Attack of the midgets!

NineThreeKilo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
NineThreeKilo
A buddy of mine is looking for a plane for flight training, trike like a grumman or PA28, etc, SO I've been perusing around the classifieds, which is a dangerous thing for me :yesnod:

Well I got a little off track on my mission to find a trainer for my friend and stumbled on these little guys

http://www.barnstormers.com/listing.php?mode=usersearch&user=107560

Aside from the fact that I dont trust a rotax as far as I can throw one.... well I could probably throw one kinda far... lets just say I dont trust em'

I think these would make a SWEET economical flyer, just flying to fly type of planes, 4gph, simple a pie, tailwheel and well, FUN!

.watermarked_77b99739b6ce9b2e88d1d6e7e3fb2800.jpg

I like this one, just not a fan of the phony gun, if I cant shoot it I dont want it lol
.watermarked_b83df1acfaae58c8be0f86b1092db31d.jpg

.watermarked_5dfed6b0c0d6fe0545bf475511a101a8.jpg

Looks like this one has spoilerons?

It would definitely be a fun show at the Saturday fly-in.

I've got lots of time behind 2 stroke Rotax's. If operated correctly they are very reliable engines. If not you can make a junk motor in minutes. Don

I thought many (most?) of those things used vw-derived engines ?

Picture #3: Is that the aileron on the top leading edge of the wing?

Picture #3: Is that the aileron on the top leading edge of the wing?

Kinda, it's a spoleron, it acts as the ailerons.

MU2s have them too, some other planes like the caravan have spoiler assisted alerons. I wonder f the original WWI plane had them too?

Honestly that French one really tempts me, it would be a awsome plane for when I just wanted to fly, but wasn't going to bring anyone else.

It's 65hp so at .5lbs per hp thats 5.4gph, cruse at 70% would yield about 3.8gph!
Would also be a awsome time builder.

I can give you a little insight on those airplanes....I actually was looking at buying the N11 when Jerry originally listed it back in the summer and I did a quasi-pre-buy on it.

Here is what I know:
If you were going to buy one, I would buy the Albatros. It is a very nice replica and while I did not do a pre-buy on it, it looked like a pretty well-maintained airplane.....but he wants 35k for it I believe.

The SPAD is absolute CRAP. It was built by some engineer who wasn't much of a pilot. It is not built to plans....more of an imagination. It does not even have standard flight controls....no ailerons....only spoilers on the wings. Everyone I talked to at the museum hates it.

The Nieuport is a very nice looking airplane, appears to be well built and in good shape. But, here are a few things to keep in mind:
-Contrary to the ad in Barnstormers, it was not built in 2010. It was built about 10 years ago. The original owner put around 150-200 hrs on it and then sold it to Jerry. The airplane was only flown once after the museum bought it and on that flight it lost power and nosed over in a farm field. The airplane was since repaired prop replaced and a Rotax rep inspected the engine, but it has not flown since. It is worth noting that the museum has photos of it on its nose in the field, but the log books are devoid of any mention of the incident or repairs.......

Last edited:
I thought many (most?) of those things used vw-derived engines ?
Graham Lee (the designer of the 7/8 scale Nieuports) preferred the Rotax 503, but many have used the VW engines as well. You will see an even mix out there. The N11 has a 503. I believe the SPAD has a Rotax as well.

Back