Auto advice - Suzuki clutch

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
My son in law just got a quote for clutch work on his '96 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4... for more than he can afford right now. The last clutch I replaced was 30 years ago on a Ford F-600 ... anyone have any insight on clutch R&R on this vehicle?

My son in law just got a quote for clutch work on his '96 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4x4... for more than he can afford right now. The last clutch I replaced was 30 years ago on a Ford F-600 ... anyone have any insight on clutch R&R on this vehicle?

Greg, I worked for Suzuki as a District Service and Parts Manager for about 2.5 years (just left 11/06). I'll check my books this evening and get you close.
Stay tuned.

Thanks - much appreciated. It's a 96 Grand Vitara 4x4. Not sure which engine, but I'm thinking the clutch should be same/similar regardless of SOHC or DOHC engines?

Thanks - much appreciated. It's a 96 Grand Vitara 4x4. Not sure which engine, but I'm thinking the clutch should be same/similar regardless of SOHC or DOHC engines?

Are you looking for the fair market price for the job or procedure for R&R?

4x4... two shafts, tranfer case, tranny, flywheel machining... $650 + clutch & pressure plate if you take it to an independent shop, $900+ at the dealer. probably under $300 total if he does it himself. It's not a difficult job, just some wrench turning. Just remember to get a pilot shaft for aligning the clutch disc when you bolt down the pressure plate. Might want to get throwout bearing as well. If he's really low on cash, just replace the clutch disc and leave the flywheel and pressure plate alone or take a disck sander to them lightly and evenly. Probably get done for under $100.

Last edited:
Independent shop quoted $900, includes 5 hrs labor.

First, yeah fair market eval. Second, since he can't afford near that, general R&R procedures - especially if there's anything way out of the ordinary or special tools required.... if doable by a fair backyard mech, then I'll have him go buy a good manual and we'll take it on ourselves.

re: parts - I found clutch kits on line for $150-$250...

I see Henning just ran thru the general stuff above...

Thanks!

Independent shop quoted $900, includes 5 hrs labor.

First, yeah fair market eval. Second, since he can't afford near that, general R&R procedures - especially if there's anything way out of the ordinary or special tools required.... if doable by a fair backyard mech, then I'll have him go buy a good manual and we'll take it on ourselves.

re: parts - I found clutch kits on line for $150-$250...

I see Henning just ran thru the general stuff above...

Thanks!
Shouldn't run into any specialty tools except the pilot shaft and they're just a few bucks. Should take you both a day, maybe a weekend if you have to run for a tool. Have plenty of extensions and a swivel.

Since I know nothing about Suzukis - is this a transverse/transaxle front wheel drive + 4x4, or standard for 'n aft engine, bellhousing, tranny, xfr case arrangement?

Since I know nothing about Suzukis - is this a transverse/transaxle front wheel drive + 4x4, or standard for 'n aft engine, bellhousing, tranny, xfr case arrangement?

Haven't looked at one, suspect standard arrangement, either way is simple, just turning wrenches, nothing critical.

Standard north/south configuration in all the SUV's. One thing to keep in mind, if you pull the transmission and transfer case as an assembly (and I do recommend doing it this way), the unit is VERY heavy and bulky so be careful.

thanks - and roger that! got the floor jack and straps ... pulled a few truck trannies so I understand there's heavy and there's OH S**T HEAVY ... which is usually realized too late to do anything other than grunt it out...

Back