Aviation Stereotypes

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
Here are some common ones that I have seen/heard. Just wondering what's up with these. What are your thoughts? Any merit to these?

PoA Note: Not saying that I believe these! Don't gimme flak!

• Russian Pilots= Crazy

• French (in general as well)= Suck

• CFI's= 18yr old kid with 250hrs

• Anytime one hears "Captain"= Rich 747 left seater making $250k/yr

• Cirrus Pilots= Spoiled Brats/Snotty pilots

• RV Pilots= Dangerous "wanna-be" ace's. "All Vans Pilots are dangerous" is also heard a lot.

• Glider Pilots= Hippies/weird (I kinda get this one but I like hippies in the sense of energy management)

• Helicopter Pilots= Crazy risk taking adrenaline junkies

• Cargo Pilots= "Not real pilots."

• Mooney= Overpriced

• Citation= waste of money (Ever seen a 747VIP BBJ? That's a waste.)

• FAA is evil (Can't say that I disagree...)

• Africa= Bermuda Triangle of aviation

• Indian Pilots= "second worst" next to Russians

• USMC Pilots= Cocky

• USAF Pilots= Cockier

• USN Pilots= Cockiest

• A&P= unprofessional "grease monkey" that robs owners blind

• Anything less/smaller than a small twin jet airliner= "Dangerous"

• Turboprop= Dangerous

• Student Pilot= Idiot

• Private Pilot= Idiot

• Commercial Pilot=Idiot

• CFI= Best damn pilot ever.

• ATP= CFI's stfu. Crazy salaries that are no less than $250,000. Layover's in Hawaii,Miami, Tokyo,etc. Flying 10 hours a month. Hot flight attendants on each arm and last time you got laid was 2002, 2002Z that is ;).

• ATC= Idiots/ Control freaks

• FAA= Evil
Feel free to add any others that I forgot.

No mention of a big watch in there anywhere?

Here are some common ones that I have seen/heard. Just wondering what's up with these. What are your thoughts? Any merit to these?

• Russian Pilots= Crazy

• RV Pilots= Dangerous "wanna-be" ace's. "All Vans Pilots are dangerous" is also heard a lot.

• Glider Pilots= Hippies/weird (I kinda get this one but I like hippies in the sense of energy management)

• Mooney= Overpriced

• USMC Pilots= Cocky

• USAF Pilots= Cockier

• USN Pilots= Cockiest

• Turboprop= Dangerous

• Student Pilot= Idiot

• Private Pilot= Idiot

• Commercial Pilot=Idiot

• ATP= CFI's stfu. Crazy salaries that are no less than $250,000. Layover's in Hawaii,Miami, Tokyo,etc. Flying 10 hours a month. Hot flight attendants on each arm and last time you got laid was 2002, 2002Z that is ;).

• FAA= Evil

You left out: USCG Pilots= Most capable, best looking, best dressers, hottest wives, most intelligent, and oh yes, most modest :D

You crack me up!!!:lol:

P.S. That's not a dig...

I actually thought they were regular sunglasses when I bought them and it wasn't until I got home that I saw the sticker. So if something hits me I guess they are shatter resistant. Who knows, they look like regular sunglasses IMHO. Also, I never spend too much on sunglasses in case they break or get lost somewhere. Oh and I don't wear a watch but have a pink $15 Casio I had to buy for XC training (stopwatch). Wear it only on flights, take it off right away, it looks dorky.

I actually thought they were regular sunglasses when I bought them and it wasn't until I got home that I saw the sticker. So if something hits me I guess they are shatter resistant. Who knows, they look like regular sunglasses IMHO. Also, I never spend too much on sunglasses in case they break or get lost somewhere. Oh and I don't wear a watch but have a pink $15 Casio I had to buy for XC training (stopwatch). Wear it only on flights, take it off right away, it looks dorky.

I have three pairs of those glasses that I use when I'm doing yardwork. Never thought to use them when flying. Though I have kept them on to run to Home Depot, rather then grabbing my "real" sunglasses.

It's my belief that most stereotypes came from somewhere.

Although I think cargo pilots as "not real pilots" isn't quite the stereotype. More like "pilots who fly through anything in airplanes twice as old as them and do visual approaches in OVC001 1/8 SM".

It's my belief that most stereotypes came from somewhere.

Although I think cargo pilots as "not real pilots" isn't quite the stereotype. More like "pilots who fly through anything in airplanes twice as old as them and do visual approaches in OVC001 1/8 SM".

~~~~~ with no autopilot

Regional pilots = frosted hair, iPod and a backpack. Also have that 'try way too hard to sound cool and salty on the radio' voice.

Regional pilots = frosted hair, iPod and a backpack. Also have that 'try way too hard to sound cool and salty on the radio' voice.

Don't forget the ubiquitous polo shirt and khakis with the crew dress socks and shoes fashion excellence on overnighters. Heh.

Whole deck of credit cards in various colors, but barely enough cash to cover peanut butter crackers and a soda from the vend-o-matic.

Whole deck of credit cards in various colors, but barely enough cash to cover peanut butter crackers and a soda from the vend-o-matic.

That was a pilot stereotype 20 years ago. Now it's pretty much everyone you meet, unless you're dedicated to living a debt-free lifestyle.

And generally, even folks who are otherwise debt-free will owe half a lifetime's worth of maximum effort work in their chosen field on student loans and houses made of gypsum board and 2x4s in the form of a mortgage and will rationalize that it's "an investment".

http://articles.businessinsider.com...75_1_consumer-debt-credit-cards-student-loans

Perhaps FAA should rate mental health on the risk one is willing to incur in personal debt. Ooh. There's a fun idea. (Aviation would be dead in one round of medicals.)

• Russian Pilots= Crazy

• Mooney= Overpriced

• USMC Pilots= Cocky

• USAF Pilots= Cockier

• USN Pilots= Cockiest

• Turboprop= Dangerous

• Student Pilot= Idiot

• Private Pilot= Idiot

• Commercial Pilot=Idiot

• FAA= Evil

PPL = EVERYONE in the room must be terribly interested in your every flying adventure. Especially the 30 minute hop for a hamburger at Podunk Community airstrip.

That was a pilot stereotype 20 years ago. Now it's pretty much everyone you meet, unless you're dedicated to living a debt-free lifestyle.
Or even if you are dedicated to living debt free. I use credit cards a lot... but they all get paid off at the end of each month, unless it's an interest-free deal. We don't buy stuff we can't pay cash for, but that doesn't mean we actually pay cash. I can't get more than about 0.5% from the bank, but I can get 1 to 5 percent from the credit cards.

Plus one of them gets us free hotel nights when we travel... that's the one I'm using for all the flying lessons and airplane rental. Again, paid off at the end of the month.

Or even if you are dedicated to living debt free. I use credit cards a lot... but they all get paid off at the end of each month, unless it's an interest-free deal. We don't buy stuff we can't pay cash for, but that doesn't mean we actually pay cash. I can't get more than about 0.5% from the bank, but I can get 1 to 5 percent from the credit cards.

Plus one of them gets us free hotel nights when we travel... that's the one I'm using for all the flying lessons and airplane rental. Again, paid off at the end of the month.

True dat.

Buying AvGas on my AMEX bought my last TV and a number of other things from Costco. ;)

Sadly I know there's no such thing as a free lunch so I'm just keeping the prices at TacAir's self-serve pumps a few cents higher for everyone.

There's no cash option at their automated pump so the difference is in the price AMEX charges vendors vs the price Visa/MC do, witch is actually significantly enough higher that some small businesses refuse to accept AMEX.

I guess I should be thanking the non-AMEX, non-perks folks who use the pump for my TV. Hahah.

PPL = EVERYONE in the room must be terribly interested in your every flying adventure. Especially the 30 minute hop for a hamburger at Podunk Community airstrip.

And everything that didn't go perfectly was a crisis.

A few years ago, I had someone go on about how their fuel drain stuck open while sumping the tanks, and went on and on about what a catstrophe it was until they got it fixed which took all of, oh, 30 seconds. The crowd was stunned.

"Last night, I landed in the middle of a thunderstorm with rain so thick I couldn't see the runway when I landed or taxiway once I got off the runway," was my (true) response, to provide some perspective.

The crowd fell silent, jaws open. They gained a bit of perspective, and there was some freight dog out there who did it in the middle of a hail storm at the same time, I'm betting.

I used to keep my plane at Gibbs, a place with a lot of student pilots. I will never forget a very hot day in August about three years ago, I was walking out to my plane.

Swaggering toward me, in big MacArthur style sunglasses, and a leather bomber jacket, was a "pilot" who had just returned from a training mission in a rented C-152, with his CFI (wearing a T shirt). The CFI was about ten feet behind this hero, whoever he was.

-John

And everything that didn't go perfectly was a crisis.

A few years ago, I had someone go on about how their fuel drain stuck open while sumping the tanks, and went on and on about what a catstrophe it was until they got it fixed which took all of, oh, 30 seconds. The crowd was stunned.

"Last night, I landed in the middle of a thunderstorm with rain so thick I couldn't see the runway when I landed or taxiway once I got off the runway," was my (true) response, to provide some perspective.

The crowd fell silent, jaws open. They gained a bit of perspective, and there was some freight dog out there who did it in the middle of a hail storm at the same time, I'm betting.

The excerption to that rule is ANY WWII pilots, still alive and with it, who are willing to tell their stories. I don't care how windy their stories, how long they take, or how dramatically they tell it. I can't get enough.

I used to keep my plane at Gibbs, a place with a lot of student pilots. I will never forget a very hot day in August about three years ago, I was walking out to my plane.

Swaggering toward me, in big MacArthur style sunglasses, and a leather bomber jacket, was a "pilot" who had just returned from a training mission in a rented C-152, with his CFI (wearing a T shirt). The CFI was about ten feet behind this hero, whoever he was.

-John

I love it!!!! (but I wear a tee shirt in 35* weather, then its generally a hoodie so it wasn't me...)

The excerption to that rule is ANY WWII pilots, still alive and with it, who are willing to tell their stories. I don't care how windy their stories, how long they take, or how dramatically they tell it. I can't get enough.

Absolutely. They're not the private pilot who was paniced over a leaky fuel drain.

Q: At a party of over a hundred how can you tell who the pilot is?

A: He tells you.

-John

I was preflighting (not a rental) one day in Austin, it was a hot day and I was dressed very "informally" - an old pair of bermuda shorts, raggedy T-shirt, old junky tennis shoes. Anyway, I guess I looked a little out-of-place because the local security cop pulled up and asked me what I was doing on the ramp...:D

Back