Audi Q7 Turbo Diesel Wagon ... or another best SUV thread.

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
So hit me with the bad stuff about the Audi Q7 TDI. Or the good stuff if you want to. We're thinking about getting one. :)

It looks perfect for flygirl for those ten minute grocery runs into town on gravel and asphalt rural roads. The roads are narrow with no shoulders in some places. Weather can be inclement at times.

I have a diesel transfer tank in my F350, so that would be a big plus to be able to fill the Q7 up on the farm. With a 600 mile range, that would not be often however. :wink2: I'm a believer in turbo diesels, so the Audi looks great. :redface:

So hit me with the bad stuff about the Audi Q7 TDI. Or the good stuff if you want to. We're thinking about getting one. :)

It looks perfect for flygirl for those ten minute grocery runs into town on gravel and asphalt rural roads. The roads are narrow with no shoulders in some places. Weather can be inclement at times.

I have a diesel transfer tank in my F350, so that would be a big plus to be able to fill the Q7 up on the farm. With a 600 mile range, that would not be often however. :wink2: I'm a believer in turbo diesels, so the Audi looks great. :redface:

I love diesels. I've driven diesel pickups since the beginning. I am much less enamored these days with diesel in the U.S. than I used to be. First in many areas you have a 20% premium buying diesel vs. gas. That sucks up the fuel mileage delta pretty quick. Second, diesels have gotten very complex (super expensive pumps/injectors, DEF, EGR, etc.) and inevitably very expensive to own out of warranty regardless of brand. Are the new diesels nicer to drive, 110% yes, but are they worth the cost? I don't know you'll have to decide. I love the idea of a diesel AWD wagon BTW, we just looked at them, but decided on a 400HP Denali instead. I would just make sure and look at all the options and long term cost first.

BTW, they tested diesel in all the vehicles at the stock show in Ft. Worth. Red Diesel here is a $10K fine. They paid A LOT of salaries that day. Be careful if that's what you're planning to do.

BTW, they tested diesel in all the vehicles at the stock show in Ft. Worth. Red Diesel here is a $10K fine. They paid A LOT of salaries that day. Be careful if that's what you're planning to do.

What a captive audience.... I bet 80% of the ranchers/farmers had red fuel in their tanks too....:eek::hairraise:...

Kinda like ramp checks at airshows...:mad2:

Subaru forester. I had a 2007. Drove it a lot in snow thru central pa. Western NYS. Great all round SUV.

I love diesels. I've driven diesel pickups since the beginning. I am much less enamored these days with diesel in the U.S. than I used to be. First in many areas you have a 20% premium buying diesel vs. gas. That sucks up the fuel mileage delta pretty quick. Second, diesels have gotten very complex (super expensive pumps/injectors, DEF, EGR, etc.) and inevitably very expensive to own out of warranty regardless of brand. Are the new diesels nicer to drive, 110% yes, but are they worth the cost? I don't know you'll have to decide. I love the idea of a diesel AWD wagon BTW, we just looked at them, but decided on a 400HP Denali instead. I would just make sure and look at all the options and long term cost first.

I keep taxed diesel in my truck and transfer tank, and non-taxed in a ground tank for the tractors, that gets delivered. I know better than to flirt with the fine. They can rescind your tax status and levy back tax too.

The new Audi just looks like a safe car with all the modern airbags and stuff for flygirl and passengers to run around. And I like diesels for many reasons, mainly for their convenience for my setup since I have diesel on site all the time. I don't like to store gas, and I won't store it on the farm. :nonod:

I like to be frugal however, and paying the $4K premium for the engine and then paying more for the diesel cuts into my frugality meter. I can buy a lot of unleaded for $4 thousand dollars. They have a super charged gas engine with similar power, but then there goes your mileage. Oh well, I may stick with our eco-friendly Escalade:rolleyes: a while longer. :confused::nonod:

I keep taxed diesel in my truck and transfer tank, and non-taxed in a ground tank for the tractors, that gets delivered. I know better than to flirt with the fine. They can rescind your tax status and levy back tax too.

The new Audi just looks like a safe car with all the modern airbags and stuff for flygirl and passengers to run around. And I like diesels for many reasons, mainly for their convenience for my setup since I have diesel on site all the time. I don't like to store gas, and I won't store it on the farm. :nonod:

I like to be frugal however, and paying the $4K premium for the engine and then paying more for the diesel cuts into my frugality meter. I can buy a lot of unleaded for $4 thousand dollars. They have a super charged gas engine with similar power, but then there goes your mileage. Oh well, I may stick with our eco-friendly Escalade:rolleyes: a while longer. :confused::nonod:

I loved the new Audi also for all the reasons you mentioned. I also understand the fuel storage thing very well. The gas they sell today is straight horse ****. I can't keep a small engine running with the stuff unless it's less than a month old.

BTW- I started looking at used Escalade's and Denali's because I wanted the drivetrain unique to them and unavailable in a Suburban or Yukon, but I'm fine with used vehicles. The used prices were very high, so much so that it just didn't make sense to buy used. Just something to keep in mind with that out of fashion Escalade.:)

I loved the new Audi also for all the reasons you mentioned. I also understand the fuel storage thing very well. The gas they sell today is straight horse ****. I can't keep a small engine running with the stuff unless it's less than a month old.

BTW- I started looking at used Escalade's and Denali's because I wanted the drivetrain unique to them and unavailable in a Suburban or Yukon, but I'm fine with used vehicles. The used prices were very high, so much so that it just didn't make sense to buy used. Just something to keep in mind with that out of fashion Escalade.:)

It's almost comical the economy the Escalades get, and the puny fuel tank they put on them. They may be all powerful and luxury, but a Texas traveling diesel truck, they are not. :nonod:

If they had put like my F350's powerstroke in the Escalade, it would probably launch as good, get twice the mileage, and tow more.

Did you drive a Q7? I'm talking out of my grill because I have not even driven one.

It's almost comical the economy the Escalades get, and the puny fuel tank they put on them. They may be all powerful and luxury, but a Texas traveling diesel truck, they are not. :nonod:

If they had put like my F350's powerstroke in the Escalade, it would probably launch as good, get twice the mileage, and tow more.

Did you drive a Q7? I'm talking out of my grill because I have not even driven one.

The wife did, she's the harder one to please. She said it drove like a Mercedes, I doubt the driving quality will be an issue.

Aside:

My Duramax came with a 25 gallon tank (short bed). Pulling a skid loader (with a bunch of other crap along for the ride) to the mountains was super frustrating. I was stopping every 150 miles, just so I didn't run out. I had to put in one of those aftermarket 40 gallon tanks for towing.

The Denali has been good, 31 gallons and 18 MPG outlasts my bladder.

The wife did, she's the harder one to please. She said it drove like a Mercedes, I doubt the driving quality will be an issue.

Aside:

My Duramax came with a 25 gallon tank (short bed). Pulling a skid loader (with a bunch of other crap along for the ride) to the mountains was super frustrating. I was stopping every 150 miles, just so I didn't run out. I had to put in one of those aftermarket 40 gallon tanks for towing.

The Denali has been good, 31 gallons and 18 MPG outlasts my bladder.

Just like everything else, we like our gas tanks big in TX. I sure do. :wink2:

The freedom from having to stop is worth tons. My F350 with it's 30 gallons and it's additional 110 gallons in the transfer tank makes for about a 2000 mile range give or take. After witnessing people run out of everything on the road during hurricane Rita, I'm happy about that.

I pull a 22' gooseneck with our one ton. Them there gooseneck's will spoil you man ... ;)

images

Back