Audible dot com

OtisAir

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
OtisAir
Just signed up for Audible audio books and would like any recommendations for "gotta get this audio book".

So others can benifit from your recommendations, please don't feel the need to limit this suggestions to aviation only.

Many Thanks!

Title ....... Genre ...... Notes (something like this maybe)

I'll have to look for Flight of Passage, Kent. I haven't listened to a lot of audio books, but the first one I heard, "The Da Vinci Code", was so good I got hooked on trying audio books--and didn't like any of them as well as that first one. The version I heard was like the old time radio plays. Not only read well, but sound effects, etc.

I'll have to look for Flight of Passage, Kent. I haven't listened to a lot of audio books, but the first one I heard, "The Da Vinci Code", was so good I got hooked on trying audio books--and didn't like any of them as well as that first one. The version I heard was like the old time radio plays. Not only read well, but sound effects, etc.

Well, Flight of Passage is read by Rinker Buck himself. No music or sound effects other than what he does with his own voice, but he does kind of impersonate the others in the book. :yes:

The best Audiobook I've heard thus far is one I never thought I'd like:

Life of Pi

Give it a shot, I had to listen to is a second time as the author is so clever at humor that I missed a bunch in the beginning; but it is hilarious, exciting, sad, and leaves you almost looking for a traffic jam so you can listen to more.

The narrator does an outstanding job too.

Good Ones:

Brother Odd (Koontz)
Odd Thomas (Koontz)

Also, Hornet Flight wasn't too bad.

Patrick O'Brien, Aubrey/Maturin Series (18 books).

The best historical fiction yet written.

If you're unfamilar, the movie Master and Commander was loosely based on these novels, but was as close to capturing the books as Cecil B. DeMille did the Bible.

The Harry Potter series is fantastic on audio. Also Robert Kurson's book Shadow Divers is pretty good.

Patrick O'Brien, Aubrey/Maturin Series (18 books).

The best historical fiction yet written.

If you're unfamilar, the movie Master and Commander was loosely based on these novels, but was as close to capturing the books as Cecil B. DeMille did the Bible.
I read the first one. Did not get into it, but they have been that I got burned out reading all the Hornblower series. That is also a good series and worth a read.

I read the first one. Did not get into it, but they have been that I got burned out reading all the Hornblower series. That is also a good series and worth a read.

O'Brien draws deep from Jane Austen. There is a bit less buckling of swashes and much more fine, intimate dialogue laced with wit and irony between educated, articulate, interesting people.

The naval engagements are described with O'Brien's particularly Napoleonic-era naval flair, and are certainly riveting.

But after the powder smoke clears O'Brien continues to keep the reader spellbound with the intricate details of life on an 18th Century Man-o-War.

The naval references are many and arcane: "Double hog that dog bivet, Mister Hobbes!"

There are reference books available to help make sense of all the salty jargon. But even without the references the books are a great read -- or listen!

One of my favorite lines:

"Mister Harwell, the schoolmaster, has spent too much time in the company of children, thus rending him unfit for the company of adults."

Back