Attn: Women Pilots

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
Mary and I just finished building this fantastic new room at Amelia's Landing Hotel, commemorating all Women Pilots. In addition to brand, new...everything...we've managed to find, print, and frame portraits of pioneer women pilots going back to 1912.

Next time you're near Mustang Island, land and check out your room!

http://ameliaslanding.com/women_pilots_room.htm

We've even got a large scale model of Jackie Cochrane's record-setting North American F-86 Sabre hanging from the ceiling: :D

Women-Pilots-F-86.gif

Hope you have a picture of Jerry Mock.

We didn't need a picture. Unlike Amelia's Landing, Jerry Mock actually stayed at our house. She knocked back vodka-tonics to the wee hours and was up bright and early the next morning. Quite an interesting woman and still going strong (and she still fits into the skirt she wore on her around the world trek).

Congrats to you and Mary for a new themed room..:thumbsup:

Now..... For the problem... I am calling sexual discrimination as there does not appear to be a "Mens Pilot Room"..... :dunno:.

I will be calling the ACLU this morning and filing a complaint..:yes:;):D

We didn't need a picture. Unlike Amelia's Landing, Jerry Mock actually stayed at our house. She knocked back vodka-tonics to the wee hours and was up bright and early the next morning. Quite an interesting woman and still going strong (and she still fits into the skirt she wore on her around the world trek).

Color me jealous.

Now..... For the problem... I am calling sexual discrimination as there does not appear to be a "Mens Pilot Room"..... :dunno:.

Get in line. :D

This was the last room that required major work. A real milestone, after spending three years mudding...

It's as close to perfection as we could make it. I think the 99s are gonna love it.

Last edited:

Well, and also, note that any thread entitled "Attn: Women Pilots" started by userid="Sac Arrow" would probably get autodeleted upon submission!

Our fervent hope is that some loving couple will stay in this room, and the woman will be inspired by it to learn to fly.

When you see the fragile contraptions that these women flew, back in the teens and twenties, and you stop to think of the ENORMOUS impediments they faced by doing so, it is both frustrating and hopeful that 21st century women will head to the airport in greater numbers.

The fact that only 6% of pilots are women just ****es me off. We NEED them, now.

Ben, you want to hang out in the pilot's men's room? :eek:

Not that there is anything wrong with that. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Our fervent hope is that some loving couple will stay in this room, and the woman will be inspired by it to learn to fly.

When you see the fragile contraptions that these women flew, back in the teens and twenties, and you stop to think of the ENORMOUS impediments they faced by doing so, it is both frustrating and hopeful that 21st century women will head to the airport in greater numbers.

The fact that only 6% of pilots are women just ****es me off. We NEED them, now.

How about a free night for Becky and her spouse??! :D :yes:

I'd even chip in!

I'll hafta convince the boyfriend to stay in that room, or else he'll have to get his own! :D

Jay - You and Mary have come a long way since that first night, when you stayed up all night so you had one - one - room you were not ashamed to rent.

Your success is, in every sense of the word, hard-earned.

Jay - You and Mary have come a long way since that first night, when you stayed up all night so you had one - one - room you were not ashamed to rent.

Your success is, in every sense of the word, hard-earned.

Thanks, Spike, for being an "early adapter". Being a beta-tester always sucks. :D

Since you were here, that first year, we have, indeed, come a very long way. We just received TripAdvisor's highest rating (the "Award for Excellence"), which puts us in the top 10% of hotels in the world, so far as customer satisfaction.

As much as I hate on-line rating sites (for how easily they can be abused), it's nice to receive the recognition!

Back