Av chart symbols--a quiz

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Answer the questions you DON'T know or you are unsure of to give others a chance.

VFR CHARTS

What do the letters, UC, in aeronautical blue immediately adjacent to a symbol for a man made structure indicate?

The magenta shaded (filled in) circle used to indicate a civilian aprt shows all recognizable rwys. Would this include rwys which are closed?

What rwy surface could you expect at the above mentioned arprt?

What does the dashed grey line around SUA indicate?

VFR checkpoints are depicted by a magenta pennant flag. What is signified by a VFR checkpoint printed in blue?

Why do some magenta pennant flags not feature a 5 letter identifier? What is the significance if they have the identifier?

IFR LO/HI ALT CHARTS

Why are some nav/comm boxes shaded on two sides but not others?

The TACAN freq is underlined. Why?

The TACAN freq depicted in the box is overprinted with light grey or brown hash marks. What is the significance of the hash marks?

How is an unusable route depicted?

US TERMINAL PROCEDURES

Are VDPs depicted on approach charts?

How is a flyover waypoint depicted?

What is the primary distinction between the ALSF-2 and ALSF-1 lighting systems and what does it signify?

A U.S. Navy Optical lighting system (OLS) may be depicted on the aprt diagram. Why?

Name at least one aprt within the 'lower 48' at which there is an ICAO speed restriction.

Last edited:
Richard said:
Answer the questions you DON'T know or you are unsure of to give others a chance.

VFR CHARTS

What do the letters, UC, in aeronautical blue immediately adjacent to a symbol for a man made structure indicate?

The magenta shaded (filled in) circle used to indicate a civilian aprt shows all recognizable rwys. Would this include rwys which are closed?

VFR checkpoints are depicted by a magenta pennant flag. What is signified by a VFR checkpoint printed in blue?

Why do some magenta pennant flags not feature a 5 letter identifier? What is the significance if they have the identifier?

IFR LO/HI ALT CHARTS

The TACAN freq depicted in the box is overprinted with light grey or bown hash marks. What is the significance of the hash marks?

US TERMINAL PROCEDURES

What is the primary distinction between the ALSF-2 and ALSF-1 lighting systems and what does it signify?

A U.S. Navy Optical lighting system (OLS) may be depicted on the aprt diagram. Why?

Name at least one aprt within the 'lower 48' at which there is an ICAO speed restriction.

LOL - I know 'em all - so I'll restrain from answering ;)

NickDBrennan said:
LOL - I know 'em all - so I'll restrain from answering ;)
Really? You're tempting me. I thought I'd go easy for the 1st round but if you want to skip right up to the playoffs--let's go.

Last time someone did something like this, the person provided a prize for the first all-correct answer. I've still got that coffee mug, and don't need another, so I'll take a pass on this, but what prize are you offering, Richard?

Ron Levy said:
Last time someone did something like this, the person provided a prize for the first all-correct answer. I've still got that coffee mug, and don't need another, so I'll take a pass on this, but what prize are you offering, Richard?
Ron, seeing how all this fits within your normal job duties as instructor would a much appreciative attaboy suffice?

On a serious note, you make a good point. But before I go forward with naming a prize, how difficult do you suppose this quiz is? Like I said to Nick, I went easy the 1st round. However, I can afford a few bucks mailed to the winner for a six pack of his or her favorite brew. How now?

Why is it you AF guys always have your hand out?:)

Alright, just post your answers. First guy or gal to the top wins. Of course, due to differences in time zones, it will be time corrected so it's really last guy with all the answers wins.:)

Last edited:
Im still trying to remember what that star means above airports....

Richard said:
Alright, just post your answers. First guy to the top wins. Of course, due to differences in time zones, it will be time corrected so it's really last guy with all the answers wins.:)

GUY??? Guess I won't even play then! :p

Missa

Missa said:
GUY??? Guess I won't even play then! :p

Missa
Missa, please accept my profound apologies. I regret my lack of sensitivity towards people of gender. I now realize that such carelessness on my behalf will not, and should not, be tolerated. I hold no ill will towards non-guys; in fact, some of my best friends are gals.

Now, can we get on with the quiz? No one has posted a dang thing. Is it me? What? 72 oz of your favorite brew or 750 ml of wine to the pilot who can correctly answer first.

(please, no offense meant)

Last edited:
Richard said:
Really? You're tempting me. I thought I'd go easy for the 1st round but if you want to skip right up to the playoffs--let's go.

Too easy. lets go to the playoffs. i do admit had to look up one.

OK - here we go:

VFR CHARTS

UC = Under Construction. Also - the altitude given has not been verified
Yes - Closed Runways are shown

Hard surface, longer than 1500ft, but shorter than 8700ft

I have never seen this. If you mean solid, then it is an MTR.

Then it is a designated VFR reporting point

Those with the 5 letter identifier can be found in a GPS database or entered into flight plans.

IFR LO/HI ALT CHARTS

Those with the shaded boxes mean that 122.2, and 121.5 are available

No voice is transmitted

The TACAN freq depicted in the box is overprinted with light grey or brown hash marks. What is the significance of the hash marks?
Check NOTAMs, irregular status

With slashes across the route /\/\/\ etc.

US TERMINAL PROCEDURES

Yes - in profile view

Circled waypoint symbol

ALSF-II has red side row lights for the last 1000ft. of runway.

Because it it high enough that it may be an obstruction

If I am understanding the question correctly, then KSAF - a class D airport has one.

Since Nick beat me to it I'll take the question he didn't answer.

Richard said:

A control tower in class G/E airspace. We got one of those here in MI at Camp Grayling.

(tho next time pictures would be helpfull at first read I thought is was a TERSA but those are solid gray lines around a class D airport)

Re: Av chart symbols--a quiz (thread hijack)

Ron Levy said:

I miss Karin. She is a pretty clever person.

Missa said:
Since Nick beat me to it I'll take the question he didn't answer.

A control tower in class G/E airspace. We got one of those here in MI at Camp Grayling.

(tho next time pictures would be helpfull at first read I thought is was a TERSA but those are solid gray lines around a class D airport)

Not seeing that on the chart. What grey line around KGOV?

N2212R said:
Not seeing that on the chart. What grey line around KGOV?

Ok, maybe I'm mistken.... not looking at the charts here at work. I know there is something funny about the symbol at grayling but now I'm not sure what....

Maybe it has the blue color of a control tower with no airspace designation....

now I want to get out to my car and 'cause my charts are in there.

Last edited:
I guess this thread is dead...

Last edited:
Ya, it seem to not have taken off well... oh well and I want to know if your right... I thought the dashed line he was talking about was 'around' the airport... that's why next time take Picz! not all of us have a miami chart handy.

Missa

oh - did he mean SUA like KSUA? I thought he meant "Special Use Airspace."

Must go look at a Miami sectional then

cherokeeflyboy said:
Page 14, bottom left. Interestingly, as printed in the link you provided it is a dashed blue line, whereas in the actual user's giude it is dashed grey line. Nontheless, a dashed line around SUA is used to signify that the SUA is expandable; check NOTAMs.

Aprts are not SUA.

cherokeeflyboy said:
Richard said:

Special Military Activity Routes (SMAR)
That would be a solid grey line with grey hatches pointing inward towards the SMAR. Also, each segment of the SMAR contains a ceiling and floor expressed in hundreds of feet agl. I asked simply about a dashed grey line--no more, no less.

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Page 14, bottom left has information about passable locks....I don't follow
See "TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION (TFR) RELATING TO NATIONAL SECURITY Example: P-40/R-4009.

... SUA is an airport :D
As defined under 14 CFR 73.3, perhaps. As defined under AIM 3-4-1, no.

Richard said:
As defined under 14 CFR 73.3, perhaps. As defined under AIM 3-4-1, no.

You missed the joke man. KSUA - Witham Field Airport, Stuart, Florida.

Very enlightening quiz tho.

Richard said:
See "TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION (TFR) RELATING TO NATIONAL SECURITY Example: P-40/R-4009.

As defined under 14 CFR 73.3, perhaps. As defined under AIM 3-4-1,
no.

FAA Identifier: SUA Lat/Long: 27-10-54.1000N / 080-13-15.9000W
27-10.901667N / 080-13.265000W
27.1816944 / -80.2210833
(estimated) Elevation: 18 ft. / 5.5 m (surveyed) Variation: 05W (2000) From city: 1 mile SE of STUART, FL Zip code: 34996 I thought thatTEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION (TFR) RELATING TO NATIONAL SECURITY Example: P-40/R-4009. Would be blue. Is on my copy. The only solid GREY lines i can find are military training routes They are abviousley not a SUA. The so called grey line around a airport (TRSA) is actually black. see Wilimgron, NC (ILM) on the charlotte sectional.
So as far as a dashed grey line is concerned Your book showes it as grey, mine blue..go figure! This one gave us more problems than I expected. as luck would have it, the one I thought I looked up properly.
I love to play stump the Dummy! Great way to learn some things.

cherokeeflyboy said:
FAA Identifier: SUA Lat/Long: 27-10-54.1000N / 080-13-15.9000W
27-10.901667N / 080-13.265000W
27.1816944 / -80.2210833
(estimated) Elevation: 18 ft. / 5.5 m (surveyed) Variation: 05W (2000) From city: 1 mile SE of STUART, FL Zip code: 34996 I thought thatTEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTION (TFR) RELATING TO NATIONAL SECURITY Example: P-40/R-4009. Would be blue. Is on my copy. The only solid GREY lines i can find are military training routes They are abviousley not a SUA. The so called grey line around a airport (TRSA) is actually black. see Wilimgron, NC (ILM) on the charlotte sectional.
So as far as a dashed grey line is concerned Your book showes it as grey, mine blue..go figure! This one gave us more problems than I expected. as luck would have it, the one I thought I looked up properly.
I love to play stump the Dummy! Great way to learn some things.
Well, if it gives us reason to consult the reference than that is enough reason for me.

And now that I think about it, why wouldn't it be blue? The associated SUA is depicted in blue, so why not the dashed line representing the expanded SUA? Doh! didn't even occur to me 'til just now. I was thrown off by a printer's error in the user's guide.

I have seen the TRSA at Palm Springs depicted alternately by a black line or a gray line on different editions of the same sectional chart. But in either case there was an identifier box also shown so at least a pilot knew what they were looking at.

I hate to reactivate a dead thread, but this is the best place for this post.

Richard - is this what you were talking about, with the grey markings, or is this something else? If its something else, then what is it then?

Nick, you're apologetic about raising the dead? Oy.

Neither of the pics are what I meant. In the first pic, the solid blue line with blue hash marks depicts the lateral boundries of R-airspace. Note it is a solid line. The hash marks extend from the solid line into the SUA.

The 2nd pic is a solid grey line with grey hash marks which depicts a Special Military Activity Training Route (SMAR). Note it is a solid line. The hash marks also extend from the solid line to the inside of the designated airspace.

The difference from a Military Training Route (MTR, depicted by single solid grey line) is that the SMAR is segmented into sections which will have different floors, ceilings, and lateral boundaries. Another distinction of the SMAR is there may be no speed restrictions and the participating a/c may be carrying live munitions. On the sectional there will be an information box associated with the SMAR advising who to call and which freq to use to get the information if the SMAR is in use. They may also include information specific to what type of activity is being conducted. (You may decide to delay or avoid transiting the SMAR depending on a/c type and activity. Fighters moving at 600 KTs or practicing merges is different than tankers in trail at a sedate 300 KTs.)

As an aside, a MTR at and below 1,500 AGL will be identified by four numbers and are generally flown VFR.

The dashed line surrounding the SUA which I mentioned in the quiz is shown as grey in my User's Guide but that is a printer's error because the line is actually blue. As example, P-40 is a 8 nm (I think) diameter circle shown by a solid blue line with blue hash marks pointing inward from the solid line. Outside and immediately adjacent to that solid blue line is a wide dashed line also shown in blue. That dashed line depicts the lateral boundaries when P-40 is expanded. The wide dashed line is there to remind the pilot to chec NOTAMs for when the SUA is expanded.

Whew! I know visuals would help a great deal, but since it was a quiz I thought I would not include such in order to get people delving into the chart legends and AIM.

Richard said:
Nick, you're apologetic about raising the dead? Oy.

Neither of the pics are what I meant. In the first pic, the solid blue line with blue hash marks depicts the lateral boundries of R-airspace. Note it is a solid line. The hash marks extend from the solid line into the SUA.

The 2nd pic is a solid grey line with grey hash marks which depicts a Special Military Activity Training Route (SMAR). Note it is a solid line. The hash marks also extend from the solid line to the inside of the designated airspace.

The difference from a Military Training Route (MTR, depicted by single solid grey line) is that the SMAR is segmented into sections which will have different floors, ceilings, and lateral boundaries. Another distinction of the SMAR is there may be no speed restrictions and the participating a/c may be carrying live munitions. On the sectional there will be an information box associated with the SMAR advising who to call and which freq to use to get the information if the SMAR is in use. They may also include information specific to what type of activity is being conducted. (You may decide to delay or avoid transiting the SMAR depending on a/c type and activity. Fighters moving at 600 KTs or practicing merges is different than tankers in trail at a sedate 300 KTs.)

As an aside, a MTR at and below 1,500 AGL will be identified by four numbers and are generally flown VFR.

The dashed line surrounding the SUA which I mentioned in the quiz is shown as grey in my User's Guide but that is a printer's error because the line is actually blue. As example, P-40 is a 8 nm (I think) diameter circle shown by a solid blue line with blue hash marks pointing inward from the solid line. Outside and immediately adjacent to that solid blue line is a wide dashed line also shown in blue. That dashed line depicts the lateral boundaries when P-40 is expanded. The wide dashed line is there to remind the pilot to chec NOTAMs for when the SUA is expanded.

Whew! I know visuals would help a great deal, but since it was a quiz I thought I would not include such in order to get people delving into the chart legends and AIM.

I think you are missing what I'm talking about in the pictures.

They both have grey hashed lines. On the first pic - just north of "Orogrande" there is one connecting the two Restricted areas, and another one just below the "18" on the VOR Rose.

In the second picture, they're all over the place. I have no idea what those hashed lines are. Same style as R-Space or MOA, but not the same color. If its not what you're referring to (as I can plainly see its not), then what is it?

Got it. Those are SMAR segments shown in both pics. See the associated AGL figures. The lines of which you speak are used to depict a change in lateral boundaries. The AGL figures (one printed above the other) depict a change in floor and ceiling.

Now that this thread has been resurrected from the dead, Richard you
said "I thought I'd go easy for the 1st round but if you want to skip right up to the playoffs--let's go." Well, let the playoffs begin!!
Regards, KD

Richard said:
Got it. Those are SMAR segments shown in both pics. See the associated AGL figures. The lines of which you speak are used to depict a change in lateral boundaries. The AGL figures (one printed above the other) depict a change in floor and ceiling.

hmm interesting. You'd think something like that would be explained on the sectional's legend, eh?

cherokeeflyboy said:
Now that this thread has been resurrected from the dead, Richard you
said "I thought I'd go easy for the 1st round but if you want to skip right up to the playoffs--let's go." Well, let the playoffs begin!!
Regards, KD
This quiz didn't go as smooth as I had hoped. Let's not endure that again. Y'all have any suggestions for making it better?

OTOH, if you think you're ready for the next round why not prove it by answering all the questions in this round? That prize is still unclaimed.

Richard said:
This quiz didn't go as smooth as I had hoped. Let's not endure that again. Y'all have any suggestions for making it better?

OTOH, if you think you're ready for the next round why not prove it by answering all the questions in this round? That prize is still unclaimed.

I must have lost track somewhere, I thought that all the questions have now been answered..

cherokeeflyboy said:
I must have lost track somewhere, I thought that all the questions have now been answered..

He must want all the answers in a single post.

Missa

Back