Au bon pain lovers

Neat video, looks like fulfilling work. The only time I ever ate at one of those was in Brussels. It was the only place I could afford to eat lunch.

They're ok...

But one time stopped for lunch at Water St one in NY (Way down near Wall St).

I ordered chicken soup.

I carried it to the table and thought "Wow, someone in here doesn't smell very good..."

Then I sat down -- it was the soup -- stunk to high heaven like BO.

So, though I usually stop by the one in Crystal city or KPIT for a sandwich, no more soup!!

My arms ache watching that.

I spent many hours as a kid rolling croissant and other butter pastry doughs.

That was one hell of a production setup...

Cheers,

-Andrew

I am sorry I used that phrase for the thread title.

I am not talking about that stupid fake French restaurant one sees in the mall.

The video is a real honest to goodness boulangerie's baker making all the croissant, pan chocolates and other pastries. It is a surprisingly interesting video.

I am sorry I used that phrase for the thread title.

I am not talking about that stupid fake French restaurant one sees in the mall.

The video is a real honest to goodness boulangerie's baker making all the croissant, pan chocolates and other pastries. It is a surprisingly interesting video.

OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are some decent boulangeiries in Quebec now.. :thumbsup:

That was one hell of a production setup...
That is what I thought too!!

As I kept thinking of how cool that is and what a neat place to work, I then realized that tomorrow he would be doing the same thing and then again the next and the next and the next, etc.

As I kept thinking of how cool that is and what a neat place to work, I then realized that tomorrow he would be doing the same thing and then again the next and the next and the next, etc.

Not to mention the level of experience required to ensure that the butter and dough roll out to the proper dimensions -- that's a monumental PITA to learn.

I will say that his croissants made my stomach grumble!

Cheers,

-Andrew

I worked in a Bagle Baker and have baking in my blood, My grandfather was a baker made a kick ass rye!

That's what some people say about commercial aviation too. ;)

Some nice looking pastries.
I made Madeleine cookies a couple of weeks ago. Took me over an hour for 18 cookies. (I am not very practiced in the kitchen.) I couldn't imagine doing 100's of them, every day.

I could. There is something uniquely fulfilling about creating good food. I never tire of it.

I worked as a bakers assistant some 10 yrs ago for $6 / hr and loved it. I made scones every morning and then we would make one different type of bread each day.. pan d'compagne (sp?), whole wheat, foccacia (my favorite dough it was so lovely smooth), bagets and I forget what else. We baked on the 3rd floor of the Holland Hotel and I had to go up and down the stairs to the proofing oven and baking ovens. Which was good exercise to work off some of the bread we ate each day w/ coffee when we were finished! Also, we didn't have a fancy roller like the guy on the video - we did it all by hand.

It was wonderful to take the completed bread in a big basket across the street to the local restaurant that had a standing order - we sold the rest on a rack in the lobby - folks would choose what they wanted and leave the money in a box. We never had any of it stolen - and people would leave IOUs and requests in the box as well.
I finally had to quit because the early hours were messing w/ my sleep and the rest of my activities. But it was fun while it lasted. I can sure understand why bakers and chefs in general are plump :)

Back