Attention all CFI's and interested parties.

How about we declare that this is NOT ILLEGAL but smells bad enough that none of us would do it and get on to more important things like calling ground from the runnup area in Denver.

LOL, Lance. I would rather argue this point than that. At least this hasn't gone 200 posts.

But yes, I agree

Write a letter to the Chief Counsel. You'll get an answer back from Ms. McPherson in about four months. But before embarking on something that doesn't seem right, a good, smart CFI should be asking that very question -- does it seem right to do this? If that instructor thinks it seems right to be giving a PIC competency evaluation in an airplane that CFI isn't allowed to fly by him/herself, I have to question that CFI's judgement, no matter what the rules appear to say.

A "good, smart CFI" will avoid every appearance of evil -- and yet still watch his back, because after the accident, you are at the mercy of the FAA, Chief Counsel letter or no.

I will not do BFRs in airplanes I am not qualified in, even if the letter of the law may allow such.

There will always be holes and cracks in laws and regulations. In this case, they are there to make us safer. Let's agree to do the safe thing and forget about the holes and cracks.

Won't commit to a straight answer, will you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Nope. No way to know for sure if it's legal or not without asking that dear lady in DC. Absent her answer, all we can do is guess, and while I might decline to do something John Lynch said is OK without her imprimatur if it doesn't pass my sniff test, I don't second-guess him when he says "don't do it." Consider it middle-aged conservatism.

There will always be holes and cracks in laws and regulations. In this case, they are there to make us safer. Let's agree to do the safe thing and forget about the holes and cracks.
Well said, Peggy. And if everyone worked that way, there would probably be a lot fewer regs.

Back