Attachments

• IMG_2455.JPG
    IMG_2455.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 111
  • image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
Last edited:
I wouldn't know where to direct you for an accident plane. Many planes survive off field landings or runway incursions and such. Fortunately, the types of accidents you are depicting are pretty rare. You would have better luck using one of the many derelict planes found at just about any airport. Some might have some damage.

I wouldn't know where to direct you for an accident plane. Many planes survive off field landings or runway incursions and such. Fortunately, the types of accidents you are depicting are pretty rare. You would have better luck using one of the many derelict planes found at just about any airport. Some might have some damage.

Thank you John. I am worried about the pricing of derelict airplanes being a bit steep: from my understanding the aviation prop industry is quite alive.

And before you guys start hollerin' "TROLL!!!!", This gentleman called me because he saw on PoA that I was in the salvage biz. It was my suggestion he access the group memory and recommendations by posting on our forums to find the raw materials he desires.

Thank you John. I am worried about the pricing of derelict airplanes being a bit steep: from my understanding the aviation prop industry is quite alive.
The derelict aircraft might be cheaper than you think. Contact airport management. They might be happy to have them removed from the field.

The derelict aircraft might be cheaper than you think. Contact airport management. They might be happy to have them removed from the field.

Do you have a particular airport in mind? I am on the East Coast--I have not seen too many abandoned aircraft near my local airfields. Thank you

And before you guys start hollerin' "TROLL!!!!", This gentleman called me because he saw on PoA that I was in the salvage biz. It was my suggestion he access the group memory and recommendations by posting on our forums to find the raw materials he desires.
Thank you again, Mike! Super generous with your time and advice. Much appreciated.

Do you have a particular airport in mind? I am on the East Coast--I have not seen too many abandoned aircraft near my local airfields. Thank you
I am on the West Coast. My local field cleaned them up a couple of years ago (I don't know what they did with them), but at many of the other local airports they are sitting there. Some of the other members might be able to point you to a field, if you share a more specific region/city. Small airports are plentiful throughout the country. Get in your car and do some drive by's. You will see the neglected planes sitting on the ramp with flat tires (or no tires). Maybe missing a prop or an engine. It is a sad sight to us pilots.

Mike,

Assuming his intentions are honorable I will cut him some slack but there are so many ghouls out there who thrive on providing nothing more than sensationalism please forgive me for being skeptical.

I prefer to think my time spent as an A&P/IA was well spent in giving my customers the best I could offer while still holding in regard respect for their lives. My work depended on it and I gave my best. Accidents in which people are hurt are not something I wish to read about. He can look up accidents on his own time. There are plenty of references on the net.

Mike,

Assuming his intentions are honorable I will cut him some slack but there are so many ghouls out there who thrive on providing nothing more than sensationalism please forgive me for being skeptical.

I prefer to think my time spent as an A&P/IA was well spent in giving my customers the best I could offer while still holding in regard respect for their lives. My work depended on it and I gave my best. Accidents in which people are hurt are not something I wish to read about. He can look up accidents on his own time. There are plenty of references on the net.

Hi Norm,
Thank you for your concern. As I mention in my post, I am not interested in abusing information about accident victims. Accident information is of no interest to me. My work explores crumpled forms. I am interested in the shape of metal. Not bodies. Additionally, one photo I include shows a very alive pilot next to his plane. The plane burned in his hangar. I am not asking specifically for fatal accident aircraft.

I hope that helps clarify my intentions.

Ya know... I don't know what your process is, but maybe buy / borrow a hand held 3D scanner and just go scan some wrecks. Clean up the scans, do your artist thing to the mesh, then 3D print masters that you can pull a mold from. No actual wreck purchase required.

How to make art of wrecked airplanes without appearing to glorify general aviation unpleasantness? This concerns me.

Going out on a limb here but I’d think there is no shortage of crumpled air planes around Florida and Houston that have no human tragedies attached after the recent hurricane season. I know there are plenty in PR but it might be tricky getting to those.

How to make art of wrecked airplanes without appearing to glorify general aviation unpleasantness? This concerns me.

Not defending the guy, but a wreck on a stick as you walk out onto the ramp might encourage some sober ADM.

Also, I can sort of see an image like the vietnam memorial one, where the guy's leaning on the black stone and his buddies are in the reflection looking back...

Every wreck that hurt / killed someone affected a bunch of other people connected to the directly injured. Their ghosts surround the wreck. I don't want to get weird, here, but it's easy to forget that something like that hurts a lot more people than the physics would indicate. If the art somehow reflects that...

For those interested, plenty of salvage yards in the United State sell and even rent wrecked airplanes - parts - burned pieces for movie sets.
"What is appropriate art?" is a subjective question, but if you think the appropriation of crash imagery is being pioneered by my work, I would encourage you to apply your criticisms to the film industry as well.

Could you "borrow" or rent a wreck? Provide a security deposit to the owner? Or work at their location doing your forms on location?

No problem there. The film industry pretty much disgusts me.

I respect your opinion. It is also an incredibly important employer to many Americans. Film is also a massive cultural export.

The other thing you can check out is decommissioned military base boneyards, which may have a stock of crumpled or dismantled airframes, which could possibly be had for free.

Google "aircraft recovery services"....

These businesses recover aircraft wrecks for the NTSB and insurance companies.

To the OP-

I would suggest posting some pictures of your past work so as to put some folk's minds here at ease. I personally think I understand exactly what you're looking for and why, so I would love to see what you do.

Unfortunately for you, the final resting place of pretty much all twisted wrecks is at the salvage yards. Once a plane crashes, or gets wrecked on the ground, it usually then belongs to the insurance agency. It then goes to a storage facility and later auctioned off. You can bid on these wrecks yourself, but be prepared to pay their actual salvage value. Most all end up in a salvage yard.

The suggestion here to go after hurricane victims is a good one. There may be some wrecked planes out there that were basically abandoned by their owners prior to the hurricane and then the hurricane finished them off. Almost certainly these planes will have no insurance and so no insurance company to deal with. Because of their derelict status, the salvage companies won't be very interested because there is a glut of abandoned airplanes and many of the parts are of little value due to neglect in the elements.

Because airplanes are federally registered, I guess it's a bit of a process before an airport can sell you an abandoned airplane, but they will be very motivated to sweep out the trash. I would contact all the airports in the continental US that were effected by the hurricanes directly and see what they have.

Other than that, I would suggest going in person to one of the bigger aircraft salvage operations and speaking to them directly. Give them a sales pitch as to why they should take you seriously. Investigate exactly why they are concerned about selling the useless left overs to you. There is likely a way to set their minds at ease and get what you want.

Very interesting discussion. I, too, would like to see some of your work.
And while it's clear on the other side of the country, Chino, CA has a number of derelict, and often rare, aircraft. I found it very sad, but can share some pictures if you'd like. Not crash damaged, mostly abandoned.

I don't know the owner or who to contact, but there's a bonanza with trees growing out of it sitting at New Haven (Tweed) airport on the General Aviation side. Also look into experimental aircraft. They usually sell pretty cheap when partially completed.

Finding an augured-in wreck with no fatalities is going to be a needle in a haystack for GA birds. Unless they were able to bail out with a parachute, chances are you'd be power-washing the remnants of the occupants out of your "artwork".

I don't know the owner or who to contact, but there's a bonanza with trees growing out of it sitting at New Haven (Tweed) airport on the General Aviation side. Also look into experimental aircraft. They usually sell pretty cheap when partially completed.

Experimental aircraft - very good idea. Partially completed either fiberglass or fabric covered planes are terrific.

Combining the suggestions above, grab derelict and forgotten plane from a nearby airport, take it to a field of your choosing with a cherry picker, drop it from height. Repeat as necessary to get the crumpling you want. No humans harmed in the making of the art.

Finding an augured-in wreck with no fatalities is going to be a needle in a haystack for GA birds. Unless they were able to bail out with a parachute, chances are you'd be power-washing the remnants of the occupants out of your "artwork".
Depends on how badly wrecked he's talking about. Older airplanes with a gear up or prop strike are often "totalled".

Depends on how badly wrecked he's talking about. Older airplanes with a gear up or prop strike are often "totalled".

That’s not quite what I consider to be “augured-in”. It sounded like he was looking for aircraft that suffered a low altitude stall and nosed in pretty hard. Gear ups generallydont look terrible other than the bottom skin and prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back