ATP Written Prep (135)

Z06_Mir

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Radna
I always hear about Sheppard Air and I've used Dauntless in the past with great success. Those companies only offer prep for the 121 version of the ATP written. I'm wanting to take the 135 version because I have less than no interest in flying 121. What's the best prep out there right now? And are the ATP questions changing as quickly as like the CFII questions were? I'm assuming probably not since the entire test is changing in 2 months, but I also want to make sure I've got all my bases covered.

I used the gliem book with great success .

Use Sheppard Air...its the absolute easiest out there. It makes no difference if you take the 135 or 121 written for your ATP. Just use the SA, take the 121 test and learn the 135 regs when you need to.

Use the Sheppard Air and do the 121. There is less to know that way, IIRC, especially on the calculations, which if you use Sheppard Air, you aren't going to do anyway.

I'm using Dauntless for part 135.

I didn't realize Dauntless had a 135 version. Thanks!

I'd just prefer to stick to 135 because I'm a lot more knowledgable about 135 ops than 121 ops. And it's what I'd be doing, not airline flying.

I'll be honest...I'm using Shepard Air and maybe I'm missing something, because I don't share the same enthusiasm everyone else has for it. Of all of the written tests I've ever taken, I've always learned the material and then applied it to the test. The byproduct of such efforts were that I felt a little smarter as a result. With the SA method, I'm committing to memory that if the plane is red, then the answer with the smallest value is correct. I know this is the quick and dirty way to blast through it, but boy do I feel "dirty" using this method. At this point though, I just need to git-r-done and move on.

Plus another for Sheppard air part 121. It doesn't really matter which test you take and Sheppard's program will have you ready well before the sky falls on 8/1.

I'll be honest...I'm using Shepard Air and maybe I'm missing something, because I don't share the same enthusiasm everyone else has for it. Of all of the written tests I've ever taken, I've always learned the material and then applied it to the test. The byproduct of such efforts were that I felt a little smarter as a result. With the SA method, I'm committing to memory that if the plane is red, then the answer with the smallest value is correct. I know this is the quick and dirty way to blast through it, but boy do I feel "dirty" using this method. At this point though, I just need to git-r-done and move on.

In many ways, the ATP written is very outdated and much of the material is presented in a very different way than the real world deals with it. Don't feel dirty by making it easier on yourself.

In many ways, the ATP written is very outdated and much of the material is presented in a very different way than the real world deals with it. Don't feel dirty by making it easier on yourself.

Most of the writtens are. I'm not a fan of them in general, but it's also not my call on what the FAA requires. I am not nervous for the written in the least, I am nervous to see if I can hit 1500 two years from now!

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it to practice and take the test. I don't plan on going into the regionals, but, like I always say, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth it to practice and take the test. I don't plan on going into the regionals, but, like I always say, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it."

If you don't do it by August 1, it's going to be next to impossible to do it in the future on your own, without spending a ton of cash.

Just do it. Many non 121 jobs require the ATP even if it's not required by regulation.

If you don't do it by August 1, it's going to be next to impossible to do it in the future on your own, without spending a ton of cash.

Pretty much this is why I'm doing it. You never know.

Just do it. Many non 121 jobs require the ATP even if it's not required by regulation.

Do you think that will change after 8/1 given the difficulty/expense of obtaining it?

Back