Aviation Business Ideas

Tex_Mike

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tex_MIKE
We all know there is no money in aviation (somehow lots of my money goes somewhere, go figure) but somehow I keep thinking about starting something up. What would you say would be a good aviation related business to get into? Jet cleaning, leasebacks (Never mind, I know I know), broker, other?

obviously you have never seen me with my shirt off.

Develop an STC for Cessna cowlings that mimics the Beech or Piper design. You will be rich.

Catering...

Actually I don't know what the profit margin is but the markup is huge over what you could get at a restaurant, or especially the store.

Margins on any restaurant business is abysmal - including catering
Do you have any idea what caterers charge for meals that go on business jets?

For example, the same breakfast is easily double what they charge at the same restaurant and they don't need to pay the waitstaff.

Do you have any idea what caterers charge for meals that go on business jets?

For example, the same breakfast is easily double what they charge at the same restaurant and they don't need to pay the waitstaff.

Here at least, and I would guess that at most small fields, they have to pay staff to deliver it to the airport.

Create a brand new single engine piston for under 50k with all the likings of a cirrus and others.. And still be able to make money.. That would be cool and can you get on it quick please?

We all know there is no money in aviation (somehow lots of my money goes somewhere, go figure) but somehow I keep thinking about starting something up. What would you say would be a good aviation related business to get into? Jet cleaning, leasebacks (Never mind, I know I know), broker, other?

Just because I have been dealing with it lately. Aircraft washing. Cheap startup cost and limited competition in many areas. Figure out how to do a good wash with two people in about 30-40 min. and you're good to go.

I'm guessing the ratio of failed wash/detail businesses is similar to that of restaurants.

Just because I have been dealing with it lately. Aircraft washing. Cheap startup cost and limited competition in many areas. Figure out how to do a good wash with two people in about 30-40 min. and you're good to go.

I'm guessing the ratio of failed wash/detail businesses is similar to that of restaurants.

Ha, ha. I guess the upside is if it doesn't work out you're left with a good pressure washer vs. a leased building full of equipment.

I don't understand why they're struggling at $110 for a piston single it's not like a $6 car wash.

I can wash my Arrow by hand (no pressure washer) in about an hour with a helper. If someone could do that for me for around $100 I would pay for it. If my helper looked like the ones in the video it would take a lot longer to get the plane washed but I digress. The real challenge is cleaning the belly of the airplane. For me that is about 4 hours on a creeper. Trying some thing new this year so time will tell.

I can wash my Arrow by hand (no pressure washer) in about an hour with a helper. If someone could do that for me for around $100 I would pay for it. If my helper looked like the ones in the video it would take a lot longer to get the plane washed but I digress. The real challenge is cleaning the belly of the airplane. For me that is about 4 hours on a creeper. Trying some thing new this year so time will tell.

I pay $110, so you're right on the mark. With the right equipment it should take them under an hour.

Perhaps a soft car wash brush with a handle in a bucket of mineral spirits would make quick work of the belly.:dunno:

Here at least, and I would guess that at most small fields, they have to pay staff to deliver it to the airport.
I wasn't really talking about small fields. You would need to be located where there is demand.

Develop an STC for Cessna cowlings that mimics the Beech or Piper design. You will be rich.
Wayne, are you referring to the half panels that you can lift up and have easy access to the engine compartment?

The 170s had it.....not sure why Cessna dropped the concept.

I pay $110, so you're right on the mark. With the right equipment it should take them under an hour.

Perhaps a soft car wash brush with a handle in a bucket of mineral spirits would make quick work of the belly.:dunno:

I bought some stuff from Aeroshell and will try it out here in a few weeks. I have used straight kerosene and it cuts through all the residue leaving a white powder that shines up just like wax.

I bought some stuff from Aeroshell and will try it out here in a few weeks. I have used straight kerosene and it cuts through all the residue leaving a white powder that shines up just like wax.

Pumice free gojo

Yep. It would change the lives of Cessna owners.

Wayne, are you referring to the half panels that you can lift up and have easy access to the engine compartment?

The 170s had it.....not sure why Cessna dropped the concept.

Back