AV related--Long

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
This rare courage I can not fathom. Imagine low level flying unarmed into an enemy held war zone. Imagine circling for multiple approaches staring at the enemy leaning against their 88s.

Time is late April 1945. This was written by Charles Alling, a B-17 pilot with the 34th Bomb Grp., 8th Air Force.

At the time, word was coming by underground wireless from Holland that Dutch civilians were starving to death at the rate of a thousand a day in the German-occupied areas. Germany had held the major cities and had confiscated the food. The Dutch had to resort to eating their cats and dogs. They begged the Germans for grain to no avail and resorted to eating tulip bulbs for nourishment. The winter had been terribly cold, and without blankets and coal they had wrapped themselves in rugs at night to keep warm. Help was desperately needed and the Dutch could not possibly wait for hostilities to end. Until now, the Allies had avoided civilian areas occupied by German troops, because of the intense concentration of artillery and antiaircraft guns. By the end of April, however, the Allies and Germans had entered into negotiations to set up food drops for the Dutch. These negotiations were documented by Dutch historian Walter Maass and they progressed as follows:

For several weeks, the International Red Cross had worked to broker a deal with the Germans, British, and Americans. The relief negotiations were held at a school at Achterveld [a village just within the Allied front line near Amersfoort]. General Eisenhower was represented by General Bedell-Smith, Montgomery by General De Guingaud. Also present were Prince Bernhard and a Russian officer. The German negotiators arrived by car, were stopped at some distance from the meeting place, and proceeded on foot under a white flag. Both parties had brought their experts for organizing the relief work. [Nazi commisioner for the Netherlands] Seyss-Inquart was accompaned by the Dutch Food Commissioner, Louwes...
Discussions started, with the participants facing each other at a large table. Again, Seyss-Inquart rejected unconditional surrender, because such a step would hurt him in the final judgement of history. An arguement began between him and Bedell-Smith and the latter impatiently exclaimed: "Come on, speak up! You know you'll be shot anyway!"
Seyss-Inquart replied, "That leaves me cold."
Whereupon the American scoffed, "It certainly will!"

At the close of the negotiations, six food drops were scheduled to take place in early May. The parties agreed to a five-hour truce during which the Eighth Air Force was allowed to fly over Holland without being shot at by the Germans. The American planes would carry a full crew, without ammunition, fly on a predetermined route, and drop cartons of food at designated drop zones. It was agreed that if a bomber strayed out of the safe corridor, the Germans would shoot blanks as a warning.

May 1, 1945 We were briefed for the first mercy mission, known by some as a "chow haul", to Rotterdam, Holland. We were told the Dutch were starving to death; every dog, cat, and vermin had been eaten. The Dutch had even stripped and burned the wood inside their homes to stay warm. The underground radio reported that relief planes would be coming but the message was met with doubt. Who had ever heard of planes dropping food parcels in a territory occupied by the enemy? No one imagined the Germans would permit it.

John K. Gerhart, commanding general of the 93rd Bomb Wing (which included four bomb groups), was to fly with Capt Delmar Dunham. Dunham led four hundred planes of the Eighth Air Force. We were assigned to fly deputy lead, with Colonel Creer as our command pilot.

We were to fly into Rotterdam at three to four hundred feet and drop "ten-in-one" rations of canned meat, butter, bread, jam, and sacks of flour wrapped in heavy burlap secured by thin steel straps. The drop zones were marked by large red crosses in open fields, parks, race tracks, and an airfield.

The Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces (SHAEF) had given the go-ahead to begin the food drops, and we did not know that the final agreement for the delivery of food was not signed until May 2. That meant the first mercy mission began a day before the agreement was official. If we had known, we would have been far more concerned flying into Rotterdam without ammunition, even though we understood the Germans were not to fire at us.

We assembled at one thousand feet and left England, passing over Felixstowe on the way, and a hundred miles from the coast of Britain we reached Holland. We descended to four hundred feet as we approached Rotterdam. We were in a tight formation off the general's right wing, and there were hundreds of planes behind us. In those moments, I captured a glimpse of the unfolding drama that will rest in my mind forever.

As we approached the drop zone, I realized there were thousands of people lining the streets, leaning out of their windows, and watching from the roof tops. I saw a sea of white; everything was white except for the occasional splash of color. The Dutch were waving anything white they could get their hands on--sheets, handkerchiefs, scarves, towels, and some waved the American flag. Men, women, and children were full of excitement and joy, cheering, clapping, and dancing while the German gunners leaned against the barrels of their 88mm cannons. If a German had dared to shoot, I believe he would have been trampled to death by the Dutch.

Up ahead I could see the drop zone in a field, and as we approached there was a surging mass of people. We had to drop our food quickly and expeditiously to avoid any accidental casualities. There were brave, elderly citizens trying to hold back an exhultant crowd.

"Bombs away!" called Bill, and Miss Prudy bounced up as cartons of food were released. We gradually gained altitude and slowly banked to the left, heading toward the English Channel as I flew off Dunham's right wing in close formation. As we left Rotterdam, other groups in the fleet of B-17s were still making their way in, each a part of a mercy mission.

Not far from the coast of England, I was conscious that I was tiring. My left wrist was numb--I had been flying in tight formation for hours without relief. Suddenly, Dunham's plane swerved to the right unexpectedly. Colonel Creer, alert and nimble, grabbed the wheel, turning away just in time to avoid a mid-air collision. Dunham straightened out and we quickly returned to our formation. "Thank you, Colonel Creer, my hands are numb. I can't feel the steering wheel--I can't grip it anymore."
"Alling, why don't you let me fly the plane to the base? I'm sorry I didn't spell you sooner. I got so carried away with the sight below us that I forgot to share the load with you."

May 3, 1945 We were briefed for our second mercy mission, the third launched by the Eighth Air Force in that first week of May. This flight would take us over Amsterdam. We were the lead plane of the Eighth Air Force with Lieutenant Colonel Ed Freeman, 18th Squadron commander, as our command pilot. We received instructions to fly single file over the city to ensure the accuracy of the food drop on the designated red cross zones.

As we approached the continent, the weather turned sour and it began to rain. I knew the poor visibility would make the accuracy of this drop challenging. As we were the first to approach Amsterdam, I flew in at three hundred feet off the ground with the 34th Bomb Group behind me. Over the city I dipped my wings to alert the Germans not to shoot. I wondered if every German soldier would heed this armistice; if one fired, we would be the first to go. For a few moments it was tense, but once I believed the Germans would keep their commitment, we searched for the drop zone. Without a break in the clouds and continued poor visibility, we had to circle the city and make another pass. As we approached, Bill called in, "Chuck, I can't see the target!"
"Okay, we're going to do a 360," I replied.

As Colonel Freeman informed the rest of the command pilots, I knew he was becoming anxious. This assignment was turning out to be more difficult than expected with poor visibility, limited time, limited gas supply, and hundreds more planes of the Eighth Air Force coming up behind us. With each and every minute that we were unable to drop the food, this mission became increasingly complex.

Eight minutes later, we approached the city for another pass. Bill called, "Bomb bay doors open! Flaps down!" I felt a sense of relief knowing the food drop would take place any moment. With the flaps down, it gave Miss Prudy the lift she needed as our true ground speed was 140 miles per hour, we couldn't go any slower or we'd stall out. We were now three hundred feet off the ground. Just moments before the drop, Bill called on the intercom, "Chuck, I still can't see anything!"

Now we were in real trouble. "All right", I said, "Let's circle and we'll try again." I gave Freeman the signal. Thirty-eight planes followed us around the city once more. I took a deep breath. As we circled Amsterdam, Bill said, "Chuck, we've got to try this one more time, and this time we have to fly as low as we possibly can without stalling out!" Bill was agitated.

"How much lower do you think we can go?" I asked, wondering if this food drop was possible.
"Drop to two hundred feet", Bill called, "But for God's sake don't go any lower!"
This would have to be our final attempt, and I certainly could not fly any lower unless we wanted to wrap ourselves around a tree or a windmill. I was exasperated and worried. As we flew back over Amsterdam, I thought of all the Dutch who were starving and desperate for relief. If we could not find the drop zone, there would be chaos in the streets.

"There it is!", Bill yelled, unleashing all his pent-up tension. "I can see the cross! Bombs away!" Bill pulled the switched and cartons of food fell to the earth.

For those watching from below, I can only imagine the sight of hundreds of B-17s flying into the city at a dangerously low level. The noise of the engines must have been deafening as five hundred bombers flew over Amsterdam, one after the next, every thirty seconds, for three and a half hours, dropping thousands of cartons of food.

I looked down for a few seconds. There were thousands of people running in the streets with their white handerkerchiefs, white cloth, white flags, anything white. And then I focused on something I will never forget. There was a gray-haired gentleman with a wooded pegleg, swinging a cane, and hobbling in the direction of the food. A little girl with long blonde hair, who must have been his granddaughter, was restraining him with all her might. She leaned back, her heels dug into the soil, pulling his coattails to keep him from moving forward into the falling cartons of food.

Ray saw people standing behind glass doors waving, a cow tumble and fall as it was hit by a carton of food, and a funeral cortege of horses that pulled a caisson with the casket on it, the mourners walking behind clutching flowers. Sometimes it's the oddest things that remain fixed in our memory.

During the first three days in May alone, eight hundred tons of food were dropped over Holland, enough to provide 1,080,000 meals. The mercy missions were a massive undertaking and unprecedented in wartime history.

Richard, the name of the book is? (again) I need to get a copy of this to read...

A number of edited interviews with WWII aviators and others involved with aviation over the past 100 years are now available for free viewing on the "Timeless Voices of Aviation" oral history website, www.timelessvoices.org. These are just the first 100 interviews of a growing archive of over 600. More will be added on a monthly basis.

A program of the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and an official partner of the Library of Congress Veterans History Project, "Timeless Voices" is working to preserve aviation history through the words and memories of those who have lived it.

That is awesome! Thanks! And thanks for the link, as well!

Steve said:
A number of edited interviews with WWII aviators and others involved with aviation over the past 100 years are now available for free viewing on the "Timeless Voices of Aviation" oral history website, www.timelessvoices.org. These are just the first 100 interviews of a growing archive of over 600. More will be added on a monthly basis.

A program of the EAA AirVenture Museum in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, and an official partner of the Library of Congress Veterans History Project, "Timeless Voices" is working to preserve aviation history through the words and memories of those who have lived it.
We tried to get my wife's father involved in that. The old coot stubbornly held his ground--he took his stories to the grave with him last year.

He was a B-25 pilot on anti-sub patrol out of FLA and Puerto Rico. They got two and one probable. During a crash landing his entire crew and a photographer died and he was the only survivor (with a broken back). He never forgave himself.

Bill Jennings said:
Just ordered from an Amazon re-seller, new book delivered for < $7. Can't wait to get it, judging on what you've posted and the good reviews.
I'm really enjoying this book. In fact, I've stopped reading anything else just so I can contemplate the stories within. The author has a love affair with commas, over zealous even.

In the middle of an all out shooting war to end all wars, both sides had the decency to set their guns down to feed the starving people. Even to the point of delivering the food with the same bombers that were giving the enemy so much grief while the enemy just watched the planes go over without firing a shot...

I've heard other things happening along these lines where everyone put their guns down to do what should be done under the circumstances.

Chivalrous - by both sides.

It makes me completely ashamed of the society we live in today.

I think I need to go find a book now...

fgcason said:
In the middle of an all out shooting war to end all wars, both sides had the decency to set their guns down to feed the starving people. Even to the point of delivering the food with the same bombers that were giving the enemy so much grief while the enemy just watched the planes go over without firing a shot...

I've heard other things happening along these lines where everyone put their guns down to do what should be done under the circumstances.

Chivalrous - by both sides.

It makes me completely ashamed of the society we live in today.

I think I need to go find a book now...
WWII wasn't the war to end all wars, it was to stop the expansion of pure evil and then to eliminate it.

I don't know if you like war history but if you're looking for a good read may I suggest the story of the 99th in Malmedy during the Battle of the Bulge. It ties in well with the subject of cessation of hostilities made as kind gestures by both sides towards their enemy. Especially poignant was the celebration of Christmas at a German POW camp during a night time bombing raid. Both sides joined in the celebration and both sides ran for cover when they realized they were the target of the raid.

I have not yet come to understand how soldiers can show kindness to the enemy during war time. It's a level of compassion in a high stress environment I just can not grasp.

Oh yeah: Frank, I don't understand your comment about being ashamed of today's society. Elaborate, please.

Last edited:
Richard said:
I have not yet come to understand how soldiers can show kindness to the enemy during war time. It's a level of compassion in a high stress environment I just can not grasp.

You want crazy?
During WWII, there was two entrenched lines, Germans on one side, Americans on the other. Two enemy companies, a bunch of guns and no innocent bystanders. Everyone there was a participant in the fighting. They had been shooting each other to smithereens for a couple days. It was Christmas eve and most of the shooting was calming down for the evening while everyone regrouped. Both sides realized they were close enough to hear the other side talking. It took a while but the two sides arranged a truce for the night. Everyone left their guns and knives in the trenches and met halfway between the lines for a Christmas eve party of sorts. Everyone got along just fine and nothing bad happened all night except for a few getting fall down drunk but that was self inflicted. The agreement was that hostility was to resume in the morning once everyone was safely back in their own trenches thus no one gets shot without a fighting chance. Fair's fair kind of thing. The next morning they went back to shooting each other business as usual.
To some extent I can understand a truce to help the innocent bystander population. But, just how do you walk around having a good time at a party when half the people in the party is the known enemy and has just spent the last few days trying to personally murder you? That's totally beyond me.
My dad told me that story. He got the story directly from my uncle. My uncle was one of the US soldiers that participated in the party between the lines that Christmas night.

Richard said:
I don't understand your comment about being ashamed of today's society. Elaborate, please.

I guess I have a weird point of view on things. Just watch the evening news sometime. Think 9-11 and the holy lands... The current war and assorted attack nonsense is specifically about targeting the innocent bystanders even if it is a gov't based disagreement. Line up with the enemy troops and have an honorable shootout? No way, no how, not when they can walk into a crowded mall, or street crammed full of innocents, or get their hands on a B767 cruise missile and go kablooey. The thought process is off balance from WWII principles but I just don't see the current warmongering situation suddenly allowing in a food drop without quite an unreasonable amount of shooting being involved. "Hi El-Quada, we'll leave the guns and bombs at home so we can't even defend outselves and you put your weapons down too from 7am-3pm on these specific days so we can send in a bunch of B-52's to air drop food to your people along this specific route then we'll drive a bunch of unarmed trucks in right through your front lines to stock up the places that didn't get enough." That just ain't happening in the world of today...at least not successfully.

As a friend of mine from way back was fond of saying: 'Chivalry is dead.'

Frank, that aint my society; in fact, it's a whole 'nother culture. But the ME is not really a war in the same class of other wars. What is going on in the ME is a continuing expression of a G-d ordained enmity which has existed forever and will not end until the appointed day. Guess who has appointed that day? A theologian well versed in the epistomology of the original translations will be able to open your eyes to the true nature of what that is all about. It is very interesting to say the least.

Wars such as WWI, WWII, Korea, etc have been about political ideaology and/or a mineral grab. Even still, how combatants can agree to lay down their arms for a brief moment is simply unfathomable to me. There are many stories of such occurences.

Here is one: the time is several months before the Bulge so the German presence on the eastern front had not yet been diluted by redeployment to the western front. It happened on the eastern front no less. Talk about brutal fighting, the Germans and the Russians despised each other so greatly there is little which compares to that hatred. The Germans were confident they were going to crush the Russians. Nothing could stop them. It was a horrific time on that front as already intense fighting became even more so. The Germans had flanked the Russians and were driving up the center towards complete annihilation of the Russians.

Out of the midst of the Russian ranks came several priests followed by nuns of the Russian Orthodox church. They walked right across the front lines and continued down the road towards their destination. No white flag, no attempt at communicating their intentions.

Both sides laid down there arms in respect for the clergy. After the priests and nuns had left the area the air remained silent. A German soldier stood up and followed after the clergy on the road. Then another and another. They were joined by some Russian soldiers. Then the lines broke and the men from both sides joined in the middle unarmed and wished each other well.

A Panzer division moved in and destroyed the moment. Everyone scrambled back to cover and resumed fighting. Word of what happened got back to HQ and many German officers were shot for allowing that of peace to happen.

That occured as the Germans were marching on St Petersburg.

Events like that cause me to wonder if I've always had it all wrong. I've not been in combat but I would think I would want to so completely and utterly subdue my enemy if I were in the fight. And then there are those stories...

Richard said:
the raid.

Not so hard to fathom. we and the germans had very similar belief systems, and there were not great differences between European and American society. And, I don't think the average German and average American hated each others guts. A gentlemans truce for life saving food or Christmass, I can see that.

Now, what we're against now, no societal or belief similarities. And, most of that world has been trained to hate our world from birth.

Think if a truce to drop food would have worked with the Japanese? Think Bataan death march, then think no way. Too dissimilar of culture, too much outright hatred. We had to nuke them twice to even get them talking...

Bill Jennings said:
Not so hard to fathom. we and the germans had very similar belief systems, and there were not great differences between European and American society. And, I don't think the average German and average American hated each others guts. A gentlemans truce for life saving food or Christmass, I can see that.

Now, what we're against now, no societal or belief similarities. And, most of that world has been trained to hate our world from birth.

Think if a truce to drop food would have worked with the Japanese? Think Bataan death march, then think no way. Too dissimilar of culture, too much outright hatred. We had to nuke them twice to even get them talking...
Bill, I often that would be the explanation but then, how to explain the Poles against the Germans, as one example? Western Europe is populated be people with very close allies AND a long history of hatred, all of whom have a somewhat similar culture.

The Chinese and the Japanese, no way, although we would view them as being similar. Same goes for different parts of India, where one segment of the population is very much at odds with another segment in the same culture.

Richard said:
Time is late April 1945. This was written by Charles Alling, a B-17 pilot with the 34th Bomb Grp., 8th Air Force.

My copy arrived yesterday, I read the 1st 10 chapters last night, couldn't stop. What courage, man, those guys had nine lives.

Good read.

Bill Jennings said:
My copy arrived yesterday, I read the 1st 10 chapters last night, couldn't stop. What courage, man, those guys had nine lives.

Good read.
You got that right! Tell me when you read of their flight home.

Richard;

Thank you for the post. I do remember one surviving uncle telling me the story.

Thank you for sharing

John

Richard said:
You got that right! Tell me when you read of their flight home.

I just did. To think you've survived the flak and fighters and almost go out like that. And then to fly that same plane the rest of the way home...brass. No doubt.

Bill Jennings said:
I just did. To think you've survived the flak and fighters and almost go out like that. And then to fly that same plane the rest of the way home...brass. No doubt.
The thing is it seemed like they all felt like they were just doing their job. Nothing extraordinary, just doing what had to be done.

Yeah...would you fly a newly broke-in engine across the North Atlantic? I wonder if the engine being new and it's failure on long legs had anything to do with each other. I could argue the case for and against doing so. Tom, Denny, Pilawt, others, what are your opinions on this?

Bill, what did you think of his writing style? It seems the stories were thrilling enough that even the worst telling would hold the reader captivated.

Richard said:
Bill, what did you think of his writing style? It seems the stories were thrilling enough that even the worst telling would hold the reader captivated.

I thought his style was somewhat dry and third personish, but the stories stand for themselves. And, the method and style of the story telling seems to go with the humble style of that "greatest" generation.

I have nothing but admiration, respect, and grattitude for these folks, and I am touched by everything I read about these humble heros. I wonder if present day Americans would stand up and do like these guys did? I would hope so...

Bill Jennings said:
I thought his style was somewhat dry and third personish, but the stories stand for themselves. And, the method and style of the story telling seems to go with the humble style of that "greatest" generation.
I agree and you said it better than I could.

I have nothing but admiration, respect, and grattitude for these folks, and I am touched by everything I read about these humble heros. I wonder if present day Americans would stand up and do like these guys did? I would hope so...
I think we still have soldiers every bit as good as those we read about. Remember, those captivating stories were often not publicized until after the war. Today, our military are making those same stories of valor and heroism, we just don't hear about it unless you know someone who was there as it happened.

But today's stories will be different, it's no longer a level playing field. Today's military is so technologically superior to our enemy that our men and women are not flying through flak, etc. So while those stories are being made and will one day be told, the setting will not be the same.

Back