Aviation history

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
I also came across this entry:

"February 4, 1954: A.T. Lennox-Boyd, British Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation, said, in a written Parliamentary reply, that development of the FIDO system, for dispersing fog over a runway by heat, had reached a stage where there were no major difficulties in construction. But experience with the only existing full-scale high-pressure FIDO system in the U.S. had cast considerable doubt on its efficacy as an acceptable aid to civil aviation."

In other words, build it and it still will come.

A search on google, wikipedia, and dogpile yielded no results on FIDO.

Last edited:
Richard said:
I also came across this entry:

"February 4, 1954: A.T. Lennox-Boyd, British Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation, said, in a written Parliamentary reply, that development of the FIDO system, for dispersing fog over a runway by heat, had reached a stage where there were no major difficulties in construction. But experience with the only existing full-scale high-pressure FIDO system in the U.S. had cast considerable doubt on its efficacy as an acceptable aid to civil aviation."
On my first couple of readings I thought it said dispensing fog. :eek: I wondered if that was an early attempt at stealth airports. Gotta keep my glasses clean.

Back