Aviatory vacation in Miami

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
I'm going to be in Miami for a week-long vacation, and I'm considering what kind of aviatory stuff I want to do there. When I went to Hawaii, I took a couple of hops with a local CFI, looked at the island weather, which was a neat edutainment experience.

This time, I'm thinking it would be interesting to log a few hours in a seaplane, for instance. However, I am having a difficult time finding a seaplane instructor. It's all tours, tours, tours. I imagined Miami teeming with CFI ASES, but something is not adding up.

Next, there's a Cirrus training center at Opa Locka, called "Platinum". It must be referring to their rental rates: $190 dry for SR-20.

They also have some gliders at Homestead, but that's far away to the south. I don't even want to go to Tamiami much, where they have a C-162. I resolved not to fly Skycatcher without a helmet anyway. However, someone at TMB has an Arrow for rent, so I'm thinking about taking it up with a CFI for some flying in busy airspace, if nothing else comes along.

So, that's about it for now. Does anyone have any good ideas? Preferably at OPF or X44.

If you venture north to the mouse house, I recommend Warbird Adventures over at Kissimee. Take a T-6 ride and most of their demo flight pilots are CFIs so you can get it logged as dual.

I'm going to be in Miami for a week-long vacation, and I'm considering what kind of aviatory stuff I want to do there. When I went to Hawaii, I took a couple of hops with a local CFI, looked at the island weather, which was a neat edutainment experience.

This time, I'm thinking it would be interesting to log a few hours in a seaplane, for instance. However, I am having a difficult time finding a seaplane instructor. It's all tours, tours, tours. I imagined Miami teeming with CFI ASES, but something is not adding up.

Next, there's a Cirrus training center at Opa Locka, called "Platinum". It must be referring to their rental rates: $190 dry for SR-20.

They also have some gliders at Homestead, but that's far away to the south. I don't even want to go to Tamiami much, where they have a C-162. I resolved not to fly Skycatcher without a helmet anyway. However, someone at TMB has an Arrow for rent, so I'm thinking about taking it up with a CFI for some flying in busy airspace, if nothing else comes along.

So, that's about it for now. Does anyone have any good ideas? Preferably at OPF or X44.

Hey. I am in Miami and happy to offer my services.

There is no seaplane training in Miami, you need to go up toward Orlando for that. Platinum is crazy-expensive. Even the instructors are $95/hour.

Homestead is a good bet and is not too terrible a drive. Talk to Steve at Miami Gliders. You can also skydive, tandem if you prefer, out of Homestead.

Arrow out of TMB? Go up to KHWO and check with Nick at NS Aviation. I think you will like it better.

If you want to hook up with me one day and help with the gas, I know of a few nice hops - Everglades City for breakfast, Marathon Key for lunch.

Drive up to KFXE and visit Banyan. Great pilot shop and the Jet Runway Cafe. Again, if you want we can shoot up there in the Arrow.

If you want a ride in the Luscombe, that is an option also.

I will PM you my contact info.

If you venture north to the mouse house, I recommend Warbird Adventures over at Kissimee. Take a T-6 ride and most of their demo flight pilots are CFIs so you can get it logged as dual.

Saw my CFII on Sat and he said he just flew a P-51 up there. His son bought the ride for him. He said he flew the T-6 before and recommends the T-6 over the P-51 in the bang for buck department. Said they only run the P-51 half throttle and you do not get much more out of it fun-wise than the T-6 and the T-6 ride is twice as long and a lot less money.

Time is approaching and I haven't even contacted any FBOs; only exchanged contacts with Mr. Alfadog with a view on seeing if I can fit into a Luscombe. However, the plan to try to fly from Tamiami to Merritt Island is still operational, and there following was seen in the Pilatus crash thread:

Most of our trips to Florida I fly down the West coast 5 miles off shore and have a smooth trip while listening to reports of CB and turbulence inland...

Direct route is inland because of the shape of Florida peninsula, but I was thinking about going low over the vater at least on the way back, so the passenger gets a view of the shoreline.

Back