Automatic shortening of URLs?

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Wondering why the software decided to put "..." in this URL when it clearly fits just fine on my browser size?

What's it look like to everyone else?

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 16.39.20.png

Thread is:
182 E Book

No real need for it to shorten it like that. Weird.

Don't know but vBulletin does the same thing, so that's hardly new behavior here.

Don't know but vBulletin does the same thing, so that's hardly new behavior here.

Never noticed it before, but it doesn't make it any less dumb, because vB also did it.

I was mostly curious if it was a setting, since it seems to be "protecting" the right half of my monitor from being utilized. LOL

Software gets stupider by the day. It ain't just XF and vB. No worries.

I don't think it cares how big your monitor is. It just shortens any URL longer than a given threshold. The assumption is someone who is reading a post doesn't need to see all that noise. If they want to they can click on it or hover over it or whatever your browser does to show the underlying URL.

I don't think it cares how big your monitor is. It just shortens any URL longer than a given threshold. The assumption is someone who is reading a post doesn't need to see all that noise. If they want to they can click on it or hover over it or whatever your browser does to show the underlying URL.

Great way to have someone click on something unexpected or malicious, but that's true of all links these days.

Great way to have someone click on something unexpected or malicious, but that's true of all links these days.
Then you're unsafe regardless of whether the url is shortened or not. There's NEVER any guarantee that the text you see in a web browser has any relationship to the underlying URL in the link. You always need to use whatever feature your browser provides (hover over or whatever) to preview the actual link before clicking it.

Then you're unsafe regardless of whether the url is shortened or not. There's NEVER any guarantee that the text you see in a web browser has any relationship to the underlying URL in the link. You always need to use whatever feature your browser provides (hover over or whatever) to preview the actual link before clicking it.

Which part of "that's true of all links these days" was unclear? :)

Back