Auction Find - Machined Parts, what are they?

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Wife and I went to the local auction. I picked up this box of misc machined parts for next to nothing. I have a machine shop in my backyard and figured I'd use them for something. The quality is quite good. I've been searching around and noticed that this stuff goes for a nice amount of money. Anyone know how to market this stuff? There's no part number on most of it. The gear reduction boxes have part numbers, the rest don't. I can count teeth, and mic whatever needs to be mic'ed. There's some anti backlash gears, gear heads, stuff with screwjack threads on it etc… But it's seems it's going to be hard to articulate just what it is so that a potential buyer can find it. Pics attached.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
You might be able to sell those gearboxes on eBay, but I think the rest is pretty paperweights.

You might be able to sell those gearboxes on eBay, but I think the rest is pretty paperweights.

I spend 30 minutes and $10 with scrap metal and turn it into a $50 lamp, I'll figure out something to do with it. :)

The gearboxes are worth something, the gears a little too if you can identify them. The bearing mounts might be worth something to someone too. Ebay and Craigslist might work.

I think he bought it all to make a piece of mechanical art, not to resell as components to the assemblies they were made for, then he saw what the parts sell for. Probably be better off selling the art.

Those parts look like they are for a CNC machine. You would have to try and get at least part "kind" by using teeth measurements and such, as you mentioned, but I would market it that way locally on craigslist first. Then go bigger with the remaining "harder to sell" items.

P.S. I sent the pics to my engineer buddy who is creating a new kind of 5 axis machine and might be interested in your wares. I'll message you with his info if he gives me the thumbs up.

Last edited:
Back