Autism and Employment

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Hello all. I am wondering if people on the autism spectrum are able to find a real job, that is a job that pays well enough for the person to live on their own from their parents? I always wonder if they are able to do jobs that normal people could do?

I Googled some typical jobs that are suitable for people with autism and while just a few are professional jobs like computer programmer, others are more on the low-end like janitor, retail, etc. I always wish that they could live a life of prosperity and happiness and not be working a low-paying or minimum wage job for most of their lives.

Yes, they can.

I believe that some can and some may not be able to. Autism isn't a one size fits all condition. I have a friend that has a 16 year old Autistic son, that is pretty high functioning in many areas. Another friend with a son about 19 that is non-verbal and is much less functional. A lot depends on the individual and how their condition is managed, therapy etc.

Hello all. I am wondering if people on the autism spectrum are able to find a real job, that is a job that pays well enough for the person to live on their own from their parents? I always wonder if they are able to do jobs that normal people could do?

I Googled some typical jobs that are suitable for people with autism and while just a few are professional jobs like computer programmer, others are more on the low-end like janitor, retail, etc. I always wish that they could live a life of prosperity and happiness and not be working a low-paying or minimum wage job for most of their lives.

I suppose it's a matter of the type and severity of the autism and, just as importantly, whether or not the person was raised in a context that assumed that some day he or she would be expected to make a living.

I've known several people with autistic children very well, and only one seemed to be preparing their child for a life of dependency. That child is now an adult, and not surprisingly, is still dependent on his parents (as well as an alphabet soup of government agencies).

The irony is that he's actually very intelligent and is very high-functioning within his areas of interest. I think he could make a living in any of them, especially music. He's a very talented sound engineer with a good ear and mastery of whatever software it is that sound engineers use. That software was provided free from the publisher, however, at the request of his mother (who told them she thought it would be "therapeutic" for him); and although he's frequently asked to run the sound at volunteer events, his mother and father forbid him from taking it up as an occupation.

I asked about it once, and his mom told me it was because he becomes fixated on that one task and ignores pretty much everything else that goes on around him when he's running the board. But that describes most people I know who work in that field (as well as more than a few computer geeks I've worked with). I used to work at a TV station, and pretty much everyone in the control booth fit that description -- and no one cared. As long as they did whatever their jobs were proficiently, no one gave a rat's about anything else.

I think it comes down to defining a person by their their "disorder" rather than accepting them for themselves, and then encouraging them to find meaningful work within their own set of abilities and talents.

Rich

Depends on the degree. But the real problem often isn't doing the job, it's getting the job. I see students that have very strong technical skills and a good work ethic, but they don't interview for ****.

Depends on the degree. But the real problem often isn't doing the job, it's getting the job. I see students that have very strong technical skills and a good work ethic, but they don't interview for ****.

Yeah I agree that job interviews are difficult for those on the spectrum. For most people, interviews are quite challenging but for someone on the autism spectrum, it can be almost impossible to pass the interview and get the job. It's like we are at a disadvantage. For someone on the spectrum, it's like walking through a minefield on watching what you are going to say and the way you behave and interpret the questions.

Last edited:
Depends on where on the spectrum you are I would suppose. I certainly know of plenty of aspies with perfectly valid job (and suspect a lot of the computer industry is full of undiagnosed ones).

Screw the interview and find a way to demonstrate your value to the organization.

Show them what you can do.

It may require a creative, untested, novel approach and a good personal connection or two, but it absolutely can be done.
You can write your own ticket, creating a role that's uniquely suited to your skills and style.

Of course, this isn't the way things are normally done. And, if you're aspiring to normalcy - to be like everyone else - it probably won't work for you.

As others have said, I think it depends on the individual.

My oldest was diagnosed with PDD-NOS at age 5, we are lucky he is very high functioning. He carries A's and B's in High School. His problems are in the social skills area, he has a hard time with social situations. He cannot handle being bored and is pretty lazy. Since he is my 1st, I am not sure if the laziness is typical of 14 yr olds or it is a symptom of his Autism.

We have always tried to treat him as normal, and expect him to goto college, drive, get a job, etc.

You have to teach them to cope. The world is not going to change to suit them.

It is hard.

Flav

Back