Aviation Management Education

ERAU_Professor

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dr. J.
Dear Aviation Professionals,

Talent Management is a challenge for commercial and military aviation organizations. One of the ways Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is trying to help is by collecting the opinions of managers in the aviation industry to determine current education demographics and what managers want to hire. Based on that information, we can better design courses, seminars, and professional education for the industry. If you have 2-3 minutes available and would like to help, please click the link below to answer 10-12 multiple choice questions about your job and education. Your help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ERAU_AMES_2014

The results of the Aviation Management Education Survey (AMES) will be published in a peer-reviewed journal and we will provide the link after publication. The completion date for the survey is 1 April 2014. Thanks so much for your help! Contact me if you have any questions, my email and phone number are in the consent page of the survey.

Dr. Jason Newcomer
Assistant Professor, Aeronautics
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

In the degree section you have "Aviation / Aerospace (studies / engineering)" in the same category. "Aviation studies" and aero E are not even close to being the same when it comes to technical aptitude and workload required to earn the degree. The data could easily be manipulated to make a flying degree look more valuable.

Turbofan,

Understood, the objective was to combine them due to the aviation focus vs. an engineering or management degree without an aviation focus. We need to know if managers even care about an aviation degree or if they just want their employees to have business admin degrees, or any engineering degree. I hope that clarifies why we combined them.

Our intent was not to say that they were equal in curriculum, effort, or technical acumen. If we see that it is a popular selection, your point will certainly be identified as a "limitation" in the data and an area of "recommended future study." This is a broad starting point. We need to see where we can narrow down from here.

Thanks for your expert feedback.

Dr. Newcomer

Last edited:
Folks,

We have received 96 responses so far. We still need a few more, please consider helping out if you can spare the 2-3 minutes. Thanks much.

Dr. Newcomer

We are a small airport with 3 full time and one part time employees. Airports like us are necessary to support general aviation but are probably too small to be of interest for you survey.

Graueradler,

I am glad you showed interest and I am happy to inform you that there is a "How many employees work at your organization?" question in the survey for just that reason. We can compare larger and smaller organizations to see if the education level and requirements are different. We absolutely could use input from your small-but-necessary airport.

Thanks for reaching out.

Dr. Newcomer

PS: As a note, Armstrong International Airport (MSY) in New Orleans used to be a small U.S. Army WWII field and now look at it. Your airport may grow much like MSY did. Fifty years from now the data you provide might be useful to comparing statistics concerning airport education and growth :yesnod:.

I appreciate everyone's input tot he study. We have collected a total of 120 responses. Of the responses, 85 were managers and able to complete the survey and 35 selected "no" and were disqualified. Ideally, we would like to have a minimum of 100 responses to analyze the data so if you are a manager within the aviation industry, we would love to have your input. The survey is open until April 1st, 2014.

AMES: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ERAU_AMES_2014

Dr. Newcomer

Thanks to everyone who helped with the study. We close the survey in two more days and we have received a total of 161 responses to collect data with. A great number of those responses came in after posting here so I appreciate your help.

As promised, I will post the completed study in this forum once it is published.

Dr. J.

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this study. We have completed and published the study at the link below. A "thank you" is noted in the acknowledgements section. The link takes you to the abstract page. You can click the "download" button in the upper right to view the full study. Have a wonderful weekend!

http://commons.erau.edu/ijaaa/vol1/iss2/4/

Dr. J.

Back