Attic Insulation Question

OK, good deal. Now of course if you're using comp. roofing then the manufacturer will deny any warranty on an insulated roof. It never ends.

What fun would it be any other way? lol

In my case they sprayed the attic's floor, not the roof...

I was advised against applying the foam under the tiles / shingles....

Sprayed foam ( closed cell ) will provide the best insulation for a very long period of time...it's worth every penny.

I wouldn't use anything else...

Your roof's in Israel are tile ours are plywood and asphault shingle. I wonder if that makes a difference.

Compared to other insulating methods Cellulose insulation is more effective, cheaper and easier to put down.
One sales tool I used was to take 3 pennies and heat 'em up with a tupi torch until they glowed red. One went into a fiberglass bat and went right thru it. The next went into e block of expandable spray-in foam...right thru it. The third penny went into my palm that was insulated with a tennis ball sized ball of cellulose insulation and I would stand there and talk to the home owner while the penny cooled!

Humidity is ok but if you get it wet it will stick together in clumps that need to be broken up (we would just come out and feed them back thru the blower/chopper and all was good once more!)
You can do it yourself of have it done; you can have it blown into walls and other void spaces to get to R values not attainable with other insulations.

The yellow spray foam it great for places that are subject to moisture (and can be carved to form a ceiling in the attic roof rafters) but for ease of use and bang-for-the-buck Cellulose is hard to beat!

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-install-blown-in-cellulose-insulation/index.html

JMPO and YMMV
Chris

Compared to other insulating methods Cellulose insulation is more effective, cheaper and easier to put down.
One sales tool I used was to take 3 pennies and heat 'em up with a tupi torch until they glowed red. One went into a fiberglass bat and went right thru it. The next went into e block of expandable spray-in foam...right thru it. The third penny went into my palm that was insulated with a tennis ball sized ball of cellulose insulation and I would stand there and talk to the home owner while the penny cooled!

A red hot penny melting a hole through foam says absolutely nothing about foam's insulating qualities.

That's an elixir salesman tactic.

A red hot penny melting a hole through foam says absolutely nothing about foam's insulating qualities.

That's an elixir salesman tactic.

Maybe but it sure impressed a lot of customers thru the years!
The difference between Rape and Rapture is Salesmanship.

Chris

Aw, come on guys.. There is salesmanship in avation BIG time..... Most of you have to pay 30 bucks for a 2 dollar sparkplug.:eek::D.

And the sales line they use is " it will keep you alive because it is high quality and passed multiple quality checks"...... :(

Hello Barnum and Bailey...

Aw, come on guys.. There is salesmanship in avation BIG time..... Most of you have to pay 30 bucks for a 2 dollar sparkplug.:eek::D.

Come now, our spark plugs are probably $10 plugs. Piston is usually only a 2-3x above what they should be. Turbine is 10-15x. ;)

And the sales line they use is " it will keep you alive because it is high quality and passed multiple quality checks"...... :(

Hello Barnum and Bailey...
Yeah, even though modern automotive quality control yields better results than piston aviation multiple checks. Oh well. :(

Adam, more insulation is more better. You will end up saving the money in reduced heating and AC (especially heating). Our house in PA was built in the early 90s and had good insulation. Heating and AC bills were very low as a result. Were it my house, I'd go for whatever is going to provide the best R value. It'll also help resale should you decide that you want to move.

Adam,

There is a point of limited return with the foam; we can get about 98% efficiency. Still, I have customers who want the joist filled, despite telling them it is not needed.

Adam,

There is a point of limited return with the foam; we can get about 98% efficiency. Still, I have customers who want the joist filled, despite telling them it is not needed.

In Adam's case where he is using the attic space only for storage, do you recommend using the foam on the roof rafters or the floor joists? If you do the roof rafters, do you eliminate the soffit vents/ridge vents/gable vents? Guess if confused as to how you provide ventilation within the attic area when the roof rafters have been foamed.

I do understand that if you foam the floor joists, attic ventilation either through the soffit vents/ridge vents/gable vents is necessary to prevent condensation from warmer moist air getting from the living area into the attic. It isn't as clear to me how you handle the condensation issue if you foam the roof rafters.

Gary

In Adam's case where he is using the attic space only for storage, do you recommend using the foam on the roof rafters or the floor joists? If you do the roof rafters, do you eliminate the soffit vents/ridge vents/gable vents? Guess if confused as to how you provide ventilation within the attic area when the roof rafters have been foamed.

I do understand that if you foam the floor joists, attic ventilation either through the soffit vents/ridge vents/gable vents is necessary to prevent condensation from warmer moist air getting from the living area into the attic. It isn't as clear to me how you handle the condensation issue if you foam the roof rafters.

Gary

Gary,

We usually spray the ceiling rafters and close all vents/soffits. The foam is a breathing membrane, and it does not get mold/mildew so that eliminates the need for air circulation. As I told Adam, closing the soffits also helps prevent the roof from blowing off during a storm.

Shamless plug alert: We work from MA to MD (FL too). Sorry, had to do it lol

Back