Auto Shops are Always Honest... Right?

Nice.

Very nice.

tell me about it. I haven't even come close to the mileage for a fuel filter change and every time I go in they want to change it - for 500 bucks! when I asked why it was so expensive they told me there were 3 clamps on it. (they must need that special Mercedes clamp remover).

I'm tempted to send them a photo of my next new car - from another dealership.

A while back there was the thread on experiences in customer service at car dealers and other shops. I had this sent to me about a TV station's investigation into the most popular oil change place around. It's shocking and sad... and criminal. :mad:

I do all my own maint work on my cars, a pain to lay in the driveway once in a while and do it, yes. But, I know my skills and know the job is done right, and all it costs me is an afternoon and parts.

I've been owning cars for 21 years now, and I can count on one hand the times I've taken cars to "professiona" mechanics. I really believe one of the best ways of ensuring a long, dependable, and low mx cost life on a vehicle is to keep it as far away as you can from "professional" mechanics.

jiffy lube always wants to know if i want to change my air filter. "its getting a little dirty" well it must be filtering then! put the damn thing back on its working.

jiffy lube always wants to know if i want to change my air filter. "its getting a little dirty" well it must be filtering then! put the damn thing back on its working.

lmfao....

BTDT and hate it when I'm the one that put the new part in just a few days previously.

I do all the maintenance I can do. Shops are for transmissions and stuff I simply don't have the tools or place to do the work myself.

Mechanics are becoming very rare. They take 3 minutes to look at systems and figure out the problem then fix it. Technicians are all over the place. They simply take a wild guess and start firing the parts cannon at things until the problem appears to go away.

I had car in at dealer for maintenance, something that was best done at factory-trained shop. While in, asked for oil change, other minor maintenance.

When they called to get the charges authorized, they indicated that I needed something like $60 for a couple of parking light bulbs and a headlight bulb (they were all working when I took it in). I asked "why". They said "burned out". I said "I don't think so, they were fine when I took it in and I will not authorize the work." When I picked up the car, the lights were still working fine, and the light sockets had no fingerprints in the grime.

After the service, they called me about a satisfaction survey. I let 'em have it.

Never went back there again, and I stopped several other folks from using the shop.

On my Mustang, the air filter canister is behind the car alarm siren so it's a pain to get the filter out. I watched as the maroon bent and squooze and tore my air filter into shreds so he could show me it was dirty.

Now I say "The air filter is fine. DO NOT touch it!" (under pain of death)

Last edited:
On my Mustang, the air filter canister is behind the car alarm siren so it's a pain to get the filter out. I watched as the maroon bent and squooze and tore my air filter into shreds so he could show me it was dirty.

Now I say "The air filter is fine. DO NOT touch it!" (under pain of death)

heck just let them shred it every time, then demand a free replacement.

tell me about it. I haven't even come close to the mileage for a fuel filter change and every time I go in they want to change it - for 500 bucks! when I asked why it was so expensive they told me there were 3 clamps on it. (they must need that special Mercedes clamp remover).

I'm tempted to send them a photo of my next new car - from another dealership.
Beth, STOP being an easy mark. They see you coming.....ROAR for a change.

I told them to pound sand - and I'm going to Beemer, not Mercedes for the next car. and I'm also not kidding about letting them know their service department influenced the decision.

I get my oil changes handled as part of mystery shopping assignments. During my last oil change the mechanic showed me my dirty air filter and suggested I replace it. I agreed because they ultimately pay for it :D

The dealer I bought my Tahoe from gives free lifetime oil changes. I know it's just to get me back in the dealership every few months but hey, free is free. I can say no to the upselling. Well last summer before vacation I bought a new set of tires. Then the next day I took it in to the dealer for an oil change. The twenty something punk told me I needed to have my tires rotated. Huh? That set me off. I told the punk he was an idiot and that the tires were less than 24 hours old (still had the blue on the white letters). The punk couldn't admit that he had been busted so he tried to cover by saying that they tire dealer must have sold me used tires. I left with my car and haven't been back since. I'll never buy from that dealer again.

One thing in the news report that caught my attention was the claim that this kind of thing was never caught on tape before. I remember a video documentary about 25 years ago of the traditional "wall job" tune-up that was a common practice for some shops in my area. Perhaps this was before that particular news crew was out of diapers?

Back