Audio Panel Installation Cost

Mike K

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike K
I have dual nav/coms (Narco 12Ds) in my 1977 Cessna 150 which are run through an ARC Audio Panel(has a MB. I have been thinking about replacing the problematic Cessna audio panel with a Garmin 340 (has an intgerated intercom and MB. Does anyone have a ball park figure as to the installation cost to do this by an avionics shop? I was thinking of buying a used/refurbished audio panel. I'd just like to determine an estimated cost before making the calls to various avionic shops.

Thanks,

Mike K.

I bought a new GMA-340 for my '71 Skyhawk last Spring. Installation costs can be difficult to peg. At the same time I had a Narco MK-12+ w/GS added to the MK-12D, and some other work performed. As I understand it, "installation" is one thing, by itself. Properly done, I'm told, all existing wiring should be checked for condition. Time-consuming, and proportionately costly. Be sure to know the method of your installer, if you shop for "best installation quote."

HR

Last year I added a second Narco Mark 12D, removed a LORAN, ADF and MB receiver, and had a new (i.e. never used) TERRA audio panel installed along with the jacks for the intercom that was integral to the audio panel. I also had an avionics master switch, two PPTs installed and my Garmin III hardwired. Labor was around $1800. Estimates ran from $1600 to $2500.

It might seem like a small job, but it really isn't because you might have to add all new wires if your old one are not shilded & also since there is no intercom now, you need to run all new wires for that.

I would guess 20-30 hrs labor.

Just a quick reminder of something I once forgot. Whenever you rearrange your avionics or get new ones, get the compass swung.

I'd figure about an hour per connection (nav1, com1, nav2, com2, dme, adf, music source, front two headsets, plus 2-5 hours per intercom location in the rear cabin depending on how much of the interior has to be removed. That's on top of the physical swap which would probably take 4-8 hours depending on how accessible the radio stack is.

So two navcoms and four seats of intercom jacks (you'll need new jacks and wiring unless they are already stereo) should take about 15-20 hours at whatever the shop rate is.

Back