Aug 18-19, 2012 - POA fly-in Shelter Cove

Re: July or Aug 2012 - POA fly-in Shelter Cove

If you are still talking Shelter Cove, it is indeed small enough that you don't need a car. And I doubt you will be able to secure a loaner or a rental.

See above, they said I can use their van.

I like to hike, as well and the coast is right there. Apparently there is golf, for those that golf. It doesn't sound like we will need to drive anywhere. There is only so much activity you can cram into a couple of days.

Kimberly, I am not sure what kind of fishing you are preparing for. If it surf fishing, you need a pretty big pole. Salmon fishing off the coast, you probably need to charter a boat anyways and they probably provide gear. It looks like Garberville has fuel.

Nope, it says on the Shelter Cove website that for a few months you can fish from shore. Only through August. The BF is salmon fishing tonight / tomorrow (in a boat). It will be his first unchartered trip, his friend just bought an ocean worthy boat.

Oh and he just pulled that whole "well if nothing else comes up" BS. I told him this is serious, and I need to commit. I'm definitely not camping alone, but I'd stay in a hotel alone. So now it might be just me since apparently I can't tie him down to a weekend so far in advance. Sheesh.
Seems like if we even think about bringing the poles I should rent the 172.

Don't want to be poked in the eye the entire flight in the 150. I will ask tomorrow about the "rules" for me hogging the plane all weekend. And even if I don't have fishing poles, Sac's point is valid - I won't save any money in the 150 if I have to stop to refuel.

Last edited:

Nope, it says on the Shelter Cove website that for a few months you can fish from shore. Only through August. The BF is salmon fishing tonight / tomorrow (in a boat). It will be his first unchartered trip, his friend just bought an ocean worthy boat.

Seems like if we even think about bringing the poles I should rent the 172. Don't want to be poked in the eye the entire flight in the 150. I will ask tomorrow about the "rules" for me hogging the plane all weekend.

Shore fishing in the ocean, as far as I know, is still called surf fishing. My parents did it when I was growing up in O.C. and the poles were huge (15' to 18'), so you could cast past the break. You also used a lot of weight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_fishing Some of them may break down small enough, though.

Shore fishing in the ocean, as far as I know, is still called surf fishing. My parents did it when I was growing up in O.C. and the poles were huge (15' to 18'), so you could cast past the break. You also used a lot of weight. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surf_fishing Some of them may break down small enough, though.

I shore fished off a cliff two weekends or so ago (they caught several fish but I suck at casting). Yes the poles are big, not sure how big. Yes, we used weight and with salmon the weights are bigger. I will have time tonight or tomorrow, before I go to the airport, to measure the pole. I will then (tomorrow) measure the inside of the 172. I talked to the owner and he waived the minimums for me so I'm set to go. I have a BBQ one weekend in August but that's all. I will check the planes schedule tomorrow while I am at the flight school and make the decision, it is looking like I should take the 172 no matter what.

I found a possible alternate, or maybe a destination for a different flyin. Happy Camp 36S is right on the Klamath River and has rafting, fishing and hiking. The Klamath River Resort Inn says they offer shuttle service on their website http://www.klamathriverresortinn.com/Hikinginhappycamp.htm. Anyone have any PIREPs on this place?

Truly way out in the sticks, and that region has weather issues of it's own. I flew in there once for a work reason, just for the day so I don't know about the accommodations or other stuff to do but it looked pretty dire to me.

It's 200+ NM from the Sacramento/Bay region plus tack on 20 -30 more for terrain avoidance, so some people will have to plan on a fuel stop as there are no services.

The fuel thing would probably require a stop somewhere (maybe Redding). There is stuff to do there, though.

Truly way out in the sticks, and that region has weather issues of it's own. I flew in there once for a work reason, just for the day so I don't know about the accommodations or other stuff to do but it looked pretty dire to me.

It's 200+ NM from the Sacramento/Bay region plus tack on 20 -30 more for terrain avoidance, so some people will have to plan on a fuel stop as there are no services.

That is nice to know, thank you.

Climate and terrain possibilities seem to me to break the choices down into coastal, coastal mountains, central valley, and Sierra Nevada range classes.

All the coastal choices are likely to suffer from the fog issue. And as far as I can see, among the coastal choices, Shelter Cove is still a decent destination in itself, with the meeting of other PoA members a nice bonus (or vice versa, depending on one's preferences.)

I don't know much about the choices in the coastal range; Happy Camp would actually be closer to me and I wouldn't need a fuel stop.

The central valley choices seem to be many, but none seem to stand out as interesting destinations (at least to me.)

I just don't know much about Sierra Nevada destinations that are within, say, 250 nm of my home field of 77S. Rogers (o05) looks like one possibility, as does Fall River Mills (o89).

So I'm open to alternates if there are concerns about Shelter Cove.

I am not trying to divert from Shelter Cove. I saw a write up in a California camping book on Happy Camp, talking about the rafting there and then I saw it had an airport, when I looked it up on a map. It is somewhere I will probably try someday, as it looks interesting to me. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. My plane looks like it could do the round trip and just have an hours reserve.

My first choice of "go to" destinations are coastal, primarily, because I like the coast. Second would be Sierra Nevada mountain destinations for the scenery. Although there are numerous central valley airports, there are very few if any that I'd go to for fun.

Happy camp is a great little town, some of the most scenic country in the world. Land to the west take off to the east. Shelter cove is cool but flip a coin on the weather hard to plan a one day flight, let a lone overnighter. Just say'n.

So you are saying you can't do a weekend, even that weekend?

Yes. sorry, wish I could make it. That weekend I'll be in SoCal. Can't be in two places at the same time. And, I don't think I can extend the trip to include either the weekend before nor after. Oh well, maybe another time.

Due to the big airshow here (Wings Over Wine Country), I have selected a date and reserved my plane.

The weekend is (drumroll please):

Saturday, August 18 and Sunday, August 19

A friend of mine, who works at the airport, will fly his Piper to join us!

Now I can begin the planning. Stay tuned, within the next few days, I'll call the local businesses etc. and get more information. I will also plan a SOLID backup weekend in case there is fog. The hotels (at least one of them) in Shelter Cove will let pilots cancel their reservation last minute due to weather.

I'm so excited. I'm going to call a dog sitter - though I like dogs (we have two), sometimes on my vacation I like to not have to worry about them. Mine barks and can't be left at the hotel.

There is still a possibility we will camp, too.

1) Most fishing poles collapse in to two or more parts and should fit in a 150

2) Back up weekends are tough. Its like setting up two different flyins. Most people can reserve one but not two weekends.

3) You need to have the attitude that if 50 people or 5 people show up it will be a good time.

Just plan it have it and whoever shows will have a good time.

There is a possibility the We may be in the neighborhood during that time.

Doing a little busman's holiday in Oakland, time to be announced.

By the way, now that I have a date, I want to say that I am going no matter what. Once I come up with an alternate, I will also arrange some food and/or beverages (depending on how many we are expecting) so that we can have a "party" to meet one another. Depending on whether or not people are staying the night, my guess is that I should host this on the Saturday - late lunchtime - or on the Sunday - or both.

1) Most fishing poles collapse in to two or more parts and should fit in a 150

2) Back up weekends are tough. Its like setting up two different flyins. Most people can reserve one but not two weekends.

3) You need to have the attitude that if 50 people or 5 people show up it will be a good time.

Just plan it have it and whoever shows will have a good time.

Adam,

The backup was the PLACE not the weekend. I have set the date for August 18 / August 19.

Now I guess I should change the name of the thread (can you help)?

I will be somewhere, hopefully Shelter Cove, on those two days.

Even if I go by myself, I will still go, and still have a great time.

Kimberly

There is a possibility the We may be in the neighborhood during that time.

Doing a little busman's holiday in Oakland, time to be announced.

Cool, I am so glad I decided on a weekend this far out! Maybe that will give more people enough time to plan to join us. I have posted on the blue board, red board, and purple board. Now I think I'll add my "meetup" site, and Facebook. Should be fun.

Gosh I guess I need to start that list thing with name / number of people / tail number.

I will start:

Kimberly - Cessna 172 (1980) Navy Blue / White - Tail Number 1596E

Right now, planning on just Kimberly and Owen (BF). Probably have room for one more person in my plane, but not sure, if we bring gear etc maybe not. I will be there Saturday (as early as weather allows me to arrive) through Sunday (whenever weather tells me to depart). Ideally, Saturday morning through Sunday late afternoon / dinner.

Piper (airport friend) - White with blue and red striping - tail number (not sure how many my friend is bringing or which of the two days he will join us)

Last edited:
Jim Logajan - Cessna 172, tail number to be determined. Probably two people - wife is still considering it. (She generally prefers to take Dramamine to reduce possibility of motion sickness, but side effects tend to be annoying, hence the indecision.)

We'll be packing light - just one or two overnight bags. We'll stay at one of the hotels; no camping for us.

My guess is we'll need to wait and arrive in the afternoon, drop the bags off at the hotel if we arrive sooner than check-in time, then wander or hike or try to meet up with others. Then next day check out and leave when any fog lifts (which might not happen till afternoon.) If weathered in, we'll just have to stay another day. Hopefully not more than that!

Last edited:

The backup was the PLACE not the weekend. I have set the date for August 18 / August 19.

What backup location are you planning?

Also, I'm wondering if, on that Saturday morning, someone should call one of the eating places and try to reserve enough seats for all the expected people for a Saturday evening meal together?

What backup location are you planning?

Also, I'm wondering if, on that Saturday morning, someone should call one of the eating places and try to reserve enough seats for all the expected people for a Saturday evening meal together?

I'm planning to do more than that. I have been advised I should call the local restaurants in advance, just to know which are open. Some are only certain days / times - and I think there are less than 5 total in the area. I will be calling the airport manager (just to ask questions), and all the local hotels (again, questions, and to find out how many rooms they have left). Make sure you mention you are a pilot when you book and make sure they know we could cancel the day of and go to our alternate location.

I'm going to explore a place that has rental car access as the backup, so I can help coordinate and shuttle pilots. Someone said Columbia won't be fogged in when Shelter Cove is, and they have cars, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Thank you Adam for changing the name of my thread to include the date!

Since it is more than a month from now, I'm hoping that will give people enough time to save the weekend and join us.

Note: I have edited a lot of my posts from the beginning when we didn't have a date. Now all I need to do is research an alternate. I should decide that by the end of this week or next.

I'm planning to do more than that. I have been advised I should call the local restaurants in advance, just to know which are open. Some are only certain days / times - and I think there are less than 5 total in the area. I will be calling the airport manager (just to ask questions), and all the local hotels (again, questions, and to find out how many rooms they have left). Make sure you mention you are a pilot when you book and make sure they know we could cancel the day of and go to our alternate location.

I'm going to explore a place that has rental car access as the backup, so I can help coordinate and shuttle pilots. Someone said Columbia won't be fogged in when Shelter Cove is, and they have cars, but I'm not sure beyond that.

Columbia, as in O22? Everything there is within walking distance, you don't need a car. Cool little town.

Columbia, as in O22? Everything there is within walking distance, you don't need a car. Cool little town.

Alas it is too far away to serve as an alternate for me, though definitely looks like a good alternate for others.

We had planned a trip to Shelter Cove with another couple back in 2007 or so. Something derailed the plans but I've always wanted to make it there. Won't be making it to OSH this year..........hmmmmmmmm.

Alas it is too far away to serve as an alternate for me, though definitely looks like a good alternate for others.

Don't worry, I'm going to sit down and really research my options. Where are you flying out of?

Creswell, Oregon (77S)

OK - I will check out the distances. Our friend from this thread replied to me that he might come out to my lunch fly-in tomorrow at O69 if he is around. We can discuss alternates since it was the three of us that made me start this thread.

This is about the same distance as Shelter Cove (Another possible alternate)

Ruth, Ruth Lake (T42)

Ruth offers groceries, gas, propane, camping, lodging, restaurants and a full-service marina on beautiful Ruth Lake. The Ruth Airport accommodates small planes, and nearby resorts offer shuttle service to area resorts and marinas. A full-service resort is located within walking distance of the airport. Ruth Lake is noted for fishing, waterskiing and sailing.

Ruth lake looks like a cool spot. The map says 8.1 mi to the airport From lake.www.tcpilots.org website shows that trinity center has a KOA next to airport and says new for 2012 free shuttle service to and from airport.

Someone at the meetup yesterday suggested an alternate of Trinity. So now I need to look at Ruth and Trinity. Apparently, Trinity is on Trinity Lake and is beautiful.

tc_fullake_runway2.jpg

Ruth lake looks like a cool spot. The map says 8.1 mi to the airport From lake.www.tcpilots.org website shows that trinity center has a KOA next to airport and says new for 2012 free shuttle service to and from airport.

Thanks for the link:

Trinity Center enjoys a small, year-round population (many of whom are pilots,) that increases during the summer vacation months. Local attractions include camping and hiking, mountain biking, boating, house boating, fishing, hunting, wildlife viewing, Scott Museum and sightseeing.

For the 2012 season, KOA campground will provide transportation to and from the airport. The campground is a 1.7-mile walk from the airport tiedown area, has lots of tent campsites and is located on the lake just across the creek from the northwest end of the airport. KOA has a store, hamburger stand (burgers, sandwiches, pizza, etc.), pool, kids playground, and boat docks.

When you make your reservation, let them know that you will need to be picked up at Trinity Center Airport. Then call them the day before your arrival to confirm your ETA. See the Trinity Lake KOA website for campground and reservation information.

Jim, I think you said you need a hotel? Here is more on Trinity:

Trinity Center, California

Have you ever wanted to really get away from it all? Author Michael Coyle found the perfect place to do that and more at Trinity Center, California. You’ll approach the airport right over the waters of Trinity Lake, where you can rent a houseboat, swim, or fish. If mountains are more to your liking, Coffee Creek Ranch offers hikes and guided pack trips into the surrounding Trinity Alps. Or, for the ultimate in seclusion, head to the one-square-mile Almay Ranch, which is only rented out to one party at a time, to commune with nature in solitude.

I got all my questions answered from "Inn of the Lost Coast". Hope this helps some of you.

Hi Kimberly Ann,

The $150 is the least expensieve (plus tax) and we do give a 10% discount for fly ins.

There is no minimum and you can stay 1 nite. We have a van and can pick you up at the runway and you also have use of the van while here.

We do have pet friendly rooms and there is a $10 charge for pets.

Cancellation policy is 48 hours but of course we allow leeway for flyers.

Please call us at the toll free #888 570 9676, if you would like to make arrangements.

We do not charge your credit card untill check in.

Innkepper

Last edited:
Jim, I think you said you need a hotel? Here is more on Trinity:

Trinity Center, California

Have you ever wanted to really get away from it all? Author Michael Coyle found the perfect place to do that and more at Trinity Center, California. You’ll approach the airport right over the waters of Trinity Lake, where you can rent a houseboat, swim, or fish. If mountains are more to your liking, Coffee Creek Ranch offers hikes and guided pack trips into the surrounding Trinity Alps. Or, for the ultimate in seclusion, head to the one-square-mile Almay Ranch, which is only rented out to one party at a time, to commune with nature in solitude.

I'm not sure Trinity (or Ruth) would work well as alternates since the few places that I can find to stay near them either aren't set up to handle last-minute cancellations or even last minute single night reservations. (Unless someone sees some accommodations near either one that I've overlooked that would work.) And ground transport appears to be iffy. I assume camp grounds are probably more flexible, but we aren't big on camping anymore.

Of the options mentioned so far, Rohnerville (FOT) and Happy Camp (36S) look the most plausible, but 36S is 100 nm from Shelter Cove, meaning probably another hour flying for you Californians (or even us if we get to Shelter Cove and find we have to divert.)

I think that one thing that affects choice of alternate is when the choice is made. Same-day choice makes it tough; diversion in flight from Shelter Cove to one of the others is even tougher. Night before, not as bad.

I'm not sure Trinity (or Ruth) would work well as alternates since the few places that I can find to stay near them either aren't set up to handle last-minute cancellations or even last minute single night reservations. (Unless someone sees some accommodations near either one that I've overlooked that would work.) And ground transport appears to be iffy. I assume camp grounds are probably more flexible, but we aren't big on camping anymore.

Of the options mentioned so far, Rohnerville (FOT) and Happy Camp (36S) look the most plausible, but 36S is 100 nm from Shelter Cove, meaning probably another hour flying for you Californians (or even us if we get to Shelter Cove and find we have to divert.)

I think that one thing that affects choice of alternate is when the choice is made. Same-day choice makes it tough; diversion in flight from Shelter Cove to one of the others is even tougher. Night before, not as bad.

I am in contact with locals in Shelter Cove and I plan to watch the airport daily (not sure if it has AWOS but I can look at webcams).

Unfortunately, since it is such a killer destination, my plan is this:

1. Tell everyone Shelter Cove and the alternate, full information on both (and for me, I'll make reservations at both as long as they don't charge my card).

2. Get everyone's phone numbers and decide on a "cutoff" time the day of Saturday. This won't work for people going in on Friday. I don't know if there is cell service in Shelter Cove but some hotels have wifi.

3. Call everyone with the decision, even if it is Shelter Cove. Leave messages with instructions. Post on all boards too (4 boards).

The reason I want to decide on Saturday morning is because a lot of people have said the surrounding areas will be clear and you can duck under the clouds to land (depending on how high they are). I personally think my "cutoff" time should be no later than 11am but I'm waiting to hear back from my local contact in the town.

Back