AVEMCO has lost their minds

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
I've been a long time customer of Avemco (started with renters insurance and now owned) and have always had positive experiences with them, but this latest round of quotes has me scratchin' my head.

Here's the story - looking to step up to/buy a 1942 North American SNJ-5 (AT-6D for you non-Navy types). I'm over 500 TT and just under 100 Tailwheel with only 2 hrs in type.

Avemco says, "sure, we'll cover you (for $8k per year)" and get this....they don't require ANY dual instruction in the aircraft before solo.....are they NUTS??? :yikes: When I bought my 170, they wanted 5 hrs of dual and a CFI signoff and a year later they'll just let me go solo a 600hp airplane???

So, I go to a warbird insurance broker and he comes back with 2 quote that are much more reasonable - both around $3k per year and they want an approved CFI to provide dual and signoff when I'm ready to solo it. That seems sooooo much more reasonable to me on both counts.

I'll still recommend people give them a look when shopping insurance, but I think Avemco really has gone off the deep end on this one!

Avemco was almost triple when I got quoted on my Comanche, and still almost double after I already flew it for two years. I don't even bother calling them anymore.

Avemco was almost triple when I got quoted on my Comanche, and still almost double after I already flew it for two years. I don't even bother calling them anymore.

X-2..

I have a huge collection of their caps, they owe me for years of free advertising!

Back