Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control on a bike

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
Alright, so I have been installing this cruise control on my bike, a 1993 Honda VFR750, and I've come to a dead end. The guys on the motorcycle forum haven't been of any help either. I seem to have more solutions to any issues I have on here than anywhere so here you go.

I have the CC servo mounted and wired up. I am trying to figure out a way to hook the servo cable up to the throttle pulley. I had two ideas but neither of them worked. First I tried connecting a wire to the barrel pin between the throttle cable and pulley, but the wire was too thick. Then I tried to JB weld a bolt sticking out of the cable to attach a lever arm to. After two attempts the JB weld popped loose with only hand tight pressure. So I don't know what to do. I have a various assortment of attachment items that came in the box to try and use, I'll try to snap a pic of what I have to work with. But I am also open to getting this done however possible. I am heading to Oklahoma this week and would like to take a bike up there, not pieces.

All three cables

Top view

Another

What I was trying to do with the bolt. I really like this way, it gives me more throw and more leverage. Both are preferred in the manual. Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the JB weld? Both times after letting the 4hr quick cure stuff sit for ~10hrs, it came right of and is still very pliable. It peeled right off of both surfaces. I roughened both of them.

Thoughts.

Can you thread a hole in that outer pulley face for the bolt? If not, I wonder if you could have one welded on... what material is the pulley?

I'm not sure. Here is a bigger pic of just the pulley. I don't know where it goes behind is what I would worry about. Plus I don't have anything to do that, I would have to buy it.

Throttle1.jpg

Here are the rest of the parts I have to work with. I also have a few basic materials to fabricate something simple if necessary.
100_1872.jpg

Last edited:
Can you take a picture of that pulley in two positions... one with throttle closed, one midpoint, one fully opened, so we can see the range of motion?

For those reading this thread, here's the installation manual.

It looks like you're supposed to use something like figure 4 on page 6... but your throttle pulley already is using both barrel cable connector locations with the existing cable.

Last edited:
Yes, that was the plan. But I can't get the JB weld to stick. Also, the beaded chain is listed as pretty much a requirement in the final installation. It gives you room to work the throttle manually without the CC cable moving all the time.

If the throttle opens by pulling the top cable rearward, I'd consider using something similar to option #3 on page 6, to clamp onto the existing cable.

Here is half throttle
100_1874.jpg

Here is full, had to snap it quick before the bike ran off :)
100_1875.jpg

Here are the three cables coming in under the frame. There is not much room for the bead chain and servo cable.
1.jpg

If the throttle opens by pulling the top cable rearward, I'd consider using something similar to option #3 on page 6, to clamp onto the existing cable.

It opens from the top cable pulling from right to left. The problem with that one is that the cable wraps so far around the pulley, it would be hard to get something in there. Also, the cable protector is pretty close so it would be hard to get the necessary throw.

Well, that confirms it opens via that top cable... perhaps some of the motorcycle-heads on this board will have a good idea about how to clamp on / interface with that existing top cable.

I have thought about mounting it from the other side and pulling from the bottom. But the options for mounts to the pulley and the cable are equally limited.

It opens from the top cable pulling from right to left. The problem with that one is that the cable wraps so far around the pulley, it would be hard to get something in there. Also, the cable protector is pretty close so it would be hard to get the necessary throw.

You also don't have much room between the bead chain connector and the pulley... gonna be tight. I need a head scratching emoticon. :D

Loved your comment about having to take a full-throttle picture quickly so the bike wouldn't run off. :rofl:

You also don't have much room between the bead chain connector and the pulley... gonna be tight. I need a head scratching emoticon. :D

Loved your comment about having to take a full-throttle picture quickly so the bike wouldn't run off. :rofl:

Haha thanks, I don't get to make a funny too often.

I really really wish the lever idea would work. Seems like it would work out nicely if I could get it to stick. Maybe alternative methods of attachment. Anyone with some advice on using JB Weld? This is the 4hr quickset stuff. Sure doesn't set like they say it does where it's hard enough to machine... stuff from last night is still pliable enough to tear. Maybe some other epoxy?

1. JB Werld is not properly catalyzed if it's still that soft; but
2. The JB Weld is not gonna do it - never strong enough in shear to serve that purpose;

---

Man, it would sure be good if we could have a better idea of the overall composition of that pulley - had my druthers, I'd drill and tap two holes to attach a lever to.

1. JB Werld is not properly catalyzed if it's still that soft; but
2. The JB Weld is not gonna do it - never strong enough in shear to serve that purpose;

---

Man, it would sure be good if we could have a better idea of the overall composition of that pulley - had my druthers, I'd drill and tap two holes to attach a lever to.

From what I can tell on the motorcycle forums, it's a very brittle piece of aluminum. I've been told twice to be very careful if I was going to drill it, they have a tendency to shatter. JB weld's website claims over 1000psi in shear if I remember. I wonder if after this initial bit ever hardens, I could build up around it some more to get it to cover at least a square inch. Surely I won't be putting 1000psi on there.

Can you drill through the 'stopper' on the end of the cable and put a small bolt through that? Or maybe through both cable stoppers and mount the lever across them.

Like this.

The problem there is that is the full throttle position. When it went to idle, it would make that piece perpendicular to where it is now. It would be hard to run the cable that way. Also, that piece is a lot bigger than in the pic.

Out of desperation, I went and bought some regular 15 hr JB weld just to see if that would hold better. So far it's looking pretty solid. I also found a better way to mount the cable. I will post pics later. I think while I have my bandaid on there I might do some looking around into drilling and tapping that center piece to really mount a bolt in there. Thanks for your help guys.

If there is sufficient material to do it without compromising the integrity of the underlying part, drilling and tapping the center pivot is definitely the way to go.

Back