Automotive User Fees!

JohnR

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Grrrrrrrr
Possibly coming to New York City!

NEW YORK (AP) -- Traffic congestion and devastating pollution are among the "inconvenient truths" of our age and could be eased by imposing pay-to-drive fees on Manhattan motorists, Mayor Michael Bloomberg told a legislative panel Friday.

His remarks were greeted by a roaring ovation from supporters who included environmentalists in bright green T-shirts handing out fresh green apples before the hearing.

"This is a tax on middle-class people," said state Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, a Westchester Democrat who chairs one of the committees that held the joint hearing. "This will stop the Chevrolets from coming in, not the BMWs."
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070608/ny_traffic_fee.html?.v=1

I've never been to New York City and actions such as this does not inspire me to ever want to.

I've never been to New York City and actions such as this does not inspire me to ever want to.
I've been once (not counting the stop overs at LGA). Zero desire to return.

A more apt comparison I couldn't imagine. Except in this case, they're not hiding the fact that their real goal is to actually stop a particular method of transportation.
You could say the same about a progressive income tax.

New York really isn't so bad, so long as you just visit.

Remember- New York City didn't petition to close the Hudson River flight corridor after 9-11 and Corey Lidle. Compare this to a certain midwest city on a lake that closed an airport in the middle of the night for for fear of terrorists.

A more apt comparison I couldn't imagine. Except in this case, they're not hiding the fact that their real goal is to actually stop a particular method of transportation.

No it's not, it's to make a couple million dollars a day in revenue.

NYC is a great place for a week at a time. Really, for the proposed area, you don't want or need a car anyway, just pick up a Metro Card and take the subways and busses. You can't find a place to park your car anyway. There is no show on earth like Manhattan. I get into The City a few times a year, and always enjoy it. Hells Kitchen for lunch, where else do you get an excellent steak and pasta meal for $8....

No it's not, it's to make a couple million dollars a day in revenue.

I don't think so... Those "pay-to-drive" sorts of efforts are generally aimed at reducing traffic congestion in urban areas (i.e. limiting a mode of transportation)... The $$$ is a handy bonus.

Edit: That doesn't mean it's any less bogus, BTW.

NYC is a great place for a week at a time. Really, for the proposed area, you don't want or need a car anyway, just pick up a Metro Card and take the subways and busses. You can't find a place to park your car anyway. There is no show on earth like Manhattan.

On occasion, I've wondered what NYC would be like if it functioned like all the other cities in this country. For all practical purposes, no public transport and everyone was required to drive their own (one person per vehicle) car. I figure one 24 hour work day would shut the entire city down for two maybe three months trying to cycle everyone through and undo the mess afterward.

It's a great place to live too!
I enjoy one of the shortest commute times of anybody on this board, I have a beautiful collection of free parks to run and lift in, and I get to meet a constant variety of fascinating people. I have Little Italy nearby when I want Italian food, a wonderful Chinatown to visit, and access to some of the best museums on the planet. I tend to miss the wildlife and hiking and great things which you can do out in the country, but I know that the nature of my work requires that I be in or near a city. Most other cities in the country are much more sprawling than NY, so I can actually be far outside of the urban areas about as quickly here as I could just about anywhere else.

When we lost all the public transit during the transit strike we all just walked more. I walked the 9.5 miles to my girlfriend's apartment in Brooklyn without too much sweat. My average day involves just over a two mile walk (each way) to school, which I manage to do in just over a half hour, but I also walk extremely quickly. Between walking, and our relatively reliable (at least on the weekdays) public transit system, living in NY without a car is both doable and pretty enjoyable, neither Danos nor I own cars, and I know a few Manhattan based airplane owners who are also carless. Getting out to the airport can be a pain, although it is by no means impossible.
Walking is a much better way to commute than other cities; during my walk to school I get to interact with other human beings (I had a 15 minute conversation with a person who was wearing IAC badges and had trained with the French connection the other day) get great exercise and get to enjoy the fantastic street life that Manhattan has to offer. Try doing that while fuming in traffic alone in your car in any of the other cities in the USA.
The city is actually extremely varied, and the Hell's kitchen/Time Square/Tourist's nightmare is by far not the only thing our city has to offer. The neighborhood I live in is relatively more laid back with a nice mix of interesting restaurants and bars. There is a whole lot more to NYC than what most tourists end up visiting, and if any of the POAers come up here I strongly encourage them to send me a PM. Only seeing the tourist parts of the city is negligent, and not coming up here because you have been scared away from the stories other people have told you is downright criminal.;)

Personally, since I don't drive, I'd love to see some limit on the cars in the city. The traffic in Manhattan is awful, and the pollution which all the cars cause is pretty impressive. I'm always amazed by the amount of black dust which settles on everything in my apartment, and when you fly towards Manhattan the island seems cloaked in a layer of smoky haze.

Last edited:
My feeling is that if one chooses to drive into or around in a major city when public transportation is an option for them, they deserve the massive headache and exorbitant costs associated with doing so -- if for no other reason than the fact that it's just plain dumb.

Back