Aux Fuel Pump?

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
AC= 2004 T182T. On this aircraft, I have noticed some foreign material such as a few small bits of plastic or rubbery looking stuff in one fuel sump. There are three sumps under the cowl. The two lowest ones near the center of the cowl have been fine. But, the one near the passenger side is the one I have seen the stuff. I would sample the sump a second time and it would be clear. Sometimes it would be clear first look, and other times it would take a second look. This gives me a feeling that something is wrong in that fuel path.

Now, this AC has been having trouble getting started at times. When I turn on the fuel pump for priming, sometimes the flow goes to the middle of the green, and other times, it barely moves. Certainly, its flow for priming has not been consistent. So, I am thinking that maybe the Auxiliary fuel pump may have impeller parts breaking down internally and spitting pieces of plastic to this sump.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else experience something similar? Anyone know if this sump I described is related to the Auxiliary fuel pump?

has throttle position been a constant during your inconsistent priming experiences? Ive never flown the new model 182s but in some airplanes i've flown you have to crack open the throttle to get fuel flow while priming.

has throttle position been a constant during your inconsistent priming experiences? Ive never flown the new model 182s but in some airplanes i've flown you have to crack open the throttle to get fuel flow while priming.

That is a great point. I don't recall if it has, but I will go do some testing and pay close attention to that.

Can it hurt anything if I go and try the prime operation and then leave it without running the engine?

The worst might be some fuel running out the servo vent if you run the boost pump for very long.

Can it hurt anything if I go and try the prime operation and then leave it without running the engine?

Thanks!

It looks like I had operator error. I checked it with the throttle closed and very little flow showed on the gauge. Checked it again with the throttle opened some, and flow went to the normal range.

POA is such a great resource!

Check the gas cap gaskets to see if they are what's giving up the debris.

This AC has 13 sumps, (5 on each wing, and three under the nose). All the ones on the wings are always clear. The only one with occasional debris is under the nose. I would think if gas caps were a cause, then I would be finding debris from many of the sumps or at lease some of the wing sumps...

This AC has 13 sumps, (5 on each wing, and three under the nose). All the ones on the wings are always clear. The only one with occasional debris is under the nose. I would think if gas caps were a cause, then I would be finding debris from many of the sumps or at lease some of the wing sumps...
I occasionally find very small amounts of sediment when sumping under the cowling a T182T myself. The three sumps there are from the:
- fuel strainer
- auxiliary fuel pump
- selector valve

I think that the valve you're referring to is from the fuel strainer, and is the same one I've seen sediment from.

I haven't had any issues starting, however.

Rubbery stuff? Could it be some of the fuel tank sealant flaking/peeling off??

Are you seeing any fuel weeping? Blue stains? Some folks use their flaps as speed brakes at excessive speeds (I'm not saying you did, but someone else may have). Resulting stress on rear part of the fuel tank can create leaks. Hard to tell unless the mechanic takes a peek inside, but a fuel leak is a definite sign. Those black particles could be the first sign. I'd keep an eye on it.

I had it happen on my 2004 T182T. Previous owner was a go fast/slow down fast kinda guy based on my brief meeting with him. I'm pretty sure he would just dump flaps any old time to drop, airspeed be damned. Left me with the bill. What is irritating is that I noticed the blue stains, still quite small at that point, during the prebuy, but the A&P waved it off as nothing. Had I only known.

Back