Attempting to renew Class III after vision probs...

Matthew

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew
Suppose an airman has let his class-III expire after having surgery for a detached retina.

What would be a good guideline on the steps to get renewed? or a SODA?

Thanks

IIRC, you have to wait a certain amount of time to let the eye stabilize, then get a full eye evaluation from your eye doc documented on the FAA eye evaluation form (8500-7). Then take that form with you when you go to the AME. Bruce will be along shortly to fill in the details.

Ultradistilled:

(1) Doc has to be happy with the retina.
(2) Doc fills out 8500-7
(3) Doc administers and records either GOLDMAN or Humphrey visual fields, nothing else will do.
(4) Doc must state his followup period. If it's less than 6 months, the agency isn't going to be happy issuing you an SI. The Opthalmologist has to be THAT confident (but they usually are).

It's a special issuance, so a good AME gets it authorized before you get there, or on teh day of. A slovenly one pushes it off on you...."send it in, see what they'll do..." and that drives me bonkers.

Ultradistilled:

(1) Doc has to be happy with the retina.
(2) Doc fills out 8500-7
(3) Doc administers and records either GOLDMAN or Humphrey visual fields, nothing else will do.
(4) Doc must state his followup period. If it's less than 6 months, the agency isn't going to be happy issuing you an SI. The Opthalmologist has to be THAT confident (but they usually are).

It's a special issuance, so a good AME gets it authorized before you get there, or on teh day of. A slovenly one pushes it off on you...."send it in, see what they'll do..." and that drives me bonkers.

When you say "Doc", you are meaning the Opth, not the AME? I've already passed along the name of a good, proactive AME to this particular pilot. An AME who went 'above and beyond' to assist another pilot I know - helped him get all his ducks in a row before the exam began.

Thanks for the help.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back