Aviation-related retirement gift ideas?

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
A friend of mine is a corporate pilot and retiring. Any gift ideas that are aviation related?

If you can find someone with a plasma cutter, take the airport diagram of his home field and make a steel cutout of the runways and taxiways. I could easily see that hanging on any pilot's wall. It'd be something only a few people could recognize so it'd be a great conversation piece for years.

Last edited:
Bronze some epaulettes like they do baby shoes and do up a plaque commemorating his career

Something relating to whatever he or she is planning for recreation during retirement?

Sorry, the only appropriate retirement gift is and has been a gold pocket watch. You could probably find one with an airplane drawn on it, or have an airplane engraved into the solid gold case.

ironically, in his retirement, he's going to continue to fly the Challenger as a contract pilot ... as he says "and probably fly more that I am now."

I've bought lots of aviation related neck ties for friends that have retired and family, my dad must have a dozen ranging from instruments, hot air balloons, Wright Flier, airliners, fighters, bombers, biz jets. A couple good online stores are 2decker.com and tieguys.com

Last edited:
Sorry, the only appropriate retirement gift is and has been a gold pocket watch. You could probably find one with an airplane drawn on it, or have an airplane engraved into the solid gold case.

Yes, i was going to suggest it too. I remember my uncle got one when he retired. But you can google to check out some websites. here's a few that i found:

http://www.findgift.com/occasions/retirement/special-themes/aviation/g28v3b1z2325x2376/

http://www.tailwinds.com/

http://www.pilotmall.com/category/gifts-toys-artwork

If you can find someone with a plasma cutter, take the airport diagram of his home field and make a steel cutout of the runways and taxiways. I could easily see that hanging on any pilot's wall. It'd be something only a few people could recognize so it'd be a great conversation piece for years.

Great ideas in this thread but I like this one the most (just my personal opinion). I will be looking into it for my buddy's birthday. I know someone with a 3D printer so I can test the layout first on a smaller scale. :)

Something relating to whatever he or she is planning for recreation during retirement?
I agree with this.
When I sold my business (cat-only veterinary hospital), the last thing I wanted was anything related to cats. I still love cats (and dogs and other animals too), but I retired because I felt it was time to take on other interests and projects.

Great ideas in this thread but I like this one the most (just my personal opinion). I will be looking into it for my buddy's birthday. I know someone with a 3D printer so I can test the layout first on a smaller scale. :)

Hey thanks! Let me know how it turns out, I might have to look into getting my own 3D printer if it goes well!

ironically, in his retirement, he's going to continue to fly the Challenger as a contract pilot ... as he says "and probably fly more that I am now."
In this case, I think a model of the airplane, as flown, would be appropiate. Get a plaque engraved with years flown. Add captain's bars to the whole thing. Write his name under the window.

How good a friend? Buy them a Cirrus or a Bo!

That's not "retirement". :rofl:

geez, guys! This is "a friend!" not "my employee!" :)

Yeah, Mari ... but Gary is busier than any 2 people I know ... even when he's relaxing, he's doing something like zip lining, climbing a 14er (or 2 ... one just for kicks "on the way home"), etc.

Yeah, Mari ... but Gary is busier than any 2 people I know ... even when he's relaxing, he's doing something like zip lining, climbing a 14er (or 2 ... one just for kicks "on the way home"), etc.
Yeah, but zip-lining, climbing 14ers, etc. is retirement. Going back to the same kind of work isn't. :)

Try eBay to find a turbine blade from whatever it was he was flying. Have it framed in a shadow box.

Back