average xc

I was talking about the shock collar. He won't sit still long enough to get a full charge on it. And he won't wear the solar cells on his head like we asked him to. ;)

He will when I push the button from my Bark-o-lounger... I'll hold that button down to.:popcorn:

Yeah, but did you do four years in evil medical school?

Four??? I was born into it, grew up in it. I am second generation Evil Genius...:rofl: My dad is Dr Evil Genius M.D. with a specialty in brain cleansing.

A big part of why I got my PPL was to do XC flying.

I have always enjoyed driving (not traffic) and several times a year a do 13-24 hour drives usually non-stop or close to it. Although I'm getting so I won't do much more than 13 hours without another driver.

I don't have a lot of experience yet (about 150 hours), but so far it seems like three hours (five usable in my plane) is a nice distance. Gives me a chance to land get a snack, refuel and stretch legs. But I have no problem doing two or even three legs like that in a day.

-Dan

A big part of why I got my PPL was to do XC flying.

I have always enjoyed driving (not traffic) and several times a year a do 13-24 hour drives usually non-stop or close to it. Although I'm getting so I won't do much more than 13 hours without another driver.

I'll drive that much but after dark that changes. Mandatory driver swaps. Too many mistakes from fatigue can bite hard.

Flying recreationally, I try to keep it to no more than 8 hours in the air in a day. Ground time will eat up the rest, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Dehydration will sneak up on you fast at altitude.

I am surprised to hear so many people think flying is more tiresome than driving. I find it to be the complete opposite. Flying is so much more relaxing. Almost too relaxing. In a car you have to "on the wheel" every single second of the trip. In the plane you look out the window, scan your gauges every now and then, change frequencies as atc requires every so often, and switch the fuel selector every half hour. I have only done 4 hour trips in the plane max, but when I get to the destination it's like I just woke up from a nap.

Does altitude really affect hydration levels? Why? I am usually at ~5,000 or below

The air is much dryer, and most pilots don't want to make a pee stop and stop drinking fluids. Not a good plan. Drink lots of water. It is amazing how dehydrated you will get, which makes you tired.

We took a short hop a few weeks ago and afterward everyone came home and took a nap. Probably 5500 Max DA.

That's a good long cross country for a 50 hour pilot, but it's doable. I would certainly plan on breaking it up into 3 shorter legs, especially as you are VFR and checking the weather is much easier on the ground. ;) I don't usually plan over 3 hour legs, 3.5 is pretty much my max, I have flown 4+ hours a few times coming home from Vegas, but it's just not comfortable. ;) Plan it out, have another pilot or CFI look over your plan, just to make sure you aren't missing anything, watch the weather and ENJOY! :D

Does altitude really affect hydration levels? Why? I am usually at ~5,000 or below

Pressure differential and drier air. Below 5000' not huge issue but incipient. I bring plenty to drink and refill the containers, I also bring plenty of MetRx bars and such, high protein stuff and a stash of chocolate, some chips or pretzels (I crack the bags open befor T/O)my plane looks like a road trip car because that's what it replaces for me. When I take a road trip, I take all my supplies.

Back