Aviation Museums suggestions in VA/NJ area?

Raftthis101

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Raftthis101
I'm in the NJ area this weekend and looking for my aviation fix. Thought some of you might have suggestions for an aviation museum in VA/NJ area (Im West Coast based, and the Natl Air and Space is closed for renovation, otherwise I would make the Trip to DC)...
TIA!

Yeah, only the DC location is closed. The one in Virginia is open.

Ok, good to know. Thanks!! I'll go check that one out!

yeah, I was at the DC location a couple years ago....first time back in a few decades. It was something awesome the first time I went through it...I'd not really been to any other aviation museums before that one.
This time around it seemed more like a small traveling display. cool stuff in there but not really that much of it. Best thing for me this time around was the Wright Flyer.

I'd love a chance to go to the Udvar Hazy. Maybe some day.

Sorry, don't know of any others to suggest up in that area.... Couple things down in the Hampton and VA Beach area but that's a bit of a trek from NJ

Yeah, quite a distance between Virginia and Jersey.

The second best museum in Virginia (first being Udvar Hazy) is the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.

If you like WWII stuff in particular (and seeing stuff that still flies), it’s probably the best on the east coast.

Cape May NJ- Naval Air Station Wildwood aviation Museum at WWD. Good diner on-site and Cape May is an awesome Victorian styled town to check out if you have time.

Millville Army Air museum, Millville NJ

Udvar Hazy at Dulles. JYO and HEF are good destination airports if you want to avoid IAD.

Shannon has a small aviation museum. EZF.

Fort Eustis Army Transportation Museum is pretty cool with lots of helicopters.

VA air and space science museum, Hampton VA

VA beach Airport Military Aviation Museum and fighter factory.

In between NJ and VA is Naval Air Museum at Pax river. Short trip from 2w6.

Delaware Aviation Museum in Georgetown DE

Air Mobility Command Museum at Dover AFB.

That list should keep you pretty busy.

"in the VA/NJ area"......1st time I've heard that before
There used to be a restaurant in Richmond VA named the "Texas Wisconsin Border Cafe". We were eating Tex mex, brats and beer one evening with friends when in a moment of drunken clarity I exclaimed "TX and Wisconsin don't share a border!" Probably one of the biggest derp moments of my early twenties.

Udvar Hazy is the one to hit. The downtown campus is more of an educational display. Out at Dulles is where they have the planes and spacecraft.

Udvar Hazy is the one to hit. The downtown campus is more of an educational display. Out at Dulles is where they have the planes and spacecraft.
Including a space shuttle! That's a must-see of you've not seen one before.

Including a space shuttle! That's a must-see of you've not seen one before.
1f642.svg

Discovery. Originally, the Smithsonian had Enterprise which was for years stuffed in a hangar off runway 30 at IAD. It had all sorts of other artifacts crammed in around it. When Udvar-Hazy opened in late 2003 it moved there. The Smithsonian always wanted one of the three (surviving) space flown one, so they got Discovery and Enterprise was moved to the Intrepid in NY. Atlantis went to Kenedy. and Endeavor went (with some controversy) to the California Science Center. I was hanging out at IAD when the swapped Discovery for Enterprise (got to see them nose-to-nose on the Hazy ramp).

I've seen one shuttle launch and one shuttle landing over the life of them. Discovery both times. Margy also was presented on her retirement a small flag that was flown on the Discovery mission that I witnessed the landing at Edwards.

But getting back on topic, there's also the Marine Corps Museum at Quantico which has some aviation components to it.

There's also the Hagerstown (Maryland) Air Museum. And the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum at the Reading (Pennsylvania) airport.

There’s also a museum in College Park Maryland (CGS) but it’s in the FRZ and you need special clearance. Not sure how hard it is to get a pin these days. 2600 foot runway

Oldest continuously running airport iirc their claim to fame. Started by Wright brothers in 1909. DC metro stop a block or two away so easy access to DC area.

Back