Auto Gas - 31.9 per Gal. [N/A]

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
Not now, but when I bought my first Harley in 1959. It was at this location: http://knox.villagesoup.com/commbriefs/story.cfm?storyID=163448

It was only 3/4 mile from my house; operated by a terrific family for 180 years and running. Now owned by the sixth generation, I've known three of them.
From when my Dad retired in 1980, until 1996 he was the official keeper of the coffee urn for the morning "Breakfast Club," a gathering of locals who'd all grown up together.

Occasionally, when artist Andrew Wyeth had completed a painting of a "local" or other well-known subject the painting would get propped up on the ice cream freezer. Yup; looks just like 'im(or her) would be the likely comments from the regulars. And in a town of 13.5 sq. miles everyone was a regular.

Once, about ten years ago an airplane landed in the field across from the store. The pilot was confused; he thought he was landing on one of the islands 30 miles away. Congratulations, John; I'll see you on July 11, early enough to claim my Dad's old parking space.

Lawreston(John's one of many "natives" who never got used to the "Jerry" person)

$31.9/gal in 1959!!! Wow that is high! I remember in the late 1960's when my dad was complaining about gas finally going over $.30/gal around us.

Bear in mind we were 7 miles from the nearest Mobil, Esso(remember that?) or Sunoco full-service gas stations. It was quite a visit for the big tanker to come to Fales Store to top the tanks with Tydol "Flying A" gasoline. And it was the only gas pump(s) in town except for the lobster boats in Pleasant Point(5 miles South) at the bottom of the town.
And the locals "bought local."

$31.9/gal in 1959!!! Wow that is high! I remember in the late 1960's when my dad was complaining about gas finally going over $.30/gal around us.

During most the 60s I was often able to buy regular for less than $0.25/gallon in my eastern suburb of Detroit due to the "gas wars" that were quite common then. This was before I was legally driving a car but I did have a boat. There was a time when my "weekly allowance" was essentially one 6 gallon tank of gas for the boat.

During most the 60s I was often able to buy regular for less than $0.25/gallon in my eastern suburb of Detroit due to the "gas wars" that were quite common then. This was before I was legally driving a car but I did have a boat. There was a time when my "weekly allowance" was essentially one 6 gallon tank of gas for the boat.
Using gas prices as the measurement for inflation this would equate to $60.48 per month allowance. Damn, I was cheated -- my allowance was $10 per month.

Back