Aunt Bee solos

Carol

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Carol
In the final season of the Andy Griffith show (1968) Aunt Bee decides she wants to learn how to fly an airplane. It's a pretty good episode, first aired on 2/12/68. "Aunt Bee's Big Moment."

I've lost my copy of the episode and have been surfing around to try and find it. In the process I found out that it is airing on TVLand on May 25 at 6:00 here. Check your local listings.

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/sea...rt=chronological&cat=&episode=&showBest=false

Carol said:
In the final season of the Andy Griffith show (1968) Aunt Bee decides she wants to learn how to fly an airplane. It's a pretty good episode, first aired on 2/12/68. "Aunt Bee's Big Moment."

I've lost my copy of the episode and have been surfing around to try and find it. In the process I found out that it is airing on TVLand on May 25 at 6:00 here. Check your local listings.
Oh Carol! I'm glad you found that. I saw it a long time ago and wished I had a copy of it.

Carol said:

http://entertainment.msn.com/tv/sea...rt=chronological&cat=&episode=&showBest=false

Very Cool! Thanks Carol!

Now this is one reason I REALLY like Tivo. Find an interesting post on POA about a TV show, Log on to Tivo Central Online, a few mouse clicks..and presto! my Tivo is set to record Aunt Bee soloing. Isn't modern technology wonderful? :yes:

Watched it last night (Yay, Tivo).

I'm surprised at how technically accurate it was. The landings and takeoffs started poor and got better. Bea's "chair flying" sounded correct to me. I wonder if she actually flew or was just coached.

At any rate, I decided to snag the tail number and see if the plane is still flying. Apparently, it is!

N5955B is Assigned

Assigned/Registered Aircraft
Aircraft Description

Serial Number 33955 Type Registration Co-Owner
Manufacturer Name CESSNA Certificate Issue Date 07/27/1998
Model 182A Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 51731403
MFR Year 1956 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

Name HAYES WILLIAM MICHAEL
Street 2168 WELLINGTON AVE
City SANTA ANA State CALIFORNIA Zip Code 92701-3184
County ORANGE
Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer CONT MOTOR Classification Standard
Engine Model O-470 SERIES Category
A/W Date 12/11/1956

Other Owner Names

WINOVICH JOHN MICHAEL

Temporary Certificate
None

Fuel Modifications
None

MSmith said:
Watched it last night (Yay, Tivo)......

I thought they did a good job too. I recorded it. I'll get it to DVD before I lose this copy :)

Carol said:
I thought they did a good job too. I recorded it. I'll get it to DVD before I lose this copy :)
Carol, I forgot to tape it. :(

Can I watch your copy?

MSmith said:
At any rate, I decided to snag the tail number and see if the plane is still flying. Apparently, it is!

N5955B is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 33955 Type Registration Co-Owner
Manufacturer Name CESSNA Certificate Issue Date 07/27/1998
Hmmmm. When did you say that episode was taped?

gibbons said:
Hmmmm. When did you say that episode was taped?

but it was

MFR Year 1956 Fractional Owner NO

when did the show come out? did she really learn to fly?

Missed it while flying.

My life is so incomplete...

TKS anyway, Carol !

gibbons said:
You're right. I didn't see that. So what is the "certificate issue" date?

My guess is that'd be when it was registered to a new owner (I found this for example, does my theory hold water? BTW, the Citabria is coming up under I assume the last owner ;) )

N69LW is Assigned​

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 038 Type Registration IndividualManufacturer NameEXTRA FLUGZEUGBAU GMBH Certificate Issue Date06/24/2004 ModelEA 300/L StatusValid Type AircraftFixed Wing Single-EngineType EngineReciprocating Pending Number ChangeNone DealerNo Date Change AuthorizedNone Mode S Code52224554 MFR Year1996 Fractional OwnerNO

woodstock said:

when did the show come out? did she really learn to fly?

1968. I would highly doubt it from the profile we received at SC ETV on the event of Frances Bavier's death.

T Bone said:
My guess is that'd be when it was registered to a new owner (I found this for example, does my theory hold water? BTW, the Citabria is coming up under I assume the last owner ;) )

N69LW is Assigned​

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 038 Type Registration IndividualManufacturer NameEXTRA FLUGZEUGBAU GMBH Certificate Issue Date06/24/2004 ModelEA 300/L StatusValid Type AircraftFixed Wing Single-EngineType EngineReciprocating Pending Number ChangeNone DealerNo Date Change AuthorizedNone Mode S Code52224554 MFR Year1996 Fractional OwnerNO
Interesting story there. When we did a pre-buy on the Extra my mechanic discovered that the Airworthiness Certificate listed only "Normal" category, not "Aerobatic". We got the FAA to issue a new certificate for the airplane including the aerobatic category - in June of 2004. So is this the date of my registration of the aircraft, or of the new certificate? If it's the new certificate, then I wonder what's up with Bea's airplane?

gibbons said:
Interesting story there. When we did a pre-buy on the Extra my mechanic discovered that the Airworthiness Certificate listed only "Normal" category, not "Aerobatic". We got the FAA to issue a new certificate for the airplane including the aerobatic category - in June of 2004. So is this the date of my registration of the aircraft, or of the new certificate? If it's the new certificate, then I wonder what's up with Bea's airplane?

Hmm... Well, you've got my curiosity going then. I'm guessing you bought the Bonanza New? Listed for it under "Certificate Issue Date" is "none". Let me try something different....Yep, just went through my log book. All 6 152's and the 172 I've flown from the FBO @ 1D2 come up from 1986 to 2001 as issued certs. Further, the airplane I did my two discovery flights in (a 172R, N920TA) came up as issued in 2004. I happen to know that plane was sold last year.

MSmith said:

I'm surprised at how technically accurate it was. The landings and takeoffs started poor and got better. Bea's "chair flying" sounded correct to me. I wonder if she actually flew or was just coached.

None

According to a couple of Andy Griffith show documentaries I've seen, She was a licensed pilot.

I've not been able to find anything online because unfortuantly the tv industry uses "pilot" episodes. :dunno:

But I'm pretty sure she was.

Last edited:
MSmith said:

N5955B is Assigned

That's too funny, I used to fly and maintain that plane. It's an old 182, used to be orange white and black and was in near immaculate condition.

Carol said:
1968. I would highly doubt it from the profile we received at SC ETV on the event of Frances Bavier's death.

"Aunt Bee's Big Moment" originally aired February 12, 1968. It was episode number 242 of the 249 (including the final episode which was actually the pilot for Mayberry RFD, but not including the Danny Thomas Show episode that served as the Andy Griffith Show pilot in 1960.

Please don't ask how, or more importantly why, I would know that.

Henning said:
N5955B is Assigned

That's too funny, I used to fly and maintain that plane. It's an old 182, used to be orange white and black and was in near immaculate condition.

The Legend Continues, Henning, there truly isn't anything that you haven't done :)

Dave

Dave Theisen said:
The Legend Continues, Henning, there truly isn't anything that you haven't done :)

Dave

Seeing that call sign was weird, all of a sudden a bunch of fun memories came up. You really remember the nice planes that you flew, and especially the ones you worked on. It was the kind of plane that you took the extra little time and effort to make sure the job was not just right, but that it was the best you could do and looked good as well. The old guy that owned it 20 years ago was a real good guy and IIRC was a retired airline pilot (back in the day when an A Scale pension drew over $150k), I know he was a QB (interesting group of charachters, you think I have some flying stories.... Some of these guys were my instructors. They would hold meetings (and memorials:( ) in the shop hangar where I worked. That was the guy who taught me how to do an Extremely short field TO by popping it off the ground with a yank of the flaps at just the right speed by feeling the plane just barely flying, accellerating and weening out the flaps in ground effect while smoothly transitioning into a Vx climb. I've cleared many a fence in a Pawnee using that method.

Re: Aunt Bee solos (ON TONIGHT 3-16-2009)

This episode is on TV Land tonight, 8:30 ET/7:30 CT, during the marathon they are running. All set to record! I've only ever seen this once before, have been watching for it to come around again, and just stumbled on it a moment ago.

I've seen that a few times thru the years. Was a cool episode. And that
was back before I even thought about flying. But always watched that
show.

I like the way that Aunt Bee is taking lessons locally (one presumes), and the local field is a very busy one, with California-looking mountains in the background.

"Aunt Bee's Big Moment" originally aired February 12, 1968. It was episode number 242 of the 249 (including the final episode which was actually the pilot for Mayberry RFD, but not including the Danny Thomas Show episode that served as the Andy Griffith Show pilot in 1960.

Please don't ask how, or more importantly why, I would know that.

I trust you got the title right. :D

I just set a TiVo Wishlist search to auto-record it.

OK - OLD OLD thread! But for the record the full episode of Aunt Bee learning how to fly (to solo, anyway) is available (in two parts) on Youtube, for those who are interested (I enjoyed it, but then I'm easily amused):

How nostalgic. GA presented in a favorable light, part of a major television show and undertaken by a major character. These days the only place you see it is in those "look at those freaks making a living doing those amazingly dangerous Alaskan things" reality shows.

The saddest part is the aircraft they were flying in that very old TV show are the aircraft we're flying today.

How nostalgic. GA presented in a favorable light, part of a major television show and undertaken by a major character. These days the only place you see it is in those "look at those freaks making a living doing those amazingly dangerous Alaskan things" reality shows
I'm not sure that has anything to do with aviation. Andy's family would be seen as boring today and would not garner ratings. Instead we have the Kardashians.

What an old thread, Carol hasn't been here in a long time! thanks for the note about utube I'm going to watch it....:D

Nothing to see here, folks. Keep moving . . . Keep moving. :skeptical:

I'm proud to say that although I've heard the name, I've never seen any of the shows about the Kardashians, don't know what they look like or do, and don't care.

I think I'll go fly...

OK - OLD OLD thread! But for the record the full episode of Aunt Bee learning how to fly (to solo, anyway) is available (in two parts) on Youtube...SNIP....
I recognized that look on Aunt Bea. excitement, apprehension, anxiety, hell, scared silly. "I'm not ready!" hesitation at takeoff. I think they caught all that pretty well.
5955B is still a Cessna but an almost new one (1998).
Where in Ca was that? Orange County?

I trust you got the title right. :D

I just set a TiVo Wishlist search to auto-record it.

The Wishlist worked. I've had the copy for a few years.

Notice how they removed the door on the Cessna to shoot Aunt Bea at the controls. You ain't supposed to see the weatherstripping from the outside.

I awoke in the middle of the night, last night. The TV was on, and that episode was just beginning... I watched it, then backed it up, and I watched it, again... Like Mikea I noticed that the door had been removed, and in another scene, when she's supposed to be taking off, the flaps were extended. Otherwise, it was pretty accurate as far as I could tell. As others have noted, aside from the straight tail, the "funky" artificial horizon in the panel, and the lack of "Omnivision", it's essentially what's being sold by Cessna today... and, it's a far cry from my DA40.

Back