Avidyne TAS 9900BX ADBS Upgrade

carrollm

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal_Matt
Has anyone done this, or can tell me why this is necessary? Since the system is an active traffic system that doesn't rely on ground stations, why would it not continue to work when all aircraft have the Extended Squitter transponders or ADBS-out? I will be upgrading my Garmin GTX 330 to get ADBS out compliant, just not sure why the Avidyne TAS unit also needs to be upgraded.

Has anyone done this, or can tell me why this is necessary? Since the system is an active traffic system that doesn't rely on ground stations, why would it not continue to work when all aircraft have the Extended Squitter transponders or ADBS-out? I will be upgrading my Garmin GTX 330 to get ADBS out compliant, just not sure why the Avidyne TAS unit also needs to be upgraded.

It does not need to be upgrade. But it is an upgrade you should consider when and if it becomes available. The ADS-B traffic it would receive will be more accurate, particularly in azimuth and should also provide additional range as software is the only practical limit. Also, you can have more data about the target with ADS-B data. There are times and places for both.

In the Garmin system, the Avidyne TAS 6XX is fed into the Garmin GDL88 which does a similar combining of the data before it is fed to the display. Of course the Garmin can also provide weather to the display. Depending on your needs and existing equipment, adding a GDL88 might be an alternative way of achieving compliance, but you would get both traffic and weather. In that case, you would not upgrade the GTX330 to ES and upgrade the TAS6XX to ADS-B In. The uprades are slightly cheaper ($2000+$1200 verses $3995) but provide less function.

Thank you John, very helpful. I have the Garmin GDL69A which provides XM weather, so probably just stick with upgrading the Avidyne and GTX330.

Back