Attached thumbnails

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
For some reason attached pics are not showing up for me. They were displayed last week and as far as I know I haven't changed an settings. Any suggestions? I'm using XP, Explorer and Zone Alarm.

Dave

Dunno - they're working fine for me. Try doing a full refresh - ctrl-f5 - after the page is loaded.

Also try right clicking the attachment that isn't showing and click "Show Picture".

Are you seeing just a link? Or a Red X?

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

at first glance those weren't the kind of thumbnails I was thinking about! given that I've had toe issues lately...

All I get is text that says thumbnails attached. Geesh Elizabeth, didn't mean to gross you out this morning!!

Can't click 'em. Nothing happens.

Dave

Can you take a screenshot and post it for me?

was there one attached to this? I don't see any indications that there is/was?

Well...I've tried the control-shift-print screen; then control V and it's not posting it here. How should I capture and print it here?
I have attached a Word file that caputured it.

Dave

Press Ctrl-Shift-Print Screen
Click START and select Programs - Accessories - Paint to open MS Paint
Press Ctrl - V to paste the screenshot into MS Paint
Click File - Save As - and change the file type to GIF or JPG
Save the file
Post it here as an attachment

---

The word doc is also acceptable but will be bigger because your straight paste will be a bitmap instead of a compressed type like JPG/GIF

FYI, WinXP doesn't require Ctrl-Shift anymore.

And use Alt-Print Screen to just take a shot of the active window.

Dave Siciliano said:
For some reason attached pics are not showing up for me. They were displayed last week and as far as I know I haven't changed an settings. Any suggestions? I'm using XP, Explorer and Zone Alarm.

Dave

Having this same problem again. Even when I post; can't see the attached pics. Any suggestions?

Dave

Try right clicking on where the attachment should be and clicking "Show Picture" ?

I'm having the same problem too. I can't see the thumbnails in a thread from last week .

I've also encountered some other threads with attachments I don't see. I can however see the attachments in the posts in this thread.

I'm using Windows XP with Firefox 1.0.1 and I tried pressing ctrl F5, and if I right click on the image location I don't see the option to show picture.

Last edited:
Nav8tor said:
I'm having the same problem too. I can't see the thumbnails in a thread from last week .

I've also encountered some other threads with attachments I don't see. I can however see the attachments in the posts in this thread.

I'm using Windows XP with Firefox 1.0.1 and I tried pressing ctrl F5, and if I right click on the image location I don't see the option to show picture.

Yesterday, Adam Zucker had a great story posted, with photos at the end. The thumbnails did not appear in that section on my screen. Did you have the same problem? Other thumbnails on the site are fine.

HR

Nav8tor said:

Note that there is a New version of Firefox. Don't forget to get the upgrade. It won't cure the problem you reference, but get the newer version.

HR

Lawreston said:
Yesterday, Adam Zucker had a great story posted, with photos at the end. The thumbnails did not appear in that section on my screen. Did you have the same problem? Other thumbnails on the site are fine.

HR

I was able to see them yesterday. I just checked and I can still see them.

It's my privacy setting on Zone Alarm. If I turn them off, the tumbnails come thorogh. Haven't found a middle gound where I can leave some filtering on and still see them, but I'm working on it.

Thanks.

Dave Siciliano said:
It's my privacy setting on Zone Alarm. If I turn them off, the tumbnails come thorogh. Haven't found a middle gound where I can leave some filtering on and still see them, but I'm working on it.

Thanks.

Zone alarm?

Lawreston said:

HR

Curiously those were showing up for me the other day. Today they're not showing up. Absolutely no software or configuration changes on my end. Weird. Other threads with thumbnails work just fine so far.
Win XP Pro - Firefox 1.0 - Zonealarm

fgcason said:
Curiously those were showing up for me the other day. Today they're not showing up. Absolutely no software or configuration changes on my end. Weird. Other threads with thumbnails work just fine so far.

Same here.

You know I think what you may be seeing is that attachments can get deleted. I just checked the database and the attachments in question in this very thread are no longer listed in the file system or database.

So it may just be routine maintenance cleaning things up...

Greebo said:
You know I think what you may be seeing is that attachments can get deleted. I just checked the database and the attachments in question in this very thread are no longer listed in the file system or database.

That would make perfect sense. What is the purge rate? 7 days? Those were posted on 5-14 (7 days ago). Then again the attachments Dave and Chuck put on this thread on the 16th (5 days ago) is gone now too.

Last edited:
Lawreston said:

HR
I noticed the same thing in that post... and was beginning to think I was the only one.

Liz

azure said:
I noticed the same thing in that post... and was beginning to think I was the only one.

Liz

My Windows XP updated itself yesterday, and the pictures on Adams Brownie troop story disappeared. I don't know if there is a connection.

Joe Williams said:
My Windows XP updated itself yesterday, and the pictures on Adams Brownie troop story disappeared. I don't know if there is a connection.

I only offer this observation that I'm using Windows 2000(which doesn't automatically update), and Adam's posted photos weren't "there".

HR

Greebo said:

When I first read your message I checked the attachments in this thread and I could still see them. Then a hit ctrl-F5 and now they're gone.

I went back and looked at Adam's Thread about introducting GA to kids. I could see the thumbnails but when I clicked on one it came up blank. When I hit ctrl-F5 the thumbnails disappeared. That thread was only posted yesterday. Is the server deleting them that fast?

Something is definitely off base here. I'm looking into it but so far nothing sticks out as a reason for the files to go missing.

Ah.

I know whats wrong.

Some moron purged all the threads from his test instance of the website.

Only the test instance was using the real attachments folder because some moron forgot to change it.

Oops... copying back as many as I can now...

Ok, most attachments have been restored. Those which weren't...well... they're gone. :(

Back