Atlanta Driving/Skydiving

Not Kenny, but I've seen some crazy stuff on 285 -- drivers going 90 mph 2 feet from the car in front of them in heavy traffic while eating a bowl of cereal or reading the newspaper across their steering wheel. When I lived in Atlanta, traffic wasn't as bad as it is now and 285 was like a NASCAR race. I will confess to getting passed on several occasions while doing triple digits in my Porsche. The last few years it seems like it just gets bogged down and the speed component is not nearly as obvious.

yea when i was about 13 we drove to florida and going around atlanta was one of the most exciting parts of the trip. step mom was freaking out, dad was going at least 85 and getting passed on all sides by everyone including the state patrol. i just thought itd be cool to start in the right lane and switch all the way to the left lane. roads like 9 lanes each direction for a while.

Atlanta is the worst. Atlanta drivers don't care about anybody but themselves. If they force you off the road and you crash and burst into flames they couldn't care less, as long as they got around you. I've never seen a higher concentration of A-holes as I have on Atlanta highways.

Cept for me and Kenny of course.:)

I can't tell you the number of times even on a soupy day of mist and fog where I would have felt safer a thousand feet above in solid IMC... on partial panel.

I can't go to just any life insurance company because my flying is "risky activity." But, they don't have a single question about my driving on Atlanta city roads and interstates for 10-14 hours a day. :dunno:

So yeah... ANYTHING above ground is safer than on the ground in Atlanta traffic. I firmly believe I'll live a longer, healthier life being a full-time flight instructor than I will being a courier. :)

Besides, I can control a student's actions trying to kill me. I can't do anything about the idiot in the next traffic lane with a cell phone glued to the side of their flesh-covered hollow block.

Atlanta traffic is a nightmare. I used to ride my motorcycle to work up into the heart of the beast...no more.

People die in fiery car wrecks DAILY in Atlanta and no one bats an eye. Hell most just want them to push the wreckage and carcasses off to the side so they can get to where they are going.

Truly it is a sight to behold.

I join the Atlantans who think we have the worst traffic and most inconsiderate drivers on the planet.

I join the Atlantans who think we have the worst traffic and most inconsiderate drivers on the planet.

I'm in on this as well. I left ATL a few months ago for DEN. Some folks complain about traffic out here...I live 20 miles from work now, and it has never taken me more than 30 minutes door to door. I sat in numerous rush hours in ATL (0600-1000 and 1500-1900) for well over an hour.

Luckily I made it out of ATL without a scratch on my car...When I first moved there I was certain there were those that had, and those that would....of course my house is still on the market there, so if I go back, I could still fall into the "had" category.

Not only are they fast an inconsiderate...they left crap all over the road too!!! Kenny and Russ---ya'll remember the driver that lost the washing machine (or something like that) off the back of his truck a few years ago, and kept going...then another car swerved to avoid it, and hit the cement median killing the driver!!! They tracked the first driver down by surveillance video at the hardware store he bought the machine.

Yep, I can certainly say I'm glad I don't have to drive there anymore.

Kenny - Hurry up and get that CFI and get off the roads. :yes:

Not only are they fast an inconsiderate...they left crap all over the road too!!! Kenny and Russ---ya'll remember the driver that lost the washing machine (or something like that) off the back of his truck a few years ago, and kept going...then another car swerved to avoid it, and hit the cement median killing the driver!!! They tracked the first driver down by surveillance video at the hardware store he bought the machine.
Yep, I remember. You'd think folks would think twice about tying down their load but they don't.

The late Keith Kallen was always referring to the "ubiquitous ladder in the roadway." If we sent all the illegal aliens back to Mexico, the ladder manufacturing industry would dry up! Between ladders and alligators off the semi's, it will take a while for a washer to get me!

Kenny - Hurry up and get that CFI and get off the roads. :yes:
I'm working on it! Now that I'm moved and some headaches are behind me, I told my instructor to just put me on the schedule whenever.

Back