ATP Requirements...?

WannaBePiloto

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
WannaBePiloto
Hey guys,

Call me a dumb dumb but I'm a little confused as to the flow of ratings when it comes to getting an ATP. I'm hoping someone will enlighten me regardless of how much flack I may take haha. I've got a few so I'll number them to keep answers organized the best I can. Don't feel obligated to answer em all if you don't have the time:

1) When you get an ATP rating... does it only get applied towards whatever you did the flight portion in (i.e. you can have an ATP for multi engine and go get a separate ATP for single engine)?

2) Could someone get their ATP rating with only a Commercial Airplane Single Engine rating and Private Multi-Engine rating?

3) If someone goes get their ATP rating accomplished; is the flight portion only done in whatever aircraft you have the commercial rating in? Can it be done in a simulator?

Just trying to improve my overall understanding. I appreciate anyone's time they are willing to put towards these questions!

Sincerely,
WBP

Hey guys,

Call me a dumb dumb but I'm a little confused as to the flow of ratings when it comes to getting an ATP. I'm hoping someone will enlighten me regardless of how much flack I may take haha. I've got a few so I'll number them to keep answers organized the best I can. Don't feel obligated to answer em all if you don't have the time:

1) When you get an ATP rating... it's not like a Commercial rating where it only applies to Airplane Single Engine/Airplane Multi-Engine/Rotor/etc... correct?
no…an ATP certificate is issued with ratings based on the checkride you took just like any other level of certificate.
2) Could someone get their ATP rating with only a Commercial Airplane Single Engine rating and Private Multi-Engine rating?
im not sure what you’re asking here, but you could have an ATP certificate with ASEL privileges, and still only hold private privileges for AMEL.
3) If someone goes get their ATP rating accomplished; is the flight portion only done in whatever aircraft you have the commercial rating in? Can it be done in a simulator?
The flight is done in whatever aircraft you decide to use. It can be done in a simulator through an approved training program, generally only done in conjunction with large airplane/jet training and certification.

no…an ATP certificate is issued with ratings based on the checkride you took just like any other level of certificate.

im not sure what you’re asking here, but you could have an ATP certificate with ASEL privileges, and still only hold private privileges for AMEL.

The flight is done in whatever aircraft you decide to use. It can be done in a simulator through an approved training program, generally only done in conjunction with large airplane/jet training and certification.
Yeah I guess question 2 was predicated on if I was wrong about my understanding of question 1 haha.

I appreciate the feedback. Thank you!

I’m not there yet, but from what I remember, there is ATP single-engine and ATP multi-engine, they are separate. The written for ATP multi is good for 5 years and you also need to take the week long ground school, usually around 4-5k. I think the scenario for the ATP single-engine is different though.

ATP is a Certificate, like Commercial and Private.

You then get Ratings on your Certificate. Most people start with Private Certificate, ASEL Rating.

You can have more than one level of Certificate. So you can have an ATP with ASEL rating AND Commercial AMEL rating, AND Private Glider Rating. They are on one card. The card will be ATP on the front, but on the back where your ratings are listed, it would say Commercial Privileges - and then list the Ratings at that level,

One thing to also know, you cannot do your ATP AMEL rating or written without completing an ATC-CTP training, which includes simulator time.

Back