Aviation Headsets

Marcsamo

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc Sabate
Hello everyone,

I actually own Faro headsets which are okay, but I'm starting flying more often now and I would like to change them for somethig better and with active noise reduction (or however it is called) so I don't get headache every time I spent 2 hours or more in the plane beacuse of the environment noise and the loud noise of the intercom I have to use to compensate that. Any recomendation? I only know Bose headsets which are a bit expensive for me right now.

Thank you!

We really need a sticky post/thread on headsets...

My vote goes for Clarity Aloft and Bose, I have one of each and love them both.

BTW, Faro also makes ANR headsets and they work fairly well --especially if you don't wear glasses

Working on upgrade(s) myself in this same dept... Lightspeed ZULU gently used on ebay can be had for around $450-$500. I don't think a better value can be find in a general aviation headset. If you just can't handle used then look at Lightspeed Sierra's. Very similar to the Zulu with a slightly less robust build quality (probably insignificant).

Another option that I'm working on is combining a Bose QC15 headset (used on ebay for ~$125) with a Uflymike (new for $225). This combo gets rave reviews. I'm buying these for my pax which are often my kids (ages 4, 7, 10). They're ultra light weight / comfortable and will cost about $350 / total package. I've heard of people using them as a pilot's primary headset too. I will try mine out for that but will say I am absolutely IN LOVE with my ZULU for crystal clear radio communications.

I've got two sets of passive FARO's and they're ok if you can handle the weight and the clamp. You are going to really be thrilled with a nice ANR headset!

I have a pair from http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com. Just simple plain color version but if you are adventurous do for something custom.

ANR is good on them for the price and probably will order a second set for passengers later this year

I bought Bose A20 when I started my training. Best move I made with regard to biting the expense bullet. I did the 12 months, same as cash and it was much less painful. Super quiet.. super comfort and super clear. I tried several different headsets right out of the gate because the headsets in the plane were junk and crushed my skull.

Now if only Stratus would do same as cash...

I have a pair from http://www.thesquawkshoppe.com. Just simple plain color version but if you are adventurous do for something custom.
After research, I plan on getting 2 pair of the SquawkShoppe ANR's... mine in grey and my wife's in purple. I have a large head (not a swelled head) and I know before spending the money that some of the high-priced models just won't work for me.

A good headset is a long term investment in your flying. I have a Lightspeed Zulu2 and Bose A20 that I switch back and forth. Both are top notch. Audio quality goes to Zulu2s by a mile. Bose might be slightly more robust, but I try not to abuse either.

I have thousands of hours on my Zulus, cant say enough good stuff about them and lightspeed.

Last edited:
Back