ATC clearance with 'clearance limit'

John777

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Louis
If your are cleared IFR to airport B and the ATC clearance has clearance limit, what does it sounds like ?
Can anyone provide with example phraseology ?

Thanks,

John.

You are cleared to XYZ, expect further clearance in XX minutes.

You are cleared to XYZ, expect further clearance in XX minutes.
Sir, I appreciate your help and time on this post.
Is the clearance limit referring to what you provided, usually given during enroute phase or on the ground?

John.

I'd say enroute when the system is getting backed up for some reason such as an airport emergency. On the ground they are doing ground stops these days.

Sir,

Thank you very much for you help and idea, have a great weekend !

john777

If your are cleared IFR to airport B and the ATC clearance has clearance limit, what does it sounds like ?

Every IFR clearance has a clearance limit. It is whatever immediately follows "cleared to". Example; "cleared to Podunk Municipal Airport via..." The clearance limit is Podunk Municipal Airport.

Sir,

Thank you very much for you help and idea, have a great weekend !

john777
Congratulations on your rapid improvement in written English, as well as chosing an appropriate date to join the forum. . .

Every IFR clearance has a clearance limit. It is whatever immediately follows "cleared to". Example; "cleared to Podunk Municipal Airport via..." The clearance limit is Podunk Municipal Airport.
Yes, that will be given on the ground via clearance delivery. But I am also concerned with clearance including clearance limit given while on the ground.
John.

I've never been cleared to anything other than the destination on the ground (though I don't go to places with flow control). I've been cleared into a hold enroute, however.

Yes, that will be given on the ground via clearance delivery. But I am also concerned with clearance including clearance limit given while on the ground.
John.

"Air." Same thing. Just remove the departure procedure or SID if given. Most likely it's still going to be an airport for the clearance limit if that's what you filed for.

Last edited:
I've filed to a fix with a 30 minute delay before returning to point of origin. The clearance limit I received was to that fix, with an EFC time 30 minutes into the future.

Hopefully the took the transit time from departure to the hold fix into account on the EFC.

John.

When you're cleared to the destination airport you are being given a clearance limit. I think you're confusing being given a clearance limit of your destination with being given a clearance limit that is somewhere short of your destination?

Either way, the format of the clearance will be the same.

Either way, the format of the clearance will be the same.
With the exception that an EFC will be given if the pilot will be expected to hold at the clearance limit or that no delay is expected if that is the case.

Thanks,

John.

If you've been given a clearance limit to some fix short of the airport B, then you are not "cleared IFR to airport B." Yet.

I have also been cleared, while in the air, to a fix. Period. No mention of what is to happen after that. "N1234 cleared direct NWHERE. Break. AA495 contact ABQ ctr 133.95. Break. N5678 descend and maintain etc." So you go to NWHERE. It's obvious he is busy and will fill in the rest later. Not by the book but that's real life.

With the exception that an EFC will be given if the pilot will be expected to hold at the clearance limit or that no delay is expected if that is the case.
could you rephrase your comment please?

Thank you.

could you rephrase your comment please?

Thank you.
He is just saying that if the clearance limit is not the destination, ATC is to include a statement of when you can expect to continue. That might be a specific EFC time or a statement that no delay is expected.

No delay is expected roughly translates to, "expect further clearance by the time you get there because there is a condition I expect it to clear up soon."

I have also been cleared, while in the air, to a fix. Period. No mention of what is to happen after that. "N1234 cleared direct NWHERE. Break. AA495 contact ABQ ctr 133.95. Break. N5678 descend and maintain etc." So you go to NWHERE. It's obvious he is busy and will fill in the rest later. Not by the book but that's real life.

"Cleared 'DIRECT' nwhere" is a whole lot different than "cleared 'TO' nwhere."

I have also been cleared, while in the air, to a fix. Period. No mention of what is to happen after that. "N1234 cleared direct NWHERE. Break...."
That isn't a change in your clearance limit; it is only a change in routing to NWHERE. Your routing after NWHERE is not changed.

If the clearance limit was being changed to NWHERE then the clearance would be "Cleared TO NWHERE". But that would not be a direct clearance, you'd stay on your present routing until reaching NWHERE.

If the clearance limit was bing change to NWHERE *AND* you were being cleared direct to NWHERE then the clearance would be "Cleared to NWHERE via direct".

That isn't a change in your clearance limit; it is only a change in routing to NWHERE. Your routing after NWHERE is not changed.

Well in this case it was, because I had just requested a new destination. So everything from that point forward was new, and all I was given was the first fix. He wanted to get me started in the right direction but hadn't worked out all the details yet and needed to deal with a bunch of other traffic first. Soon after, I got the rest of the route, which included destination.

Well in this case it was, because I had just requested a new destination. So everything from that point forward was new, and all I was given was the first fix. He wanted to get me started in the right direction but hadn't worked out all the details yet and needed to deal with a bunch of other traffic first. Soon after, I got the rest of the route, which included destination.

No, it wasn't, because requesting a new destination but not being cleared to it does not change your clearance limit.

So what did you do when you got to NWHERE?

I flew the remainder of the new clearance to the new destination; everything after NWHERE, which was provided soon after the D-> NWHERE.

Before you get to NWHERE, you request further clearance.
Indeed.
In this case I didnt have to, had 50 miles to the fix and he got back to me before then.
But there was a brief time there where I had no clearance beyond NWHERE.
It was no biggie to me.

Indeed.
In this case I didnt have to, had 50 miles to the fix and he got back to me before then.
But there was a brief time there where I had no clearance beyond NWHERE.
It was no biggie to me.
That's exactly the point. A few minutes delay in completing the clearance doesn't strike me as in the same category as a clearance to a clearance limit with nothing else. Although, in either case, all an EFC really tells you is when you can expect further instructions, not necessarily what those instructions would be.

That's exactly the point. A few minutes delay in completing the clearance doesn't strike me as in the same category as a clearance to a clearance limit with nothing else.

Um, I'm starting to go crosseyed on this one. I will assume you are completely correct!

Back