ATC Authority Over VFR in Controlled Airspace

Classified? I really, really doubt it.

PII or SBU? Probably. That's not a classification. BIG difference. You don't need a clearance.
Some of the security rules relating to the process of ordering an aircraft to land are classified. I just don't know much about what happened in this case, so I leave that possibility open. If someone knows of a full report of all the facts in the "Gateway" case, please post a link.

I don't think there's one word that needs to be revised. ATC has always given instructions to pilots using Flight Following in Class E airspace when operational considerations made it a good idea. I can't count the number of times I've gotten a Class E instruction to turn or climb or descent for traffic when near some routing being used for and approach or departure to or from a busy airport. It's only VFR pilots who came up with the idea that those instructions don't apply to them.

This reminds me of an interesting experience I had nearly missing a DA40

I too am used to ATC suggesting climbs, descents or headings for traffic that is expected to pass close to me if I can't get them in sight.

I was in class E airspace 3000ft. ATC calls out VFR traffic at 1900 feet and climbing toward me. They call out to me 3mi, not in sight, 2mi, not in sight, finally the controller calls out target 12 oclock, 1 mile 2800feet, 'targets expected to merge'. At this point I'm looking everywhere for this damn thing and reply "Not in sight, CAN YOU SUGGEST A HEADING" and the controller lazily replies "oh, a right turn about 30 degrees should do it" :mad2:

Turns out the damn thing was right under my spinner, I saw it when I made the turn and it was way too close, I could have flipped them the bird.

Anyway, don't assume they are going to give you a vector if traffic comes too close and you can't spot it.

I too am used to ATC suggesting climbs, descents or headings for traffic that is expected to pass close to me if I can't get them in sight.

I was in class E airspace 3000ft. ATC calls out VFR traffic at 1900 feet and climbing toward me. They call out to me 3mi, not in sight, 2mi, not in sight, finally the controller calls out target 12 oclock, 1 mile 2800feet, 'targets expected to merge'. At this point I'm looking everywhere for this damn thing and reply "Not in sight, CAN YOU SUGGEST A HEADING" and the controller lazily replies "oh, a right turn about 30 degrees should do it" :mad2:

Turns out the damn thing was right under my spinner, I saw it when I made the turn and it was way too close, I could have flipped them the bird.

Anyway, don't assume they are going to give you a vector if traffic comes too close and you can't spot it.

Aren't they required to give collision avoidance in this case? If something would have happened, I'd say negligent indifference.:mad2:

I'm not really understanding the argument here. Last I checked class E is controlled airspace - Isn't it the expectation to comply with vectors or altitude assignments when on FF?

No. There should be no expectation that a pilot comply to instructions while using radar advisory services. That is because the flight following service is not itself an exercise of air traffic control. The FAA's own internal orders make that clear.

Also note that the wording of 91.123(b) is:

"Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in an area in which air traffic control is exercised."

It does not say:

"Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in controlled airspace."

To VFR pilots, most of Class E is not an area where ATC is being exercised and nothing in any FAA internal or external documents or regulations show any different - regardless of whether they are using FF.

If i contact the approach controller to utilize his services, I'm putting myself in the system and I'm going to listen what papa has to say. I'm not seeing why this is an issue to even debate.
Since the whole point of a pilot using radar advisory service is to get help avoiding other traffic, I can understand your confusion. However, I believe the issue some have is a (partly) theoretical one, where a controller starts issuing orders that might, for example, ease the job of the controller but that have no direct impact on the pilot's safety and greatly inconvenience the pilot.

Also note that the wording of 91.123(b) is:

"Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in an area in which air traffic control is exercised."

It does not say:

"Except in an emergency, no person may operate an aircraft contrary to an ATC instruction in controlled airspace."

To VFR pilots, most of Class E is not an area where ATC is being exercised and nothing in any FAA internal or external documents or regulations show any different - regardless of whether they are using FF.
Jim's opinion is not shared by either the NTSB (see the Ellis case) or the FAA Chief Counsel (clearly stated in the letter which started this flap). Unless and until you can get the US Court of Appeals to overturn the FAA's and NTSB's common interpretation of that regulation, this is the law whether you like it or not, and you violate it at extreme legal risk -- the USCA very rarely overturns cases where the FAA and NTSB agree.

Aren't they required to give collision avoidance in this case? If something would have happened, I'd say negligent indifference.:mad2:

AIM 4-1-15 (b)(2) ... "VFR radar advisory service does not include vectors away from conflicting traffic unless requested by the pilot."

See AIM 4-1-15, 4-1-16, and 4-1-17.

No that controller pretty much played it by the book. He even used merging target procedures which in this case isn't required but most controllers still issue the phraseology "targets appear likely to merge." in this case I would have issued that much sooner to give the pilot a chance to request a vector. Controller could have issued a safety alert at the last minute but even that would be a judgment call.

So the controller 'does his job' and somebody gets hurt. If the controller uses common sense he can avoid someone getting hurt. What's wrong with that picture?

Jim's opinion is not shared by either the NTSB (see the Ellis case) or the FAA Chief Counsel (clearly stated in the letter which started this flap). Unless and until you can get the US Court of Appeals to overturn the FAA's and NTSB's common interpretation of that regulation, this is the law whether you like it or not, and you violate it at extreme legal risk -- the USCA very rarely overturns cases where the FAA and NTSB agree.

The facts of the Ellis case as presented don't address any aspect beyond what is already spelled out for operation in Class D airspace. You are drawing conclusions based on your own opinions beyond the facts that case was decided on.

Also, the letter at the beginning of this thread merely reiterates the regulation - it does not add anything new.

Since you insist you are able to read and comprehend these things better than I perhaps you can answer this:
Where does the FAA define where "air traffic control is exercised?"

EDIT: On re-reading the letter I see that it does indeed leap to defining the areas where ATC is being exercised as the simple test of asking only "Is the aircraft in airspace designated as Controlled," rather than "Is the aircraft open to control (has a radio,) is the communication required, and has the controller been authorized to control that airspace?"

Last edited:
EDIT: On re-reading the letter I see that it does indeed leap to defining the areas where ATC is being exercised as the simple test of asking only "Is the aircraft in airspace designated as Controlled," rather than "Is the aircraft open to control (has a radio,) is the communication required, and has the controller been authorized to control that airspace?"
Good.

Since there are no regulatory requirements that a VFR pilot in Class E using FF remain in contact with ATC, it would be trivial for a pilot to remain within the law and still disregard orders from ATC that the pilot found inconvenient.

It does appear that the the lawyer who wrote that letter made a definitional leap that he shouldn't have to no good end.

Since there are no regulatory requirements that a VFR pilot in Class E using FF remain in contact with ATC, it would be trivial for a pilot to remain within the law and still disregard orders from ATC that the pilot found inconvenient.

It does appear that the the lawyer who wrote that letter made a definitional leap that he shouldn't have to no good end.
Is there a provision in the CC Opinion process to allow a letter of rebuttal from the public...to give the opinion writer something to reconsider in his opinion?

It does not say:

I think it was pointed out in a previous thread that there are control towers in uncontrolled airspace, which could be the reason why the regulation is not worded that way. For example, when a temporary tower is set up for an air show, I don't think they create class D airspace for the occasion.

I'm not sure I agree. If they have the pilot on frequency and the instruction given, I think they'd have no problem convincing an ALJ or the NTSB that it was more likely than not that the pilot disobeyed an instruction s/he had received.

You are entitled to that opinion, but I for one don't share it, and I doubt anyone who's studied law would, either.

Some of the security rules relating to the process of ordering an aircraft to land are classified. I just don't know much about what happened in this case, so I leave that possibility open. If someone knows of a full report of all the facts in the "Gateway" case, please post a link.

If you feel that we don't have enough information about the events at Gateway, then let's set aside that example, and consider a general question. In situations not involving security, does a controller have the authority to order a pilot to land? If so, in what kinds of non-security-related situations would a controller have that authority?

Last edited:
Is there a provision in the CC Opinion process to allow a letter of rebuttal from the public...to give the opinion writer something to reconsider in his opinion?
One can write a letter requesting reconsideration, but it would require a lot of legal documentation for them to even consider it as opposed to "filing without action." AOPA's Legal and Governmental Affairs people have done this several times, and were successful in having the Alkalay letter on icing and the interpretation regarding instrument rating training counting for CP instrument training rescinded/clarified, but so far they've been unable to get the FAA to alter its position on the Mangiamele letter on reimbursement for business travel with passengers, and they have a host of expert aviation legal talent behind their work. I've seen nothing posted here on this thread which suggests anyone posting objections to this interpretation has any valid legal arguments in their favor -- just an anti-authoritarian attitude which brooks little favor with the FAA legal eagles or, so my attorney friends tell me, before the NTSB or a panel of USCA judges.

Last edited:
If you feel that we don't have enough information about the events at Gateway,
I don't know what you have, only what I have, and that is, in the Yiddish vernacular, bupkes.

then let's set aside that example, and consider a general question. In situations not involving security, does a controller have the authority to order a pilot to land? If so, in what kinds of non-security-related situations would a controller have that authority?
I have no idea, but I suspect this is such an extraordinary action that the FAA would handle it situationally. In any event, I doubt any individual controller would take such action without direction from a supervisor, probably much higher than that. I know that the decision to order all aircraft to land on 9/11 was made by Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta personally (I heard him tell the story live and in person a couple of years ago -- rather a chilling tale).

As for the "Gateway" event, can someone point to a source for a complete and reliable accounting of the facts of the situation? I'd like to read it.

I don't know what you have, only what I have, and that is, in the Yiddish vernacular, bupkes.

I have no idea, but I suspect this is such an extraordinary action that the FAA would handle it situationally. In any event, I doubt any individual controller would take such action without direction from a supervisor, probably much higher than that. I know that the decision to order all aircraft to land on 9/11 was made by Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta personally (I heard him tell the story live and in person a couple of years ago -- rather a chilling tale).

As for the "Gateway" event, can someone point to a source for a complete and reliable accounting of the facts of the situation? I'd like to read it.

I have no idea what Gateway is/was. Two recent cases where local atc ordered pilots to land: The glider in SC/TN. And the nonlicensed helicopter pilot in AZ.

I'm not really understanding the argument here. Last I checked class E is controlled airspace - Isn't it the expectation to comply with vectors or altitude assignments when on FF? If i contact the approach controller to utilize his services, I'm putting myself in the system and I'm going to listen what papa has to say. I'm not seeing why this is an issue to even debate.
Because there's a contingent who believe that unless on an IFR flight plan or inside D, C or B airspace, the pilot-ATC relationship is 1-way only - they get to assist us with flight following but we get to disregard what they tell us if we don''t like it.

See the length of this thread? The ones arguing the question before the Chief Counsel's letter were much longer.

I don't understand it much either but there it is.

I have no idea what Gateway is/was. Two recent cases where local atc ordered pilots to land: The glider in SC/TN. And the nonlicensed helicopter pilot in AZ.

The glider wasn't ATC. It was local law enforcement relayed by a unicom operator.

I have no idea what Gateway is/was.

See the third link in post #1.

Two recent cases where local atc ordered pilots to land: The glider in SC/TN. And the nonlicensed helicopter pilot in AZ.

ATC did not order the glider pilot to land. That came from a sheriff, relayed through an FBO. I'm not familiar with the event involving the unlicensed helicopter pilot.

I'm not sure I agree. If they have the pilot on frequency and the instruction given, I think they'd have no problem convincing an ALJ or the NTSB that it was more likely than not that the pilot disobeyed an instruction s/he had received.

The FAA would need to invent facts in order to make such a case. Otherwise in general they could not prove that the pilot even received the order, nor would they be able to cite any regulations that require a VFR pilot using FF service to attempt to stay in contact with ATC. Your scenario works only if there is a presumption of receipt of the instruction - but courts don't normally allow presumption of facts not in evidence.

Because there's a contingent who believe that unless on an IFR flight plan or inside D, C or B airspace, the pilot-ATC relationship is 1-way only - they get to assist us with flight following but we get to disregard what they tell us if we don''t like it.

See the length of this thread? The ones arguing the question before the Chief Counsel's letter were much longer.

I don't understand it much either but there it is.

It really doesn't make any sense.

Once, flying a 172 around Lake Tahoe while climbing at Vy (really slowly -- barely 70 KIAS at that altitude) with flight following, I got a traffic call for a Skylane at 6 o'clock at my altitude. I asked Center for a vector and got it. Center also instructed the Skylane to turn the other way. I'd have been really ****ed off if the response had been "I don't feel like it." Fortunately, the other pilot was a bit more mature than that.

IAs for the "Gateway" event, can someone point to a source for a complete and reliable accounting of the facts of the situation? I'd like to read it.

Other than what was on the LiveATC recordings that were posted, I doubt that that information will be made public unless there is an enforcement action that gets apprealed to the NTSB.

Last edited:
I believe law enforcement was involved in the latter case, and they have badges, guns, handcuffs, and the power of arrest. Dunno 'bout the glider case.

The FAA would need to invent facts in order to make such a case. Otherwise in general they could not prove that the pilot even received the order, nor would they be able to cite any regulations that require a VFR pilot using FF service to attempt to stay in contact with ATC. Your scenario works only if there is a presumption of receipt of the instruction - but courts don't normally allow presumption of facts not in evidence.
It appears you do not understand the difference between criminal law, where a case must be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and administrative law, where the FAA must only prove that it is "more likely than not". I believe we've had similar discussions on that issue before, and that I have previously suggested you read a good aviation law book, like Gesell's "Aviation and the Law," or a more practical pilot-oriented aviation law book like J. Scott Hamilton's "Practical Aviation Law." If you do that, I think you'll be better prepared to understand the legal framework within which these regulations are written and enforced.

It really doesn't make any sense.

Once, flying a 172 around Lake Tahoe while climbing at Vy (really slowly -- barely 70 KIAS at that altitude) with flight following, I got a traffic call for a Skylane at 6 o'clock at my altitude. I asked Center for a vector and got it. Center also instructed the Skylane to turn the other way. I'd have been really ****ed off if the response had been "I don't feel like it." Fortunately, the other pilot was a bit more mature than that.

Or the other pilot was acting on self preservation. I don't know what everyone's motivation is for debating this, but I get the impression that the problem some have with this new interpretation is a fear of unintended consequences. If FF is a mutually useful service with no negative consequences then people will use it and happily abide by ATC advisories - but the moment that its use triggers any sort of punitive control, then some people will stop using it and general safety declines needlessly.

Other than what was on the LiveATC recordings that were posted, I doubt that that information will be made public unless there is an enforcement action that gets apprealed to the NTSB.
Then until that happens, I'll reserve comment.

So, who actually originated the order to land in the "Gateway" case, as opposed to who relayed the order to the pilot? :dunno:

It appears you do not understand the difference between criminal law, where a case must be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and administrative law, where the FAA must only prove that it is "more likely than not". I believe we've had similar discussions on that issue before, and that I have previously suggested you read a good aviation law book, like Gesell's "Aviation and the Law," or a more practical pilot-oriented aviation law book like J. Scott Hamilton's "Practical Aviation Law." If you do that, I think you'll be better prepared to understand the legal framework within which these regulations are written and enforced.

I'm already familiar with the differences between the two types of law and the rules of evidence and differences in presumptions. Nothing in my understanding of the law tells me that the FAA gets a pass on any disputes over facts, such as whether a pilot received a radio transmission. I believe that is case specific.

Last edited:
So, who actually originated the order to land in the "Gateway" case, as opposed to who relayed the order to the pilot? :dunno:

It's not evident on the recording whether the controller made the decision on his own or consulted someone else in the tower. Since his stated reason had to do with her non-responsiveness to his instructions, it's hard to imagine anyone other than tower personnel being involved.

It appears you do not understand the difference between criminal law, where a case must be proven beyond reasonable doubt, and administrative law, where the FAA must only prove that it is "more likely than not".

If they even need to prove that. It's gotten rather worse since I worked heavily in administrative law matters. Ultimately it's possible to get them slapped down, but it takes action in the "real" court system (and at least one agency got the law written so that the first legal action must take place in the Court of Appeals, which bypasses the normal process and limits the ability to appeal).

There was a recent column in the Washington Post about this... it really should be required reading: http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...ral-agencies-federal-government-fourth-branch

I'm already familiar with the differences between the two types of law and the rules of evidence and differences in presumptions. Nothing in my understanding of the law tells me that the FAA gets a pass on any disputes over facts, such as whether a pilot received a radio transmission. I believe that is case specific.
Then you should also understand that because the ALJ's determination of witness credibility is both discretionary and generally final, the ALJ can find as a matter of fact that the pilot did hear the transmission which was recorded on tape even if the pilot denies having heard it, and absent a finding that the decision was arbitrary or capricious (and I guarantee you that if they have the pilot on tape immediately prior to the instruction that was ignored, that finding will not be made), that question is not subject to review by the NTSB or USCA. If not, you need to do some more legal reading, starting with the famous case of Administrator v. Merrell and move on through any case where "credibility" is a key word.

Last edited:
I do remember reading in some NTSB case or another that (paraphrasing) they do not second guess ALJ determinations of fact.

Why didn't YOU just turn without being prompted? You said you were at 3000' so were you IFR?

Ron the Gateway incident was a female pilot who was obviously screwed up. I can't remember but she did some sort of pilot violation that the controller thought was soo severe he thought he should make her land at her departure airport (gateway). He issued a vector and an altitude asignment as well. Im actually more concerned about the vector than his making the woman land. I'd be willing to bet he wasn't using a certified DBRITE but I degress. I brought the question up to my controller friends and they all said the same thing. No, they have no authority to make someone land outside of national security. I asked my brother about adhering to ATC instructions. He laughed and said yeah for seperation and sequencing not forcing someone to land who possibly commited a pilot deviation. That is handled with a phone call and marking the tapes. Anything above that the FSDO takes action on.

Once again for those who don't know. For national security reasons every facility has a Security Control of Air Traffic and Navigational Aids binder. When things hit the fan (war) you open this book to find out what you do in the event of a national security issue. I think I may have read through ours once because for approach it's a simple procedure. Every directive will come from center and that will come from either DOD or Sec of Transportation. That is the only document that specifically authorizes ATC to shutdown navaids and issue the order for someone to land. So as controller on position, you look at the sup and when he tells you, you start issuing the orders. You just don't simply do it on your own. I've work with CBP (Dakota) while doing ATC and they also have the authority as well. Although they usually wait til you land.

Too often we bring up things like Gateway and think this is the norm. This is an isolated incident from a controller who over stepped their bounds. All controllers aren't created equal and not everyone knows the rules. I have friends who complain daily about the quality of the new controllers being pushed through the system. I know my brother alone could write an article on the subject. Still, the overall system is far better than anywhere in the world. I think we should all be thankful for that.

Why didn't YOU just turn without being prompted? You said you were at 3000' so were you IFR?

3000 MSL is a perfectly legitimate VFR altitude over most of the country. It is almost always less than 3000 AGL (where you start worry about the hemispherical altitude rules). :D

3000 MSL is a perfectly legitimate VFR altitude over most of the country. It is almost always less than 3000 AGL (where you start worry about the hemispherical altitude rules). :D

Heh, true... I'm not used to talking in numbers lower than my 450' water well... :)

Back