Aviation Watches

I used to be in to really nice dive watches (Seikos, Heuer Leonides, etc...) but the problem is I tend to destroy watches plus I find heavy watches to be annoying to wear during the type of intense physical activity that I commonly engage in that destroys watches in the first place. So I went to the cheap $5 disposable plastic digital deals. Nowadays, I'm always near some sort of time piece (car clock, telephone, computer, wall clock, ect...) so I find that I really don't need to wear a watch.

Now.... here's the glitch....

Call me visionary, but in a few years Apple will announce the "iWatch", which will be a worn cell phone that replaces the iPhone and iPad, the holographic display for which will be projected from a small implant in the center of the forehead. Initially only popular with East Indian Hindis, the device will quickly catch on to the Western world and will revolutionize cell phone and tablet usage. I may actually go back to wearing a watch at that point.

Or not, as the iPlant will shortly follow. This will be a brain implant that will replace functionality of the iWatch, and won't require a projected display. You can have E6B functionality, UTC time displayed in the right brain, local time displayed in the left brain, and concurrent solitaire games in your near field vision. The disadvantage is that now you've given AT&T control of your brain, and you will lose the will to shop for a better data plan, plus the thought of letting your contract lapse through non payment will become unconscionable.

Or not, as the iPlant will shortly follow. This will be a brain implant that will replace functionality of the iWatch, and won't require a projected display. You can have E6B functionality, UTC time displayed in the right brain, local time displayed in the left brain, and concurrent solitaire games in your near field vision. The disadvantage is that now you've given AT&T control of your brain, and you will lose the will to shop for a better data plan, plus the thought of letting your contract lapse through non payment will become unconscionable.

No, it won't be bad, you can pay some kid to jailbreak your brain and then you can get Cydia and use any other brain network portal you want. When Android Cyborg version comes out, your brain will be direct connect to Google and Google store so all you have to do is think about something and it will be deducted from your bank account. However, there will be a Translator App for either so language for most of the world will no longer be a barrier to communications.

Last edited:
Call me visionary, but in a few years Apple will announce the "iWatch", which will be a worn cell phone that replaces the iPhone and iPad, the holographic display for which will be projected from a small implant in the center of the forehead. Initially only popular with East Indian Hindis, the device will quickly catch on to the Western world and will revolutionize cell phone and tablet usage. I may actually go back to wearing a watch at that point.

Sorry to revive a very old thread...but was reading old posts and saw this. It made me chuckle, now that Apple has officially announced the iWatch! Not sure about the iPlant yet, but the iWatch is a reality. ;-)

My buddy fred passed away a year ago. He wore a Hamilton wind up watch his mom gave him when he graduated from high school in 1950. He finally retired with 14000 hours, demo pilot for aero commander, corporate pilot, CFI, on and on. He claimed everything he flew had a good time keeper in it so the Hamilton was just fine.

Most of them are gimmicks, the tiny e6b, etc.

Just get one with a good chrono and a dive bezel, two things that I've found very handy.

Citizen makes a great quartz watch.

Marathon makes some cool SAR watches.

Omega is great for automatics

O&W also makes some less expensive but valjoux 7750 powered Swiss watches, just less bling factor.

My buddy fred passed away a year ago. He wore a Hamilton wind up watch his mom gave him when he graduated from high school in 1950. He finally retired with 14000 hours, demo pilot for aero commander, corporate pilot, CFI, on and on. He claimed everything he flew had a good time keeper in it so the Hamilton was just fine.

I like wind-ups as well. I usually wear one of these (left to right):
Seiko automatic; Eterna winder; Elgin A-II winder; Field and Stream electric; Hamilton winder; Victorinox V-7 "sub-racer." Mostly got them used on eBay/internet for very small amounts. They all keep great time. No need to spend much for a good watch.

dc8136c0442539f5b607070edce8a75d.jpg

Here's the Marathon CSAR watch, if I were going to replace my O&W this would be my top pick.

chronoAuto_02426_1.jpg

I have a G-Shock GW4000D-1A

Is it a little excessive? Sure. But it has a UTC clock, 24 hour local clock, shows the date & day of the week, and it syncs up with the atomic clock every night all features I like(plus it can withstand 15 Gs! :D). When am I ever gonna use a wizz wheel on a tiny watch face? never.

Sorry to revive a very old thread...but was reading old posts and saw this. It made me chuckle, now that Apple has officially announced the iWatch! Not sure about the iPlant yet, but the iWatch is a reality. ;-)

Hah! You read it here first!!!

Now that I've revived a zombie thread... Hahahaha!

This is what I am checking out right now. I have a couple of requirements specific to my needs right now. May be a non-issue to others: my needs change depending on life circumstances. For example... It was only recently that multiple alarms became of value.

1. Look cool(to me)
2. Decently large display
3. Date
4. Second time zone (Zulu)
5. Chrono
6. Timer that can do seconds
7. At least 3 alarms
8. Easy to see in the dark (button activated light okay)
9. Look cool (to me)

I'm still hunting for "the last watch I'll ever buy" but I haven't found it yet. I have many ranging from super cheap to very expensive. I'm not too proud to wear a $40 Timex when it meets my needs while the $6K Rolex sits in the safe.

59723536ca8b550685a37fa5edd19c9e.jpg

Does that stay lit up like that, or do I have to continuously hit a button?

Does that stay lit up like that, or do I have to continuously hit a button?

Gotta hit a button. I don't know of any that stay lit...although that would be awesome. Battery life might suck tho! :) I have a G-Shock that has auto light when tilted, but that's as close to "always lit" as I've seen. I put the backlight on because I was sitting in a dark room when I snapped it...

Gotta hit a button. I don't know of any that stay lit...although that would be awesome. Battery life might suck tho! :) I have a G-Shock that has auto light when tilted, but that's as close to "always lit" as I've seen. I put the backlight on because I was sitting in a dark room when I snapped it...

I'm still looking for a dive watch that I can light up at the start of the dive and turn off at the end. It's the only time I wear a watch unless I need something for dress, then I have a watch from the Metropolitain Museum of Art, cost $15, attracts more attention than a Rolex.:lol:

I'm still looking for a dive watch that I can light up at the start of the dive and turn off at the end. It's the only time I wear a watch unless I need something for dress, then I have a watch from the Metropolitain Museum of Art, cost $15, attracts more attention than a Rolex.:lol:

So my most consistently "lit up" watch, now that I think about it, is my Luminox Navy Seal. It uses tritium capsules for illumination, and isn't dependent upon a light source to charge. Ball has the same feature, but at a much higher cost (and a nicer watch).

I used to always get frustrated with my analog watches, because they all use some sort of glow-in-the dark paint for illumination of the hands/numbers (dots). The problem is...it doesn't glow for very long. I find that halfway through a movie in the theater, I want to check the time and can't see my stinking watch! I hate that! My answer to that (with an analog) was the Luminox...

It might be more than you are willing to spend since they run about 10-15 of your MMoA watches.

So my most consistently "lit up" watch, now that I think about it, is my Luminox Navy Seal. It uses tritium capsules for illumination, and isn't dependent upon a light source to charge. Ball has the same feature, but at a much higher cost (and a nicer watch).

I used to always get frustrated with my analog watches, because they all use some sort of glow-in-the dark paint for illumination of the hands/numbers (dots). The problem is...it doesn't glow for very long. I find that halfway through a movie in the theater, I want to check the time and can't see my stinking watch! I hate that! My answer to that (with an analog) was the Luminox...

It might be more than you are willing to spend since they run about 10-15 of your MMoA watches.

Yeah, no, I have a $50 limit on watches.:lol:

I have a 50 watch limit. hehehehe

I have 2 watches at any given time, a dress watch for functions where I need something, that's a total of 20 hours of wear on 4 or so occasions a year. Then there's my 20 year old $29 GShock dive watch that's on its 3rd battery, it's the strap for my regulators when I'm not diving.:lol: If I need to know what time it is local or Zulu, I have a phone.

Probably one of the most iconic aviator watches is the Citizen Skyhawk, its a classic, even the previous generation...atomic timekeeping is neat too. Ive seen pilots with ordinary watches and I've seen one with a rolex Sub, i guess they all tell time one way or another :lol:

THIS WATCH uses tritium and is the brightest watch I have seen.

21145_800.jpg

Probably one of the most iconic aviator watches is the Citizen Skyhawk, its a classic, even the previous generation...atomic timekeeping is neat too. Ive seen pilots with ordinary watches and I've seen one with a rolex Sub, i guess they all tell time one way or another :lol:

That watch is the closest to my specs and requirements that I can find except for the price tag.

- Watches, like almost every clock in my house, must set themselves these days. Setting clocks and watches is stupid in 2015. WWVB, GPS, cellular networks, whatever. There's a bejillion clock sources broadcasting all the time now. This one is the must-have deal-breaker for me on all dumb watches.

- The always lit/tritium thing. Yes. It's stupid to have to push a button to see the watch in the dark, too.

- Sweep hands preferred. But digital is ok.

- Must have one button access to UTC or a separate hand for it.

- Battery life must be excellent. Points for solar even if it just helps it not die fast. Apple watch needing a daily or two day recharge can go straight to hell. As can anything I need to wind up. It's frogging 2015.

- Prefer styling that doesn't look like an 80s watch with a plastic band but it's not a deal breaker.

- Wouldn't mind if it could take a beating and still be readable. Plastic scratches.

- Watches shouldn't be hundreds of dollars. I can pull out my smart phone if I want to look at something expensive and far more useful than a watch. (This is where the Skyhawk fails. But at least it has the feature-set.) It's a modern Ford Model T of useful devices that can show time.

- Goofy spin bezels with E6B functions are cute and I'll take it if it has one but really don't care. If it has one it'd better be functional and not loosely spin around and just be an annoying decoration after above physical abuse happens.

The current Casio looks 80s-ish with gouges in the plastic and and sets itself from WWVB nightly and has a button for illumination. So it's not perfect but it's close enough for $30. Can replace it 7-10 times for the price of the Skyhawk depending on sales pricing.

Theres probably other stuff but those are the biggies.

Now THIS is a real pilot's watch! I just saw this on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon from last night...

BREMONT WATCH Tested Beyond Endurance The Bremont MB1/MB2 watch has successfully endured 12-30G throughout the first second of ejection. These are the first watches to ever go through a live ejection seat testing programme.

Bremont Watch Company and Martin-Baker have collaborated to design and build the ultimate aviation watch. The alliance has produced a unique aviation watch that will embody all that is meant by ‘Made in Britain’.

As the pioneer of the ejection seat, Martin-Baker represents the pinnacle of British engineering. The partnership combined Martin-Baker’s knowledge of testing, materials and design with Bremont’s watch making skills. The aim was to challenge conventional mechanical watch design, by applying standards that truly define ‘a matter of life and death’.

An ejection seat may sit unused for 40 years, but the day it is needed it has to work. Martin-Baker’s testing facility is unique, and the Bremont MB watches have been through trials found nowhere else. An example is the ability to simulate 30 years of aircraft life through a vibration testing machine.

There are two models available - the MBI and the MBII. The MBI is only available to those individuals who have ejected using a Martin-Baker ejection seat and can be identified quickly by its red aluminium barrel. The movement is protected by an anti-magnetic Faraday cage and a specifically designed anti-shock case mount.

The second edition of the watch, Bremont MB2, will be available for sale alongside the full range of Bremont watches, but, as with all Bremont timepieces, the annual production will be very limited.

The movement is assembled at Bremont’s atelier in Switzerland, but final assembly of the watches will take place in the UK. The MB1 and MB2 will be Bremont’s first ‘Made in Britain’ wristwatch. - See more at: http://www.martin-baker.com/merchandise/bremont-watch#prettyPhoto

http://www.martin-baker.com/merchandise/bremont-watch

bremont-3.jpg

bremont-4.jpg

That watch is the closest to my specs and requirements that I can find except for the price tag.

- Watches, like almost every clock in my house, must set themselves these days. Setting clocks and watches is stupid in 2015. WWVB, GPS, cellular networks, whatever. There's a bejillion clock sources broadcasting all the time now. This one is the must-have deal-breaker for me on all dumb watches.

- The always lit/tritium thing. Yes. It's stupid to have to push a button to see the watch in the dark, too.

- Sweep hands preferred. But digital is ok.

- Must have one button access to UTC or a separate hand for it.

- Battery life must be excellent. Points for solar even if it just helps it not die fast. Apple watch needing a daily or two day recharge can go straight to hell. As can anything I need to wind up. It's frogging 2015.

- Prefer styling that doesn't look like an 80s watch with a plastic band but it's not a deal breaker.

- Wouldn't mind if it could take a beating and still be readable. Plastic scratches.

- Watches shouldn't be hundreds of dollars. I can pull out my smart phone if I want to look at something expensive and far more useful than a watch. (This is where the Skyhawk fails. But at least it has the feature-set.) It's a modern Ford Model T of useful devices that can show time.

- Goofy spin bezels with E6B functions are cute and I'll take it if it has one but really don't care. If it has one it'd better be functional and not loosely spin around and just be an annoying decoration after above physical abuse happens.

The current Casio looks 80s-ish with gouges in the plastic and and sets itself from WWVB nightly and has a button for illumination. So it's not perfect but it's close enough for $30. Can replace it 7-10 times for the price of the Skyhawk depending on sales pricing.

Theres probably other stuff but those are the biggies.

It sounds like my Casio G-Shock Gulfman meets all of your requirements...except for one. It looks like a big honkin' G-Shock. :) It includes the auto EL light too....so no button pushing to read in the dark.

If I could have the features of that watch, with the look and cleanness of my Suunto Core All Black...I would buy it in a heartbeat! (I'll also like them to add the ability to include seconds-setting on the countdown timer.)

I am a big fan of a rotating bezel. I use them ALL THE TIME. I use it for a variety of things. Everything from its original use of a countdown timer, to a manual time reminder (visual alarm), and even to keep track of my order number at the deli.

As far as the phone goes...I hear ya...but there is a very large part of my day where I don't have access to my phone. I can't have a smart watch either...so limited to self contained, non-connectivity featured, watches. That's why I need multiple timers right now, because I can't depend on calendar notices to remind of things during the day.

Back