Aviation Insurance Brokers

Where to you get your aviation insurance and what kind.

• AOPA - Owners

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • AOPA- Renters

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • AIG-Owners

• AIG-Renters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AVEMCO-Owners

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • AVEMCO-Renters

• Other Local / National Broker -Owners

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Other Local/ National Broker - Renters

• I'm an Owner and don't carry Insurance

• I'm a Renter and don't carry Insurance

• I own and I'm not insured

• I rent and I'm not insured

• Total voters

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Along the lines of the renters thread, Where do you purchase your insurance (Owners or Renters)through and why? On the other hand tell us why you don't have any.

I use Norris Hibbler, Aircraft & Marine Assurance company. He's a friend to the Grumman community and AYA (Grumman type club) supporter. He's an agent and shops around for the best deal/coverage and of course he covers other types of aircraft besides Grummans. He can be reached at 800-466-4944 or email:

aircraftandmarine@integraonline.com

My current policy for the Tiger is with Global Aerospace, but I used to have AIG insurance.

AdamZ said:
Along the lines of the renters thread, Where do you purchase your insurance (Owners or Renters)through and why? On the other hand tell us why you don't have any.

I'm typically flying under other peoples insurance, and there isn't any insurance that covers ME, except a personal/professional liability umbrella policy, and it's expensive for me.

I purchase me owner insurance through PIM Aviation Insurance out of Wichita, Ks. Sharon Moriarity is my account manager at 1-800-826-4442. She has always seemed to find me the best rate with Golbal Aerospace.

Your survey has 3 problems:

#1) There are only 4 or 5 insurance companies in the entire country that write aviation insurance policies.

#2) Two of those companies are called AIG. AIG and USAIG. As much as I tried to nail it down from my broker, they are not related and I guess, never were.

#3) When you buy from an insurance broker you get a policy from one of those companies. So you can mix and match brokers and insurance companies. The AOPA Insurance Agency is a broker - actually AON. Some companies, I think, like AVEMCO, sell their own policies direct as their own brokers.

We've used Avemco for several years for our airplanes. It's nice not to have the middle man. They were easy to deal with after my accident and prompt with the check. They didn't raise our rates afterwards, either.

My broker is Travers, located in St. Louis, MO. The policy is written from Phoenix Aviation Managers. I've recommended them to several 182 owners - I think for 172s/182s they have some of the best rates available.

Jeff

Ken Ibold said:
Actually, 4. Some people own AND rent, yet the poll does not support multiple answers.
I added two more options. Limitations of the software.....

The majors are AIG, USAIG, Global and Phoenix. Avemco underwrites direct; the others use brokers. U.S. Specialties and a few other have niches.

Each of these insurers have preferences and places they are best. Each has shortcomings. USAIG gets difficult to use with under 500 multi (if your'e insuring a multi), planes over 25 years old become difficult, especially pressurized twins. Once one is over 70, they get difficult unless your'e a long time customer. They will offer 1MM and 2MM smooth coverage to some folks. Policies are excellent; I'm covered in other plane I don't own. Very few exceptions. Excellent settlement record.

AIG; is on a par with USAIG with some policy differences. They are a little easier for me to get on board with on my pressurized twin. 100 hours in type and annual training may get me aboard for 1MM smooth.

Global turned me down last year because I put occasional landing on grass strips on my A-36. They were also higher than the two above firms for substantially similar coverage.

Phoenix has always quoted me higher and I haven't reviewed their policy in detail.

U.S. Specialties has a policy that doesn't cover as much as the top two; easier to get coverage. I was covered with 1MM smooth on the P-baron with an initial school and 10 hours of dual.

Avemco has never been even close for my coverage. 40 to 50% higher with worse coverage. They may be great for some.

I've had different brokers go to the same insurer (perhaps a different underwriter) and get quotes the first broker couldn't. I does come down to relationships. It's not just Falcon--it's who at Falcon. They have top brokers and some that aren't near the top.

Get referrals for someone with your qualifications and type plane. A lot of brokers and insurers have niches. Find the best guy and firm for your plane and training.

Best,

Dave

I recognized the errors in my poll, especially the last two questions. I don't know what happened. I think I tried to edit and it botched the wording of the questions. Now I can't figure out how to edit the poll questions. The last two should have been :I own and am not insured and I rent and I'm not insured. The general sprit of the poll is; where do you go to get your insurance? Some good answers so far.

AdamZ said:
I own and am not insured and I rent and I'm not insured.
Done, Adam. I aoplogize to the voter of the one vote in the old "I own and rent and am insured"

The responders to this poll seem to be primarly owners. It has been my experience as a renter that the premiums are pretty much the same for the same coverage limits. When I last checked the coverage limits on a renters policy were exactly the same and the premium only differed by one Dollar. Has this been others experience as well?

Bill Tassio/Tassio Insurance. Good group, very aggressive, knows the market and aircraft quite well. He's a pilot to boot.

Dave Siciliano said:
Avemco has never been even close for my coverage. 40 to 50% higher with worse coverage. They may be great for some.

Best,

Dave

Keep checking with them though. They were the same with me on my Travel Air for 2 years, but after that(2 years and 400 hrs) they had the best coverage at the best price.

Dave Siciliano said:
I've had different brokers go to the same insurer (perhaps a different underwriter) and get quotes the first broker couldn't. I does come down to relationships. It's not just Falcon--it's who at Falcon. They have top brokers and some that aren't near the top.

Get referrals for someone with your qualifications and type plane. A lot of brokers and insurers have niches. Find the best guy and firm for your plane and training.

Best,

Dave

Dave's post is right on par with what I've experienced (except the Avemco part). I use Global through Falcon Insurance for the Extra and the Citabria because the quote was competitive and because they'll insure for contests. We were with USAIG for years with the Bonanzas and Barons when we had a local broker who had good relationships with USAIG. They were exceptional when the Baron was destroyed. But when our local broker retired our quotes went through the roof. They didn't want the Extra either, and that ticked me off a bit. So we shopped around and settled on Avemco for the A36. We haven't needed them yet so I don't know yet how good they are.

Back