Avidyne/Garmin 430 traffic warnings

asgcpa

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CPA
So today I had a club insurance check in an Archer 3 that sports twin 430s and an Avidyne Glass panel system. Btw, love the Avidyne. It is really easy to use, even for a technologically challenged individual like me. Any way, several times during the xc flight, we kept getting "traffic" warnings and multiple blips would show up on the 430 traffic screen, but there were no planes in the vicinity. Anybody know what might have been going on?

Thanks

So today I had a club insurance check in an Archer 3 that sports twin 430s and an Avidyne Glass panel system. Btw, love the Avidyne. It is really easy to use, even for a technologically challenged individual like me. Any way, several times during the xc flight, we kept getting "traffic" warnings and multiple blips would show up on the 430 traffic screen, but there were no planes in the vicinity. Anybody know what might have been going on?

Thanks
Depending on the traffic system you might have been picking up your own transponder. If you have a Garmin 300 transponder you're probably getting TIS from a nearby TRACON and if you maneuver around a bit you can confuse the system into thinking there are two planes out ther when it's just you.

You may had the 430 traffic page on UNR (unrestricted) mode. In UNR mode the 430 will show traffic +/-9000ft. Next time set it NORM mode that gives you a traffic window of +/-2700ft.

José

Back