an Avidyne User's Group. I don't know whether or not we have enough PoA'ers to justify a separate forum. However I do think PoA would make a good home for such a group.

Hopefully it will be a nice way to bring in new members.

Joe

IOW - one more vote for such a forum

Chuck,

I've posted on this forum and one other, the BeechTalk Forum, and already have several interested folks. I'd like to tie in into an existing forum, catering to all aviators, that will attract more folks and that's why I feel that PofA makes a good first choice.

If this is a possibility, I will post it on other forums, including the Beechlist, ABS, AOPA and others, to make it a success.

For now, there is no Avidyne Users group, and this would tie in nicely on this forum. Please give it your consideration. Thanks.

http://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1637

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24455&highlight=avidyne

Larry Olson

We could potentially add it to the Pilot Communities sub-forum, but again, it will depend on whether it will actually get used (ie: demand).

We could potentially add it to the Pilot Communities sub-forum, but again, it will depend on whether it will actually get used (ie: demand).

I'll suggest that, if there is no other centralized resource for Avidyne users, creating one here would be a great service to those pilots who own them, and would also draw new, quality users to the board nicely.

There is a fair amount of Avidyne discussion on the Malibu owner association forum, but to access it you have to pay big buxx to belong to the owners group. I betcha a bunch of those folks would head here if there was a critical mass of other users.

What about a forum on "Technically Advanced Aircraft" with sub-forums for both Avidyne and Garmin? I would think that would cover a substantial number of pilots.

No reason why there couldn't be an additional entry under "Controlled Airspace" but frankly, I don't like the way the software handles submenus so I personally don't want to see any more.
But why stop at "Avidyne". You could just as easy make a case for any of the hi tech equipment. And what am I missing? Pick the correct forum and post away.

I think this might be a Chicken and Egg situation. If Larry's idea of an Avidyne User's Group pans out I expect most users of the sub-forum would not be current PoA members.

What would the MC consider adequate demand from current members for trial?

...And what am I missing? Pick the correct forum and post away.
I think the original concept was a new User's Group separate from all existing forums. Currently Avidyne users post in their respective type forums, I post my Avidyne questions/gripes in the Cirrus forums (COPA). Each of these AFAIK requires a paid membership. We really don't have a way to share information with the owners of different manufacturers.

Granted the setup in my Cirrus is a bit different than the one in a Malibu and the others but there is a lot in common.

I really don't know if it would be a good deal for PoA, I hope so.

Joe

I don't think anyone will be able to demonstrate that it will be a success until it is available. Consider it a "Build it and they will come" type thing. It won't see less use than some of the other pointed subforums here.

What about a forum on "Technically Advanced Aircraft" with sub-forums for both Avidyne and Garmin? I would think that would cover a substantial number of pilots.

See, I knew you weren't stupid....

I don't think anyone will be able to demonstrate that it will be a success until it is available. Consider it a "Build it and they will come" type thing. It won't see less use than some of the other pointed subforums here.

Having had some experience with these types of experiments before, I'm more inclined to respond to demand, rather than make something that ends up serving little to no purpose.

Bring a large enough userbase to PoA who want to talk all things Avidyne, and I'll throw my support behind the idea, as will, I suspect, the rest of the MC. I won't vote for, "give us a place and then we'll bring it", simply because of the experiences I've had with similar concepts.

So far, 6 people want this - but 6 people can have a pretty meaningful conversation about Avidyne in a single thread. Not enough critical mass to my thinking yet.

Having had some experience with these types of experiments before, I'm more inclined to respond to demand, rather than make something that ends up serving little to no purpose.

Bring a large enough userbase to PoA who want to talk all things Avidyne, and I'll throw my support behind the idea, as will, I suspect, the rest of the MC. I won't vote for, "give us a place and then we'll bring it", simply because of the experiences I've had with similar concepts.

So far, 6 people want this - but 6 people can have a pretty meaningful conversation about Avidyne in a single thread. Not enough critical mass to my thinking yet.

Greebo,

Even though there's only six, I firmly believe, ones published, it will have a lot more interest. A lot of folks that have Avidynes don't even know of this effort. I haven't yet polled but one other forum and got a fair amount of interest.

While there's other options, having it connected to a "general" aviation group, and not type specific or location specific would draw more. And it's probably narrow enough to not justify it's own forum but there's the option of a Yahoo forum... I just hate their layout.

Why don't you try it for a month or two and see what happens? Let us promote it? Fair enough?

Maybe I'm not understanding the difficulty or cost involved in adding another subforum. I thought it would be just to add another heading.

BTW, since this is a non commercial site, what is the advantage of having a certain number?

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand why you can't just create a bunch of threads in the current forums and tell people to come here and talk Avidyne. There isn't really any advantage to a dedicated subforum. Why can't you just talk like we normally do? If you really need to single a particular topic out why not just put "[AVIDYNE]" or something in the title of the thread.

I'm just a regular member here, so my opinion doesn't count for anything...but I guess I just don't understand what it is about this particular topic that makes it so different from the rest of our aviation topics that it can't be discussed just like everything else is.

I guess I don't understand why you can't just create a bunch of threads in the current forums and tell people to come here and talk Avidyne. There isn't really any advantage to a dedicated subforum. Why can't you just talk like we normally do? If you really need to single a particular topic out why not just put "[AVIDYNE]" or something in the title of the thread.

I'm just a regular member here, so my opinion doesn't count for anything...but I guess I just don't understand what it is about this particular topic that makes it so different from the rest of our aviation topics that it can't be discussed just like everything else is.

Jason, as "...just a regular member..." your opinion counts every bit as much as almost anyone else's. Except Jesse, his counts twice.

I still think it makes some real sense to create a subforum- run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. If it fizzles and fades, you can kill it, but I think there's a sound chance we'll gain some good new participants from it.

Is it, like, a lot of trouble to set up?

I still think it makes some real sense to create a subforum- run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. If it fizzles and fades, you can kill it,
We still haven't killed some of the fantasy sports forums, and they have about zilch posts after a year!

I'd say go ahead and create a TAA subforum, but don't limit it to Avidyne. The question then becomes whether it's to discuss IFR aspects or all aspects?!

You mean like the Sports Section? :D :goofy:

but there's the option of a Yahoo forum... I just hate their layout.

Larry,

That's actually what I was going to suggest - I belong to a couple of aviation-related yahoo groups (type clubs for Swifts and L-5's to be exact) and to solve the problem of the klunky Yahoo interface, I just get all the messages via email. :yes: That way, I only have to go to the web sites for non-messaging features.

I think there could be room here for an "Avionics" subforum. We certainly see lots of Garmin 430 questions and answers, we have several members who have installed the Aspen system or will shortly, and there are quite a few folks here who rent G1000-equipped Cessnas and/or own/rent other G1000 birds. We even have a couple of Avidyne users such as yourself, and a couple people like me who love to hate Avidyne. ;)

If there is such a forum added, I volunteer to be the whipping-boy, er, MC FNG PIC. ;) Qualifications? I am a gadget freak. :yes:

The MC has discussed and voted on this issue. There were not enough votes to proceed with it. But I think I speak for the whole MC in saying we appreciate the suggestion even if we didn't implement it.

The MC has discussed and voted on this issue. There were not enough votes to proceed with it. But I think I speak for the whole MC in saying we appreciate the suggestion even if we didn't implement it.

Did you reject a purely Avidyne forum or the more general GPS/advanced avionics one? I'll bet there'd be significantly more interest in the latter. I also suspect that while the vast majority of the current PoA population has little interest in Avidyne, there would be a noticeable influx of new members joining specifically for the Avidyne forum and that goes at least double for a sophisticated avionics forum.

Larry,

That's actually what I was going to suggest - I belong to a couple of aviation-related yahoo groups (type clubs for Swifts and L-5's to be exact) and to solve the problem of the klunky Yahoo interface, I just get all the messages via email. :yes: That way, I only have to go to the web sites for non-messaging features.

I think there could be room here for an "Avionics" subforum. We certainly see lots of Garmin 430 questions and answers, we have several members who have installed the Aspen system or will shortly, and there are quite a few folks here who rent G1000-equipped Cessnas and/or own/rent other G1000 birds. We even have a couple of Avidyne users such as yourself, and a couple people like me who love to hate Avidyne. ;)

If there is such a forum added, I volunteer to be the whipping-boy, er, MC FNG PIC. ;) Qualifications? I am a gadget freak. :yes:

Kent,

How does one set up a Yahoo forum to show up as email....? That sounds like the ticket.

The request was just for an Avidyne forum.
In that case, I humbly ask the MC to reconsider a forum to assist those on glass panels in general. Individual system specific issues could be addressed within threads as needed. Then, as the use grows there might be some further consideration for sub-forums.

I think the number out there who could benefit from this is quite large. As a CFI flying two glass aircraft, I believe I'd benefit greatly.

some of us old farts haven't flown any glass...and likely would (eventually)
benefit from discussion of lessons learned, etc.

In that case, I humbly ask the MC to reconsider a forum to assist those on glass panels in general. Individual system specific issues could be addressed within threads as needed. Then, as the use grows there might be some further consideration for sub-forums.

I think the number out there who could benefit from this is quite large. As a CFI flying two glass aircraft, I believe I'd benefit greatly.

And I will once again point out that there is nothing stopping this discussion from taking place in the current forum structure. I still don't understand what benefits come from further segmentation of the forums...at least until the traffic warrants it. I would think that if there were numerous discussions taking place on this topic the benefits of a subforum would become self-evident.

And I will once again point out that there is nothing stopping this discussion from taking place in the current forum structure. I still don't understand what benefits come from further segmentation of the forums...at least until the traffic warrants it. I would think that if there were numerous discussions taking place on this topic the benefits of a subforum would become self-evident.
Probably part of it is even now I'm not seeing the split being used between Hangar Talk and Flight Following. I think a specific forum under FF might help narrow the look for such information.

I considered asking about something for flight instructors but that can be covered in FF and there are only so many CFIs on the board. I'm not sure how many glass pilots there are. That would make a good poll. I'll have to think on how to word it.

Kent,

How does one set up a Yahoo forum to show up as email....? That sounds like the ticket.

Well, ya gotta start the group first, and join it.

When you're a member of the group, you just click the "Edit Membership" link at the top of the page, and follow the directions there. You can get the messages sent individually or as a daily digest, and you can post messages via email as well.

Back