Avare-New free Android VFR GPS app

Airport diagram download option

Yes, that was the original design. It was briefly dropped in favor of combining diags with plates, but by popular demand the option is back in 3.5.2. In fact, I just now separately installed CA plates and the complete diags on my new Nexus 7. After using Avare on my antique Droid X, the N7 is quite a kick! So much faster, and the bigger screen now makes it better by far than the old handheld and the GNS430. Zubair is The Man! :)

Excellent but not obvious with the Airport Diagram option as the first "airport" on the list. A different menu option on the main menu would be even better/easier for new users to understand.

Thanks again to Zubair for such a great app! :thumbsup:

Rod

I've been using this app a bit now, mainly for pre flight planning, and one thing I feel it is severely lacking is a farther zoom out function. Right now, if I want to move around on the map, I can't just zoom out then zoom in to the spot, I have to scroll over several states. Just seems like a nice easy thing to make the app better. Otherwise, thanks for creating a free app like this, and I'll be looking around at it a bit more in the future.

Just started flying and working on my PPL. Just started working on cross country trips. Is there currently a way to include weather in the flight plan (i.e. it gives you the adjusted heading based on wind speed/direction). Also, would be nice to measure distance between two locations (not just between the plane and a location). I played around with iFly GPS as well, and they have a touch the screen with two fingers and it would bring up a measurement.

Neither of these are show stoppers, but would be good features for future updates.

P.S. I know this thread is more than 4 years old, so if there is a new thread that already exists and someone wants to direct me to it that would be great as well.

What device you using?
I have an iPad and use FlyQ. The new version coming out this month I believe also works on iPhone. As a student you can get a cheap subscription.
It does have some decent weather with it, and also has the two finger measuring you speak of....which also includes the maximum height in the distance line.
check it all out at https://seattleavionics.com/default.aspx
They have an online version for desktop planning convenience too. That's version 2.5 for now, but 3.0 is on the way.

Also use Fltplan Go and Avare as backups...which I run on my android phone, or android tablet. (FltPlan works on iOS also)
FlyQ doesn't have a W&B built in at this time, but it's coming according to the developer.
FltPlan Go does have W&B so that's what I use for now.
Avare is not too bad and seems to work on my phone pretty good when I play around with it.

Most any of the threads you find will all be various opinions of Foreflight vs. Garmin Pilot vs. FltPlan, etc.
They are all a different flavor of the same thing.
Just try some of the other free trials and see what you like.
Might want to make sure you're ready to go though. My free trials ended before I had good opportunities to fly.

A lot of folks will say just get Foreflight and be done with it. Not bad advice, as it is a well rounded solution. Some don't want to spend that much money right off the bat without trying others first.

here's one link: https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ative-efbs-flyq-vs-wingx-vs-fltplango.106219/

To search try this-

go to Google and type in- site: pilotsofamerica.com (enter search criteria here...such as EFB or Avare, etc)

Example: site: Pilotsofamerica.com EFB
Example: site: Pilotsofamerica.com Avare

Probably more reading than you want lol.

Good luck!

Just started flying and working on my PPL. Just started working on cross country trips. Is there currently a way to include weather in the flight plan (i.e. it gives you the adjusted heading based on wind speed/direction). Also, would be nice to measure distance between two locations (not just between the plane and a location). I played around with iFly GPS as well, and they have a touch the screen with two fingers and it would bring up a measurement.

Neither of these are show stoppers, but would be good features for future updates.

P.S. I know this thread is more than 4 years old, so if there is a new thread that already exists and someone wants to direct me to it that would be great as well.
As a student you should be working out the wind corrected headings by hand on paper, the EFB of your choice may or may not offer that function.

Avare does do the two finger measure, there is a bit of a trick to it though. you have to touch and drag on the first point(otherwise it will think you are long-pressing the point and pull up that dialog), then touch the second point, it will display the distance between and direction.

Also, would be nice to measure distance between two locations (not just between the plane and a location). I played around with iFly GPS as well, and they have a touch the screen with two fingers and it would bring up a measurement.
Hi.
Avare will do that. It also corrects / adjusts your heading according to wind at the altitude selected.
As others have said It's best to do it yourself as much as you can before the flight.

Use the flightplan function and get a briefing. It'll show you current metars and forecast conditions along your route of flight in color (green for vfr, blue for mvfr, red for ifr purple for LIFR ). Download wx and get metars in color on the chart. I've been using Avare exclusively for years. Good program, can't beat the price!

I have Avare on my Android tablet and my phone. I don't ever fly without it.
I've been in 2 different planes and had total electrical failure. I cranked up Avare and flew on with no problems.
I even bought a cheap phone holder and put a suction cup mount on it (from and old automobile GPS) to use in a plane in case of emergency.

Thanks for the quick responses. I have been doing the preflight the "old fashion" way using a whizwheel and plotter. The sectional is just a pain in the butt to fold into something manageable while flying so wanted something a little easier to keep things organized. I have one of the original Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1s and it seems to run Avare pretty well.

Still trying to figure out the two finger distance measuring thing though. I've tried touching at the same time, touching the first point, moving a little (it then thinks I am panning) and when I touch the second point, it goes to zoom.

I have my "long" cross country coming up so will be trying out an app or maybe two on it. I slightly like the UI better on iFly then on Avare, but as far as functionality is concerned, I haven't seen any difference so free vs paid, I think I'll go the free route for now. I'll check into the FlyQ as well.

[QUOTE="Dover89, post: 2458982, member: 32732]
Still trying to figure out the two finger distance measuring thing though. I've tried touching at the same time, touching the first point, moving a little (it then thinks I am panning) and when I touch the second point, it goes to zoom.
[/QUOTE]
Hi.
Make sure you devices are set up for a quick touch, and try to touch at just about the same time, touch one finger hold, count 1 touch second point, no need to drag, takes some getting used to it, but after that is very easy.
You can practice in Simulation / Navigate toggle, mode otherwise you must have a good GPS signal.

I wasn't aware of that. Also, the two finger thing does work quite effortlessly on a paper sectional.

Yes... The two finger method does work well on the paper sectional.....some question the accuracy of that method though haha.

Make sure you devices are set up for a quick touch, and try to touch at just about the same time, touch one finger hold, count 1 touch second point, no need to drag, takes some getting used to it, but after that is very easy.

Not sure where that setting is (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) but the two touch works on a different app so I would assume (yes i know what assuming does) that the setting is what it needs to be.

Hi.
I am not sure where it is in your device, in my 7in is under Dexterity, see pic.
Start with one finger and hold, then ad / press the second point, it's about the same timing as double mouse click.
DextrIter.jpg

Not sure where that setting is (Samsung Galaxy 10.1) but the two touch works on a different app so I would assume (yes i know what assuming does) that the setting is what it needs to be.

Maybe you aren't looking in the right place. When you pinch to zoom it displays the distance between the two points at the top and disappears when you let go. Just zoom in a little or out a little too make your measurement.

Back