Autopilot parts sources?

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Hi all, yeah, long time no hear. Very busy with life, etc.

Our autopilot trim servo is dead:

King KS-270, P/N 065-0059-02. Our avionics shop quoted $3350+tax+shipping for a refurb. Looking on the internet I see prices about 1 AMU less.

Does anyone have any favorite shops that specialize in autopilot parts?

Thanks!

Don't have a source for you, but glad to see you back! Stay a while. :)

Try Autopilot Central. Bob Ferguson retired, so somebody else will answer. Have you checked the restricted-access on-line sources?

1. I second Autopilot Central

2. Mid-Continent Instruments and Avionics
http://www.mcico.com/Portal.aspx?CN=504C0F3846CC&MN=!MN!
$2400 for a direct exchange. On your exact servo.

3 Call King directly in Olathe , I bought an overhauled KFC 150 computer there, very reasonable.

4 Call Jared at Beegles aircraft in Greely CO, he may have a used one if your into that.

Edit: The piper center in DSM has overhauled a roll servo for me (they work on King stuff ), I think it was $1,200 ish by the time it was overnighted back to me in LNK.

Last edited:
Hi all, yeah, long time no hear. Very busy with life, etc.

Our autopilot trim servo is dead:

King KS-270, P/N 065-0059-02. Our avionics shop quoted $3350+tax+shipping for a refurb. Looking on the internet I see prices about 1 AMU less.

Does anyone have any favorite shops that specialize in autopilot parts?

Thanks!

Bill,

That part number is for a Pitch Servo, not a trim servo. If your trim servo is dead, I have one from my salvage M20J with an 8130 form, P/N 065-0029-11. If the pitch servo is really your problem, you can have it rebuilt barring any catastrophic damage. I just had a roll servo motor rebuilt from the same plane for another M20J owner.

I also have the KFC 200 flight computer, annunciator panel, mode controller, etc. available.

Scott

Call Griffin in Hyannis, MA. I've been in their shop and they seem to have parts/units on the shelves for just about any A/P out there

Bill, HOW THE HELL ARE YA? We miss you and Brent here!!!! I've heard there is a good place in Oklahoma but thats about all I know.

Try Autopilot Central. Bob Ferguson retired, so somebody else will answer. Have you checked the restricted-access on-line sources?

I talked to Barry Sparks a couple weeks ago and he helped me out with a calibration problem. Looks like Barry is doing double duty now that Bob is out to pasture.

This. Avionics shop sent the roll servo from my broken KFC150 to them - It had parts rattling around inside when it was removed - and I got it back for less than 1 AMU.

3 Call King directly in Olathe , I bought an overhauled KFC 150 computer there, very reasonable.

Taters and all, thanks for the leads! I've spoken with a fellow named Gerry at Kings who is very knowledgable in autopilot systems. Based on his descriptions of symptoms and how they relate to pitch and trim servos, both of ours likely need some attention. They can overhaul the servos for $800-900ea on average. Far FAR better than our local avionics shop quote of $3350ea. We are having our A&P pull both and will be shipping them this week.

Thanks, and I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Bill, HOW THE HELL ARE YA? We miss you and Brent here!!!! I've heard there is a good place in Oklahoma but thats about all I know.

Life has been....life. I'll brain dump on ya soon, hopefully!

Update:

The trim servo was in relatively good shape, will be their standard overhaul of ~$800.

The pitch servo was in bad shape, bad armature in main motor, the tach motor was not sending proper signals back to the AP, and several caps were leaking. They will rebuild this one for $1295.

Will post again after reinstall and test flights.

Back